Steampunk Goggles Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 13542 times)

Re: Steampunk Goggles Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

That is only on this forum and probably mainly from you. Oh yeah and this coming from a forum that created 18000 fake members!!! How accurate can the rating actually be if you have so many fake members. Why do we even need ratings in a forum? Haven't seen any other forums with freaking ratings! All I know is every single time I make a comment you are going against whatever I say no matter what it is!

Whatever, the ratings mean nothing to me considering there are 18000 supposed members on this forum, 90% or more of which are fake and created by Don and Alex, so how fair or accurate can the ratings actually be? Don't believe me, check out the UC, they have like 1000 members. Pretty weird that this place has to resort to creating members!

As of this moment, the home page at UC lists that there's 652 members there in total.  On this forum, we have a little over 700 members who've made at least one legit post and a lot of lurkers who prefer reading posts to writing them.  There's also double the posts here as well as double the topics and we recently had our ten-millionth page view.  It's true that some of the accounts we have are made by spambots, and we knock them off the list when we catch them in action.  But we don't "resort to creating members" as you claim.  I have more than enough things to do around here and in real life that keep me busy, I don't need to add anything more to that list.

And before people start jumping on bandwagons, this is not a knock to United Cardists.  It's a simple explanation of where there are at the moment.  The current owner, Mike Ratledge, is a member in good standing of both this forum and the 52 Plus Joker Club and I have nothing but good things to say about him and his forum.  There is room in the world for more than one card forum and variety is the spice of life.  His board's membership and post totals were ravaged by the previous ownership, something he had no control over.

The reputation ratings are created by the membership in response to comments that people make on the board.  It gives people a rough guide to how seriously a particular member's posts should be taken.  It's not perfect by any means, but it's better than having nothing at all for the new member to help navigate his or her way around all the opinions and posts here.  When one's rep begins to drop a few points, it can be a random thing, like someone being silly or waking up on the wrong side of the bed, but a steady, consistent or massive drop is a sign that you may wish to re-examine what you're saying.  In the long run, despite my kidding around, rep numbers don't actually mean anything, aside from needing a rep of at least 1 to post on the STISO board.  We do look into negative rep cases for people wanting to post who feel they were unfairly knocked.

I don't go against anything you have to say merely because you said it.  If you say something I agree with, by all means, I'll state as much - my ego in such matters is shatterproof and bullet-resistant.  I've knocked a LOT of the things that Russell/Sprouts has said in the past, but I was just as quick to point out when he said something that made a great deal of sense and that I agreed with.

To set the record straight, I almost never rate posts (or more accurately, posters) as good or bad.  I'll often take the time instead to make a post much like this one, going into great depth when discussing such matters about what issues I have about what was said - it means a lot more than just an anonymous "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".  Of all the posts I read (and I read ALL of them), I might rate one or two percent, tops.  When I see BS, I call it out as BS, plain and simple.

When I'm wrong, I'm quick to admit it, and rather than being perturbed about it, I welcome it and I'm grateful for someone pointing it out to me, because I'm more concerned about being genuinely knowledgeable rather than merely appearing to be and using a bully pulpit to make what I say into something dressed up to look like the truth.  I'm never too big or egotistical to acknowledge when I'm wrong.

Now, Victor, if you don't mind, I think we've cluttered this topic enough with this entire tangent.  Should you wish to continue this discussion, we can move it to the Conversation Parlor if you'd like - I'll transfer the relevant posts there for you if you want.  I apologize to Steampunk for letting this tangent run as long as it has.  It was my fault for making a wisecrack in the first place.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 01:32:52 AM »

steampunk

• Owner of steampunkgoggles.com and some other stuff

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
No worries, I think I'll stay out of that part of the conversation though  :)

Getting back on topic, here's our latest reveal, the Ace of Spades

5 days to go! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/consorte/steampunk-goggles-playing-cards-deck-uspcc-bicycle

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I think the Ace is pretty cool. Unique, but not completely abstract from the standard spade. I haven't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if I missed an explanation, but is there a significance to the time you chose to display on the card? Also, based off of the hour hand, shouldn't it be almost exactly 1:30? I might be nitpicking, but it just seems a bit off to me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:51:33 PM by Curt »

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi Curt, not nitpicking at all, that's a very good observation and I definitely depend on the community to notice stuff that I don't, so thanks!
The time currently isn't significant, however we've been talking to a few magicians about ideas for a reveal. One idea is to have a regular time on the AoS, but then I happen to have 1 last card that I can do something different with, and the suggestion was to use that for a second AoS with a different time on it, to match another card in the deck. There were a few other ideas for reveals as well. What do you think?

In the meantime, I'll definitely make a note to have him adjust the time so that it makes sense where the hour & minute hand are in relation to one another.

