Author (Read 14082 times)

Steampunk Goggles Playing Cards (KS)
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
At the restaurant right now and yes I do check KS on my smartphone hehehe
Noticed a new card project. So here's the link. Will link pics when I get home

www.kickstarter.com/projects/consorte/steampunk-goggles-playing-cards-deck-uspcc-bicycle

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:35:26 PM by Don Boyer »

Re: Steampunk Goggles Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
A steampunk deck without zombies or Cthulhu?  :-[

Seriously, this theme had been overdone about 5 decks ago.
On the other hand, I'm liking those goggles that they're offering as a reward.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
The courts are okay, don't love the backs. But I LOVE the M.C. Escher-esque king of spades. It really reminds me of his "Drawing Hands" I think it's a really interesting idea.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Wow! wish I had a video like that.  Best one I've seen yet for playing cards. I see some problems though.  They don't have an add-ons for decks.  I guess they failed to realize people may want more than just one LE deck and one regular deck and if you get an uncut sheet you don't get any decks.  $150 for a LE uncut sheet.  That's a good profit markup.  As a master plumber I can see some of the goggles use slip nuts.  Slip nuts are the doohickies that connect waste pipes under your sinks. 

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »

steampunk

• Owner of steampunkgoggles.com and some other stuff

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi all, this is Dennis Consorte - with the Kickstarter campaign for this set of cards.
Russell, thanks for inviting me to check out the thread.

First, thanks for sharing, and the feedback. We're very open to constructive criticism on the design and will certainly tweak the deck as much as possible, to appeal to as many people as possible. How does that saying go, "you can keep some of the people happy all of the time..." Anyway we'll do our best.

The King of Spades is my favorite card in the deck as well. If you check out the back story on each suit you'll see the reasoning behind each of the Court Cards & get a feel for the direction we're going in with the remaining designs.

Re: add-ons, yes we're trying to figure out the best way to do this. We wanted to include goggles as rewards, and pairing them up with decks resulted in about 24 total rewards (after editing, if my math is right). Speaking with Kickstarter, they seem to steer people away from the add-on concept so we tried to do it as closely to what their suggestions were. Anyway we're open to ideas here.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I'm curious as to why the first 3 courts have borders and then the QoC has no borders. Doesn't that screw up the whole deck? Or is this a way of advertising both ideas and then seeing which your fan base prefers?
Personally I enjoy the border because then people cannot see what I have in my hand based on the color from the edge of the card. I also love the KoS. A really awesome concept and well drawn. Sort of reminds me of a mix of Alastor Moody from Harry Potter and Bioshock the video game  :)

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Am I the only one that never ever needs to see another Steampunk deck again?

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:51 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Great feedback on the borders, Speedyy400. I personally like the borders as well, and agree the cards will play better. Let me see what we can do about turning around a prototype of the QoC with a reduced image & border. What do you think of our concept for the Ace of Clubs? The suit is our "Aviator" suit, hence the airship...

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:11:54 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Nurul & jmrock - noted, that's part of why we thought we'd do a different spin on it with the "how cool would it be if you could actually dress up as your favorite playing card and wear the same goggles he/she is wearing in the deck?" factor.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:52 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
You might want to think about backerket.com.  It's what Kickstarter should be right now, but they only care about their 5%.  Backerket.com does charge 1% of your kickstarter and have a $299 startup fee, but if you join while the Kickstater is going on they charge $150. So you are looking at a fee of $240 + $150 = $390.  Check them out.  You can do a bunch of stuff for the $390 price and it makes it easy with add-ons which you definitely need.  I can see a lot of people wanting to add-on extra this and that in your campaign.  Be careful when adding rewards when a reward gets backed it's locked.   

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks, I'll definitely check out backerkit, it does look like a huge time saver. Great advice!

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
At first, I looked at the deck and was scratching my head, trying to figure out what the concept was, exactly.  It seemed odd to make a deck for steampunk goggles - it's like a deck for cane swords and a deck for blue jeans, etc.  But then it finally hit me - it's a deck that's advertising a product.  As such, they're actually going a good distance here to make a good job of it as opposed to the standard "slap a new back on a standard deck and call it a day" ad concept.

While the concept is a little more interesting than some of the steampunk decks that have drifted through KS, I think you've created a bigger challenge for yourself.  You can have a gorgeous deck and it won't get funded because your goal is rather high due to the fact that you're trying to produce two decks right off the bat and you're a completely unknown variable in the playing card design world.  Look for a KS project for a two-deck set called "SiShou - Four Beasts" - gorgeous deck, but missed the goal for being a little too ambitious off the bat.  I thought it was downright criminal that SiShou failed when so many utterly horrible decks made it to their goal (albeit usually because they set an insanely low goal and used an off-brand printer).

That deck - and your deck - would have had a better shot if you started it as a single-deck project and created the second deck as a stretch goal.  The design firm Uusi, for whom I do a good deal of consulting, waited until their fifth project, Pagan, before they introduced two deck colors at the launch, and that was because they have an exceptionally strong and loyal following.  Their previous two-deck projects started with a single color as a limited edition and made the second color as a stretch goal, unlimited edition deck.

