You are Here:
Tendril. Kickstarter. Saturday. Be there.

Author (Read 48838 times)

Re: Tendril. Kickstarter. Saturday. Be there.
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't think this will beat the vortex. To be honest, the higher it goes on KS the less profitable it becomes. All the decks are discounted, as is the shipping so there's a happy medium where plenty get sold, funding is solid, but enough are left over that some of the fees and other expenses can be overcome.

I think our theoretical max is about $34k but it will probably fall short of that. Still, getting the cards made is priority number 1 so im thrilled so far. If we end up in the mid-high $20's that will be nearly perfect.

At any rate, we'll all get to hold some of these soon. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Will you be giving away some of the protodeck cards like Alex did?

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
wonder what the prototype decks look like... if he has them though.. i've never seen one before!
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Currently, I have just one prototype deck and am only going to be giving away the double backer card. There are some other goodies I might give away though.

K, the prototype deck is the one in the pictures and videos. It looks and feels exactly like a "real" deck. Mainly because it is, just printed in a one-off manner. :)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2012, 01:27:09 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
@paul oh, so it's just a normal deck but label generation one because it's printed first for testing? cool  :)
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2012, 02:00:40 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am still debating weather to up my pledge from 3 to 6 decks. Although there is alot of decks coming out soon and my source of income will be gone in the next few weeks.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So if the Kickstarter goes higher beyond a certain point, you'll lose money?  How does that occur?  I'm being totally serious - I would be interested to know a wee bit more about how USPC and Kickstarter work.

@Xmetal: dude, you stand a good chance of beating Alex's record for most funding for a playing card project!  And in a shorter time period, no less.  People must REALLY like your design - and the fact that you're already at the gate, so to speak; the project is lined up, design completed, ready to be made.  You may also have the shortest time from Kickstart completion to deck distribution, especially if you use a distribution center.

Thanks Don. I really am going to do all that I can to get Tendril in the USPCC queue asap. I want to get the cards out there to the backers as soon as I can, build a little momentum and go from there. I am quite surprised by the speed with which that all happened. I figured we'd get there, but honestly was expecting it to take at least twice as long. Guess my design really hit it with some people.

I wanted to share something a backer sent me today. He's been a magician for over 50 years and he said they were the most beautiful decks he's ever seen. He also said "I was fortunate to have known some of the greats like Vernon Cardini & Darwin Ortiz and I know they would love these decks."Stuff that like makes ya feel kinda nice, I have to admit.

It would be hard to find a nicer compliment for your work.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:12:00 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:51 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
I would assume money is lost because of the price he offers per deck. I remember alex saying he lost money on every one and two deck order (because of shipping and what not). Say originally he planned on selling 3,000 throught kickstarter, and an average of $7 a deck. Thats $21,000 job done. The other 2,000 can be sold for $10 (his rrp for this deck after kickstarter). Then all of a sudden loads and loads of people buy through kickstarter - and he ends up with 4,000 decks sold for $7. Thats $28,000, but from that extra $7,000 he's got to foot the free shipping in the usa. That's the issue with kickstarter... raising money is good, yet bad - as you offer decks much cheaper than normal to get to your goal, but after that you can actually be losing possible income because the decks are going cheaper (unnecessarily if you have your goal). Also what ever is raised, 10% goes in fees to kickstarter (5%) and amazon (5%).
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I would assume money is lost because of the price he offers per deck. I remember alex saying he lost money on every one and two deck order (because of shipping and what not). Say originally he planned on selling 3,000 throught kickstarter, and an average of $7 a deck. Thats $21,000 job done. The other 2,000 can be sold for $10 (his rrp for this deck after kickstarter). Then all of a sudden loads and loads of people buy through kickstarter - and he ends up with 4,000 decks sold for $7. Thats $28,000, but from that extra $7,000 he's got to foot the free shipping in the usa. That's the issue with kickstarter... raising money is good, yet bad - as you offer decks much cheaper than normal to get to your goal, but after that you can actually be losing possible income because the decks are going cheaper (unnecessarily if you have your goal). Also what ever is raised, 10% goes in fees to kickstarter (5%) and amazon (5%).

...and let's not forget the IRS cut.

The simplest solution to this would have been making the first X number of rewards limited, then step up the price and charge a little higher for the same, also as a limited reward, and so on until you're below MSRP but high enough that you're making a little money on it.  But you have to plan that from the beginning, and I couldn't imagine the math required.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
hazofhorsham has it essentially right. There is a point where you reach the goal and the profit margin is just right, and beyond that you can see a diminishing return because your margins start to drop as you increase shipping costs and "give away" more decks at a lower cost. It's all good in the end, as the project wouldn't have happened without Kickstarter, but when you calculate that all out, work in the fees, taxes and shipping plus all the production costs it's not like you are swimming in dough, even when you go way over the goal.

Setting up these projects is actually hugely complicated to do right. My wife and I spent hours working with the numbers in complicated spreadsheets trying to work out the exact mix of rewards, how many of each thing to offer, what "extra" costs there are for each, what the shipping estimates will be, how many actual packages need to be mailed, what the real cost per deck is as you sell fewer/more, how many decks will be left over for normal sale, what packages lose money, etc etc etc. I suppose you could run a KS project without all that, but it would be all to easy to get to the end of a successful project and then realize "Oh wait, I just got hosed". :)

Tendril will work out well in the end. We estimate that a bit more than half the total decks will be spoken for via KS, which will leave a fair amount to get to some resellers (mainly for the marketing exposure) and some for sale on my own website. That should fund deck #2. I will probably employ KS next time as well but at a much smaller goal and only as supplemental income, more or less. I've had a HUGE number of casual buyers come through Kickstarter and if we can reach a few more people that might not necessarily be card people, that is helpful.

Kickstarter is amazing because it allowed me to do this, but it surely adds a serious level of complexity if you aim to do it right.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow that's pretty complicated! I knew there was more to running a Kickstarter, but I think it's bigger than I thought. Sounds like it's a pretty complicated, stressful, but fun venture!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Already 120%! In a week and a half! Congrats!

« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Rocken my Tendril King of Clubs t-shirt ;D  just came in the mail. Good quality shirt looks awesome.

« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Rocken my Tendril King of Clubs t-shirt ;D  just came in the mail. Good quality shirt looks awesome.

Awesome! I have mine on today as well. Had to sport it in a little video I'll be putting up soon. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Congrats on 125%! :D

« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Still going strong :)

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
In case you didn't see it elsewhere, I put up a video on Youtube that gives you a new preview of the Tendril deck and also gives you the details on how to enter for a special prize pack giveaway. Check it out! http://youtu.be/jeJ9YrKcVOU
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sweet prizes there! I better pledge soon! The decks are going fast

« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
Already a proud backer! Good luck Paul! By the way, may I request a signed deck here or should I PM you at Kickstarter?

« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks awretch! Shoot me a note on KS so that I have your real username on there and we'll get you hooked up.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Funding has sorta slowed down, are we at your optimum yet?

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The project is doing really well. I think we'll end up right about where I figured it would be. The trajectory was just crazy fast at the start. We were making $2500-$5000 a day at the start, when it really only needed $700/day for the duration to be good. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
pledged for 14 cant wait =D

« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I just pledged for 3 decks! Thank you so much Paul for creating this beautiful deck! I can't wait to have them in my hands.

« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Just received an email from Paul via Kickstarter. New 1 deck and 2 decks option available for those who missed out the first time! Pledge for your Tendrils now!