Separate from the hands, we got some more feedback:
1) many clocks do oddly use IIII instead of IV for 4pm, so post-funding we may run a poll to see what people prefer. From what I can tell however, it'll end up staying as IV
2) a few people suggested a skeletal format to the face of the clock, whereby you could see the gears underneath. We'll probably do a mock of that post-funding too and run another poll for backer preferences. Something like this: http://stanleyguess.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/stauer-watch-face-detail-a_.jpg

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Why no goggles incorporated into the AoS for the Steampunk Goggles deck?   ;)
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Curt, not nitpicking at all, that's a very good observation and I definitely depend on the community to notice stuff that I don't, so thanks!
The time currently isn't significant, however we've been talking to a few magicians about ideas for a reveal. One idea is to have a regular time on the AoS, but then I happen to have 1 last card that I can do something different with, and the suggestion was to use that for a second AoS with a different time on it, to match another card in the deck. There were a few other ideas for reveals as well. What do you think?

In the meantime, I'll definitely make a note to have him adjust the time so that it makes sense where the hour & minute hand are in relation to one another.

Separate from the hands, we got some more feedback:
1) many clocks do oddly use IIII instead of IV for 4pm, so post-funding we may run a poll to see what people prefer. From what I can tell however, it'll end up staying as IV
2) a few people suggested a skeletal format to the face of the clock, whereby you could see the gears underneath. We'll probably do a mock of that post-funding too and run another poll for backer preferences. Something like this: http://stanleyguess.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/stauer-watch-face-detail-a_.jpg

The watch you pointed out in the photo looks a lot more modern.  Rather than mucking about with the face, I'd put the gearwork into the "wings" of the spade to replace what you have there now, and use a little "lens glare" effect to show that it's covered under glass.  Perhaps your artist could even try a mother-of-pearl watch face - that and ivory were very popular materials at the time.

Why no goggles incorporated into the AoS for the Steampunk Goggles deck?   ;)

He's got a point.  Perhaps you could simply place one pair in front of the spade, as though it's resting on the same table or shelf.

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
We figured having goggles on all of the face cards (J, Q, K) would be good for the theme without getting too cheesy with the goggles aspect of it. So basically goggles are on 12 of the cards in the deck. We could possibly do stuff with the aces but I personally really like the aesthetic as-is. I could see maybe sticking a little figure into the AoC & AoS wearing goggles - like piloting the airship or standing on the steps of the clock tower. However the corseted heart -- there's just no way that I see to incorporate goggles without detracting from the design. So the short answer is that we could probably do it for some of the aces but the fact that we can't do it for all of them makes me think that we shouldn't do it for any, so that we can stay consistent.

Consistency has been one of the challenges with this deck (e.g. the Queen of Clubs is full-width where all other cards are framed). We'll be reworking the QoC post-funding to match the other cards in this deck, and even the style of some of the other cards such as the King of Hearts to provide a more cohesive look & feel to it.

After we've got this deck funded, if there's enough interest I'd consider a limited run of a non-branded (non-bicycle) deck with full-width designs, and the side-view of the train as the back, and maybe some other stuff to make it interesting and worthy of a project.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:18:05 PM by steampunk »

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like those ideas, Don, particularly the lens glare concept, thanks!

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:43 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in and thank you for your valuable feedback and support on this project, we've passed our funding goal and on our way down the home streeeetch. Anyway, thanks again!

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
These decks are now shipping out

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Am I the only one that never ever needs to see another Steampunk deck again?
Yes how many times does steampunk need to be done? Also they could done again if they are an improvement but really I am just seeing more of the same.
EDIT: I have just had a look at the Ace of spades, now I like it.
Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:08:54 PM by Rose »

Re: Steampunk Goggles Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I liked this steampunk deck. I regret not getting at least 2 of each. I only settled with one of each because I didn't think it would fund. And this project wasn't purely about the cards. They also had steampunk goggles for sale which were pretty cool.

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm a little late to this thread, but thanks for checking out the deck. Pretty much everyone seems to have received it by now except for a handful of orders that we reshipped and one that we're waiting out due to what I expect to be slow international shipping. Regarding the steampunk theme, I own steampunkgoggles.com so that was the original inspiration behind it. I do agree the theme is really saturated. We're diverging from steampunk projects on Kickstarter for a spell. Right now we're focusing on a couple of games projects, but I'm hoping to do another deck in October or November. We definitely learned from this last campaign and I have new ideas for the next one that I think people will enjoy. I've got plenty left. They're priced a bit higher than they were on KS but you can find them on my site in the "playing cards" category.

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm a little late to this thread, but thanks for checking out the deck. Pretty much everyone seems to have received it by now except for a handful of orders that we reshipped and one that we're waiting out due to what I expect to be slow international shipping. Regarding the steampunk theme, I own steampunkgoggles.com so that was the original inspiration behind it. I do agree the theme is really saturated. We're diverging from steampunk projects on Kickstarter for a spell. Right now we're focusing on a couple of games projects, but I'm hoping to do another deck in October or November. We definitely learned from this last campaign and I have new ideas for the next one that I think people will enjoy. I've got plenty left. They're priced a bit higher than they were on KS but you can find them on my site in the "playing cards" category.

Do stop by here first, before you get too deep into the design, and post a Design/Dev topic for it.  We'll throw all the opinions at you that you could ever want, perhaps even more!

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 12:57:21 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Sounds good, Don. We've designed a font and spec'd out the theme but haven't started the artwork or composition yet. Maybe after we get 1 or 2 cards done I'll throw them up and see what you guys come back with. thanks!