You are Here:
Tendril. Kickstarter. Saturday. Be there.

Author (Read 48843 times)

Re: Tendril. Kickstarter. Saturday. Be there.
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
And now...presenting...the BATTLE OF THE REFERRERS!!!!

Yes folks, as part of my Kickstarter reports I can see which sites refer the most monies. While not terribly accurate, as people can certainly come in through other means, I thought it would be amusing to see where the big bucks come from. So, here are a few of the highlights!

1. Kickstarter Search
2. Facebook (yay, social media works)
3. Encarded.com (yay, branding works)
4. Kickstarter Design Category Page (I'm featured top left on there)
5. Kickstarter Popular Projects page
6. 52 Cartes
7. United Cardists (you Discourse people gonna let that stand!?)
13. Aethercards (fer shame!)

:) Get to work! http://kck.st/xPNhv7
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Well, a lot of people probably went from here to encarded.com then the kickstarter (I did).  Your sig on the forum links your site, so it's the easiest way to get to your KS from here.

How's the reference from here to your site?  I reckon that's where all the traffic's gone, it just took a detour.

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hi Paul, I wanted to congratulate you on 70%, and I wanted you to know that your deck is so amazing that for the first time I have bought more than one of the same deck, and spent more and 15$ on one w/shipping. As a matter of fact, I have spent nearly 5 times as much with shipping as I have ever before! Congratulations!

« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well, a lot of people probably went from here to encarded.com then the kickstarter (I did).  Your sig on the forum links your site, so it's the easiest way to get to your KS from here.

How's the reference from here to your site?  I reckon that's where all the traffic's gone, it just took a detour.

Oh yeah I know, that was just all in fun. :)

Unitedcardists, the Discourse and Facebook are the biggest referrers to my own website.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Some people were curious about the whole "get the printing plates" idea that cropped up. I did talk to USPCC and yes, for $50 each I can happily walk away with any of them that I want. I am almost certainly going to do that, at least 1 front and back. I imagine collectors might be pretty darn interested in something like that too.

I'll now have to find enough wall space to display those alongside all my other card stuff.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Some people were curious about the whole "get the printing plates" idea that cropped up. I did talk to USPCC and yes, for $50 each I can happily walk away with any of them that I want. I am almost certainly going to do that, at least 1 front and back. I imagine collectors might be pretty darn interested in something like that too.

I'll now have to find enough wall space to display those alongside all my other card stuff.
Awesome! It will definitely be worth it. Also, I think it would be an awesome contest prize!

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I don't understand what that means? What are the printing plates? I am really confused!

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I don't understand what that means? What are the printing plates? I am really confused!
Printing plates are the metal imprints of the deck design that are used to print the cards.

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ok thank you. And is there one per card or one per uncut sheet?

« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm pretty sure its 1 per card but not 100% sure

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm pretty sure its 1 per card but not 100% sure

I'm pretty sure its one per sheet/ per color. If what I know is right, the plates are just like the uncut sheets, but it's not just one per side. I believe each color (or at least primary colors and black) have their own metal plate, and they use complementary, contrasting, and shading to give the deck all of the colors. It would be way too tedious to make each card have the right colors of ink on every part of the plate at once, not to mention the re-inking process. This is just how I speculate it works, so I may not be 100% correct, but I do believe most of what I said to be true.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
In abbreviated form: the plates would be the size of an uncut sheet, and there would normally be 8 of them total. The cards are printed in CMYK, so you have back and front plates, 4 colors each to make up the entire color range of the printing. I guess you could have more plates if you did "spot colors" like metallic ink or the like. The thin metal plates are attached to rollers, which spin and are continually inked with the 4 separate colors, and the roll of paper is run through those rollers which imprints the color on it. I believe they do both sides of the card at the same time. Each roller does one of the CMYK colors which when mixed together gives the illusion of full color. They have to be lined up precisely, or you'd get incorrectly aligned overlap of the colors (which you sometimes see in a poorly printed newspaper).

That, afaik, is the basic process for a large scale 4 color print job. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
So if they are the size of an uncut sheet and in metal, then the shipping must cost so much!

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2012, 04:26:39 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's a pretty awesome thing to have!! I would love to get my hands on some of those from different decks on day! (we all can dream right?  :P) I have a few similar plates from newspapers hanging in my house, which are pretty cool.

I didn't even think about shipping!! That must be expensive! It's not like you can roll a plate up and put it in a tube...
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The 1 deck pledge is sold out! Congrats!

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Actually 5 of the packages are sold out right now. If we could get a couple more big league folks to take the reseller package we'd be pretty much done. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49:35 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Sigh the black eco card clip reward's out  :( :( :(
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That's a pretty awesome thing to have!! I would love to get my hands on some of those from different decks on day! (we all can dream right? ) I have a few similar plates from newspapers hanging in my house, which are pretty cool.

I didn't even think about shipping!! That must be expensive! It's not like you can roll a plate up and put it in a tube...

If a person can get a framed picture shipped, this should present little trouble at all.  In fact, a printing plate is a lot lighter - it would be mostly the packing material making up the weight, not the sheet itself.  Most of that will be bubbles, peanuts, crumpled paper, whatever.  In other words, more air than substance.

I'd wager they'll use a cardboard box as opposed to a wooden shipping crate - those cost a pretty penny to ship.  And I'd guess it comes via a private service and not USPS.  The Post Office isn't always known for its gentility...

Sigh the black eco card clip reward's out

Sorry to hear you couldn't find a domestic partner to place your order.  You didn't have a credit card or a debit card?  That's all you needed with Amazon Payments.  Alternately, you could have had someone buy you an Amazon e-Gift card, or even a physical gift card.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:23:52 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2012, 05:23:23 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Okay if the printing plates are anything like the ones they use on newspaper they aren't very light.

I know how they would ship the plate. I just was thinking the weight would be an issue.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?

Sigh the black eco card clip reward's out

Sorry to hear you couldn't find a domestic partner to place your order.  You didn't have a credit card or a debit card?  That's all you needed with Amazon Payments.  Alternately, you could have had someone buy you an Amazon e-Gift card, or even a physical gift card.

It's alright, thanks for your concern.  :)  Well, I recently found out that it does not necessarily need to be a domestic, it could be anyone just that they need to use my address when the kickstarter is complete and Pual requests for the address. Neither, Only have PayPal since I'm a student and my parents think that collecting these are a waste of money.. just like my pokemon cards when I was very young haha. well, mostly my dad anyway.. :'(  What're those? Didn't heard of them before, I'll do a quick look before starting on my valentine's day surprise for a special someone  ;D 
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
only a few more hundred dollars and it gets funded we did it.  :D

« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yes it is super close! If the general pace keeps up we will hit the goal today, which would be just 7 days! Crazy! With so much time left I hope that we get comfortably over the goal so I don't have to worry as much about people that flake out or have processing problems.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yes it is super close! If the general pace keeps up we will hit the goal today, which would be just 7 days! Crazy! With so much time left I hope that we get comfortably over the goal so I don't have to worry as much about people that flake out or have processing problems.
Does anything get upgraded if we go over the goal? Obviously the stock and finish don't need an upgrade.

« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Yes, I would love to see additional rewards for those with big pledges (i.e. discounts for your website, future decks, clips, additional prizes). Congrats!

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
do we get charged when we hit the goal or do we have to wait for the date line to end to get charged ??