You are Here:
Clipped Wings

Author (Read 24876 times)

Re: Clipped Wings
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Any new information?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Heard from a little birdie.  January or February.  Do your taxes early to get that refund check!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Fantastic!! Can't wait to see more Emmanuel  :D

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm new to this forum, so this is the first I've seen of these. Damn, these are cool. I can see the challenge you had with all B+W clubs and spades, and not going just Red+White for Diamonds and Hearts (I think you had to go with black too, good call). I think you struck a great middle ground with the accent red in the images - that cardinal piece just crushes me - too cool. Reminds me a lot of Charles Harper (http://charleyharperartstudio.com) - one my all time favorite artists. Can't wait!

Luke
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you Luke, and welcome to The Discourse! Charles Harper's work is amazing, I love his style.

« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
What about "the Avian deck?" I freakin LOVE the ace of spades btw. Awesome work, as always.

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
For anyone who lives in Massachusetts or is visiting Boston, I'm having an artist talk and tour of the Clipped Wings art show on November 17th.

The talk begins at 2 pm on Sunday, November 17th, followed by a tour of the exhibition in the Maxwell C. Clement library. Attendees are also welcome to join the post-gathering event for drinks and light appetizers.

Map & Directions to the Clement C. Maxwell Library:
http://goo.gl/maps/T2sTJ

Parking Information:
On page 2 of the map below, Maxwell Library is building 12, and the parking lot closest to the building is designated as H (West Campus Lot).
http://goo.gl/4Q27T2

Post-Gathering Event at 99 Restaurant:
http://goo.gl/HW6p2C

For any questions, please contact me at emjose@gmail.com. I would love to see forum members there!

- Emmanuel

Hey Emmanuel, How did your showcase turn out?  I am sure it went well! 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:36:38 PM by Jamm Pakd Cards »
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
DUDE, i am so happy i just discovered this thread.  Please let us know when you launch the kickstarter, I'm all in baby.  Any Ravens or owls making a guest appearance?
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
DUDE, i am so happy i just discovered this thread.  Please let us know when you launch the kickstarter, I'm all in baby.  Any Ravens or owls making a guest appearance?

Thanks HandSkillz! There's a Raven in the 5 of Clubs, and a Barn Owl in the 2 of Clubs.

To everyone:
I'm toying around with the idea of having early bird pledges for the Clipped Wings campaign, and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on signed uncut sheets as early bird pledges. Would this be a worthwhile pledge to offer?

Also, does anyone know if any other KS projects had uncut sheets as early bird pledges? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:54:32 PM by Emmanuel »

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I've never had an uncut sheet but I would love to have one. Your early bird uncuts will sell like crazy! If that's what your after then that would be great. To answer your second question, no I haven't seen any campaign with early bird uncut sheets. I've just seen a few affordable ones like the Blue Fontaines at $19 each.

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Decks are the best EB pledges :D
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Decks are the best EB pledges :D

If I do have EB pledges, signed decks will certainly be a part of them.

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Thanks HandSkillz! There's a Raven in the 5 of Clubs, and a Barn Owl in the 2 of Clubs.

To everyone:
I'm toying around with the idea of having early bird pledges for the Clipped Wings campaign, and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on signed uncut sheets as early bird pledges. Would this be a worthwhile pledge to offer?

Also, does anyone know if any other KS projects had uncut sheets as early bird pledges? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Early birds are usually done with two purposes in mind.

1) Let someone who might not otherwise afford a deck have a shot at getting one cheap, and
2) Boosting your initial site traffic, creating some buzz for your project.

Uncuts as early birds is a bit on the radical side.  A good project usually only has a small number of them available in the first place and they go fast all by themselves, no early bird needed.  It begs the question, "Why make them as an early bird in the first place?"  It's the decks that take a bit longer to get pledged for because the ratio of decks to uncuts is generally in the ballpark of 50:1 up to 100:1.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Early birds are usually done with two purposes in mind.

1) Let someone who might not otherwise afford a deck have a shot at getting one cheap, and
2) Boosting your initial site traffic, creating some buzz for your project.

Uncuts as early birds is a bit on the radical side.  A good project usually only has a small number of them available in the first place and they go fast all by themselves, no early bird needed.  It begs the question, "Why make them as an early bird in the first place?"  It's the decks that take a bit longer to get pledged for because the ratio of decks to uncuts is generally in the ballpark of 50:1 up to 100:1.

Hi Don,

I've been thinking about it since no one's done it before (as far as I know).

Also, I think the uncut sheet of a transformation deck would be higher on a desirability scale than other uncut sheets. To this day, I still get inquiries from people on how they can get a Curator uncut. Out of the 20 or so different uncut sheets that HOPC sells, only 3 have sold out, and the Curator uncut sheet was one of them.

« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hi Don,

I've been thinking about it since no one's done it before (as far as I know).

Also, I think the uncut sheet of a transformation deck would be higher on a desirability scale than other uncut sheets. To this day, I still get inquiries from people on how they can get a Curator uncut. Out of the 20 or so different uncut sheets that HOPC sells, only 3 have sold out, and the Curator uncut sheet was one of them.

Their popularity is all the more reason why you wouldn't need to run an early bird to get them sold out, fast.  It's not like the demand for these uncuts will be soft, now is it?  :))

Unless you were planning to offer a LOT of uncuts, I'd reserve them for regular sale.

Consider offering people a poster with the image of the uncut on it for the Curator deck.  It's not the same as an uncut, but it's the next best thing and would cost less both for you and the customer.  Win-win, right?

If you wanted to make a special early bird without giving away your best goodies, make a poster of the Clipped Wings uncut as an early bird tier with a deck - it would be a nice extra.  You could make the poster smaller than normal size so it's inexpensive and at the same time cool looking.

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I like the poster idea from Don, I would totally get one.  If the early Bird poster offer was sold out I would try to get an uncut sheet of this deck for sure. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Those are all great points mentioned, but I'm a little uncertain about offering prints/posters as EB pledges. The production value of a print/poster can be much higher than an uncut sheet, but I will give it consideration.

So far, I'm thinking of offering two  EB pledges: A) 1 signed deck and B) 1 signed deck + 1 signed uncut sheet.

My intentions are to offer more than the usual amount of uncut sheets than other KS decks.

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'll tell you right now, if you offer those as early bird tiers, your project's going to launch like a ballistic missile in the first day.

« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'll tell you right now, if you offer those as early bird tiers, your project's going to launch like a ballistic missile in the first day.

With rockets strapped to it.

Signed decks as an EB would be awesome. I personally have never seen that offered before, but KS and I only met a few months ago....sad face

« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

With rockets strapped to it.

Signed decks as an EB would be awesome. I personally have never seen that offered before, but KS and I only met a few months ago....sad face

Haha, I don't know how the campaign will do, but I have my fingers crossed that it meets funding. Come to think of it, I don't know if signed decks have been EB pledges before.

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Haha, I don't know how the campaign will do, but I have my fingers crossed that it meets funding. Come to think of it, I don't know if signed decks have been EB pledges before.

They haven't, and neither have uncut sheets.

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Recently, I cut out my logo, and I think I'm going to offer custom 3D paper artwork as a higher-end pledge. I'll take the initial of the backer, cut it out, and have it framed and shipped.

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow, you do some amazing work there my friend. Very cool!

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Woh...  love that, nice Emmanuel