Have you considered removing the frames around the court cards and the pips?  Beautiful art like this shouldn't live within such tiny boundaries!  But do be careful about printing your faces into the bleed, past the cutting edge.  If certain cards have print-to-the-bleed and other don't, the ones that do will be spotted when the deck is held together in a pile.  Leave yourself a decent margin of error for the faces, as well - USPC focuses more on centering the backs than registering the fronts and backs to perfect alignment, so a centered back will almost invariably have a slightly off-center face, and if it's off jus a little too far, you'll be slicing part of your face imagery off the card.  It makes sense when you think of it - apparently there's a bit of art to printing as well as science, and for a deck of cards, a well-centered back is far more important than a well-centered face.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi Don, thank you for your thoughtful insights. You raise a lot of good points. I'll try to address them as best as I can:

"While the concept is a little more interesting than some of the steampunk decks that have drifted through KS, I think you've created a bigger challenge for yourself.  You can have a gorgeous deck and it won't get funded because your goal is rather high due to the fact that you're trying to produce two decks right off the bat and you're a completely unknown variable in the playing card design world.  Look for a KS project for a two-deck set called "SiShou - Four Beasts" - gorgeous deck, but missed the goal for being a little too ambitious off the bat.  I thought it was downright criminal that SiShou failed when so many utterly horrible decks made it to their goal (albeit usually because they set an insanely low goal and used an off-brand printer)."

I spent many days trying to figure this part out and obviously there are some ideas that I hadn't thought of (e.g. unlimited deck as a stretch goal -- great idea). I reached out to maybe 10ish other people with decks, plus some stores that sell collectible playing cards) and got their advice - some aligned, some varied widely. For example, this project almost became a single deck, printed by Liberty Playing Cards. Feedback I got was that Liberty has great quality cards, and from the price quotes I got from them, their minimum is substantially lower than USPCC. I also found a couple of other companies - one in China that was substantially less expensive. I was going to set a stretch goal to print on Bicycle stock if we hit their minimums. However from looking at the decks that did get funded, very few were non-USPCC, so I decided to make that the goal.

Getting funded - one thing to keep in mind is that I do online marketing as my day job. Plus, this deck involves some very well-known people in the steampunk community. They're sharing it with their networks, and I'm doing traditional online marketing. I also have 3 other people on my marketing team helping out between client projects. We're doing Facebook advertising, a press release next week and some other stuff. Right now one of the people on the team is working on hitting up other playing card forums and crowdfunding websites.

You could be right and it would be a huge disappointment if this didn't get funded. But you're looking at a production that involves maybe 12 people at its core, plus our networks of friends, family & colleagues helping out. I'm very optimistic and ambitious about this project and I think we made the right decision with our offering. I know we don't have the following right now, but that's part of why I involved some incredibly influential people in the steampunk community (besides the fact that I absolutely love their work and think that they're all amazing people) - they do have a following, just not in the playing cards space.

"Have you considered removing the frames around the court cards and the pips?  Beautiful art like this shouldn't live within such tiny boundaries!  But do be careful about printing your faces into the bleed, past the cutting edge.  If certain cards have print-to-the-bleed and other don't, the ones that do will be spotted when the deck is held together in a pile.  Leave yourself a decent margin of error for the faces, as well - USPC focuses more on centering the backs than registering the fronts and backs to perfect alignment, so a centered back will almost invariably have a slightly off-center face, and if it's off jus a little too far, you'll be slicing part of your face imagery off the card.  It makes sense when you think of it - apparently there's a bit of art to printing as well as science, and for a deck of cards, a well-centered back is far more important than a well-centered face."

Great advice, again, thank you. Yes we're exploring all options. Right now we're 17 hours into the campaign and are already getting lots of great suggestions like yours. My plan is to explore and aggregate all of it for the next couple of days and then start making some decisions on direction based on what people want to see, and what matches our aesthetic and the themes built into this deck.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thought I posted this already but I must not have hit "save" -- here's the Queen of Clubs in the original full width, vs. in a bounding box

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
I love the artwork; I especially love the two decks from the start; and I TRIPLE loved the super-early-bird pricing ... $1 per deck!

I immediately pledged for both decks.

What I *don't* love is that the $27 price for the two decks is both too high, and not fair to early birds.  The price of an early bird SE deck is $10, and early bird LE is $13, but if I want 'em both I have to pay $27.

I don't think there's time to fix this before the early birds are all gone, but yeesh.  A $4 penalty for supporting the project with both decks?  Makes no sense.

Yah I'm supporting it anyway, but pretty bummed out that I had to pay extra to do it.  Not a good start.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thought I posted this already but I must not have hit "save" -- here's the Queen of Clubs in the original full width, vs. in a bounding box

Take the full width image - looks gorgeous huge and frameless.  But pull the art a little bit away from the edge of the card itself, with a fade-to-white leading to the edge of the card (fade-to-black on the black-backed deck).  It will look gorgeous - AND you won't have to worry about other design issues.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I don't mind that the Steampunk theme has been redone, although I do understand the frustration of seeing the same theme over and over again. What matters to me is the art,  and I think this deck has gorgeous art and is well designed.  :)

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the compliments and advice!

I like the full width / fade to white / black idea. I'll see if we can get some mock ups by Monday...
One of the other comments was that the full-width QoC didn't quite match the cards with the frames. Would you suggest taking out the frame for the KoS & QoD, etc and expanding the image? We had versions like this previously but we had to be mindful of the bleed requirements, and they ended up a little cramped with the indices too close to the main image. We can play with this concept though. It would be nice to see the details.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
What I *don't* love is that the $27 price for the two decks is both too high, and not fair to early birds.  The price of an early bird SE deck is $10, and early bird LE is $13, but if I want 'em both I have to pay $27.

I don't think there's time to fix this before the early birds are all gone, but yeesh.  A $4 penalty for supporting the project with both decks?  Makes no sense.

The $27 pledge is not under early bird special.

So i guess that problem here is that there isn't an "early bird special" for people who would like to buy more than 1 deck, which i also feel is a little disappointing, especially for collectors who usually gets at least 1 of each.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I love your Ace of Hearts man. That is back-of-leather-jacket-cool... (or front-of-baby-doll-T-cool). Looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck!
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the compliments and advice!

I like the full width / fade to white / black idea. I'll see if we can get some mock ups by Monday...
One of the other comments was that the full-width QoC didn't quite match the cards with the frames. Would you suggest taking out the frame for the KoS & QoD, etc and expanding the image? We had versions like this previously but we had to be mindful of the bleed requirements, and they ended up a little cramped with the indices too close to the main image. We can play with this concept though. It would be nice to see the details.

Try removing all the court frames and enlarging them like that Queen.  If the image interferes with an index, either flip the image or place a "halo effect" around the index to make it more readable.  If you're making a deck with detailed art, let that art shine through.  The halo can be fine enough to give the characters a slight "glow" or heavy enough to nearly or completely white-out the background under the index.  Whichever you choose, BE CONSISTENT.  Indices should always be quickly and easily read.

BTW: if you have more questions, I do consulting work for deck designers.  My biggest client to date has been Uusi - I've worked with them on all but their first project.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
+1 with Don on the consistency point.  Either use the frames or don't.

I see how going full-width has a Wow effect.  The problem is that you'd have to re-work a bunch of your artwork.  The King of Spades for example, would have to lose his reading lamp.  And not sure at all what you'd have to do to the woman's elbow for the Jack of Hearts.  Seems like a lot of work and honestly, the frames work great.  Especially when a characters bursts out beyond the borders.  Adds real pop to the look.  Love 'em both but ... either way, choose it and stick with it.

At least within a particular deck :-) 

(Wouldn't *that* be cool?  A standard framed deck and then the CLOSE-UP deck.  Now *that's* a limited edition :-)  (Nah ... too much work.  But still :-)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:44:02 PM by GBAllison »

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
thanks for all the feedback and compliments! Maybe an add-on for printed AoH apparel? I can look into what's involved.
I agree with keeping it consistent. I'd like to get a bit more input, make some more mocks for feedback and then pick a final direction by Monday/Tuesday at latest. I'll talk to Mike Lees, the illustrator and see how his bandwidth looks for these sorts of changes.

Love the small/full print for SE/LE idea a lot... it will add production costs so maybe as a stretch goal if I can swing it.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »

steampunk

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, it helped a lot. I wanted to run a few ideas by you for input if you have a minute:

1) We're leaning in the direction of 4 colors for the suits, rather than just two (thinking black, brown, green and either blue or red) based on some feedback I got elsewhere. I'm thinking this will open up the deck to more game possibilities. Any thoughts on that as far as usability for "standard" games like poker?

2) We're incorporating some magic components, such as a double-facer, and a cool thing for reveals on one of the cards. I'm also following the advice on borders on the backs. Any other small things that help with this aspect?

3) We've got a small goal of getting more likes on our project page where I'll cover the cost for metallic inks on the LE cards, and possibly the SE deck. I'm also planning some stretch goals for things like numbered seals on the LE decks. The LE will be embossed - I need to keep some things specific to that deck to make it more "special." Are there any other little things that will make it stand out more to collectors?

Thanks!

Thanks

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:54 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
steampunk - Your growing up quick.  I like that your using the feedback, but in your Kickstarter you are there to sell goggles and decks of cards.  Keep it simple, but if you want to make your deck more unique that is fine.  The world poker tour have the Hearts as red, Spades as black, Diamonds as blue and the Clubs as green.  I partially  don't like it.  I would recommend you keep to the standard colors, but if you want to be adventurous, I feel the suits should be in pairs. You have to think of games like solitaire.  If you want too, you can copy my colors texasplayingcards.com  It seems your making your LE card have metallic ink and your deck tuck box Embossed with numbered seals to make is more special. That's good; People like that. That is basically the best you can get unless you want to go with a foiled tuck box.  From what I've heard that is big bucks...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:07:22 PM by sprouts1115 »