You are Here:
Clipped Wings

Author (Read 24690 times)

Clipped Wings
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Some of you already know that I'm working on a second paper cutting deck this year, which has a bird theme. So far, I've made the first 4 cards.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Ncyclopedia/1-Spades01.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Ncyclopedia/1-Spades02.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Ncyclopedia/1-Spades03.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Ncyclopedia/1-Spades04.jpg

Anyways, I'm unsure of what I should name the deck. "Flock," "Aves," "Ornithology" "Dodo" are all ideas I've been thinking about, but I was wondering what you guys think. I'm definitely open to other suggestions too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:50:33 PM by Ncyclopedia »

Re: 2012 Hand-cut Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I've loved al of your designs and I love these too! Its crazy that those are all done by hand! You have a true talent there.

I have a few questions about the Curator deck that I am going to PM you

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Stoked about this one! You know how much I loved the first deck  :)  So I don't need to tell you how excited I am for another year of amazing art. I like "Ornithology" the best. I think it's very classy and does justice to the work
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I honestly kind of hate you for how talented you are with that. Really amazing stuff, inspiring even.

Don't name your deck Dodo. We all know how that bird turned out. I like to look up words that reference my deck first in the thesaurus, and then run them through google translate to see if a simple word in another language holds some unique aspect of pronunciation of evokes a different feel. Maybe try that.

Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I love that 4 of spades design, just makes me chuckle seeing something so anti-social and malicious so wonderfully rendered. 

I would say 'Flock' is far and away the best of those.  I've got needlessly fancy rhetoric so words never really seem 'classy' to me; I think 'Ornithology' sounds bland and sterile, to be honest.  These are too much fun to be called that.  'Aves'; I get where you're coming from but I would prefer the lengthened 'Aviary' to that.  Actually, the Aviary deck kinda has a ring to it, no?
Dodo's far to specific and those things are an ugly mess.  Good riddance!

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
You took a theme for a deck that I normally would never like, and turned it into something that I love! Amazing designs so far, I'm excited to see what else you come up with.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I honestly kind of hate you for how talented you are with that. Really amazing stuff, inspiring even.

Thank you very much, but I have to say that there's a bunch of talent that I don't have though. When I see the things being done with Vortex, Mana, Seasons, Ornate, Tendril, etc., my jaw drops. We're a talented bunch around here though!

I would say 'Flock' is far and away the best of those.  I've got needlessly fancy rhetoric so words never really seem 'classy' to me; I think 'Ornithology' sounds bland and sterile, to be honest.  These are too much fun to be called that.  'Aves'; I get where you're coming from but I would prefer the lengthened 'Aviary' to that.  Actually, the Aviary deck kinda has a ring to it, no?
Dodo's far to specific and those things are an ugly mess.  Good riddance!

I thought about Aviary too, but I think it's too similar to the Aviator brand, don't you think?

I probably won't go with Dodo as the name, but I'm planning on making the dodo as the jokers.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Well, it is a little close but I dunno if that'll really matter.  They're obviously very different products and the actual meanings of the words are so far apart.  I see your point, though.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
An aviary and an aviator are two totally different things.  It wouldn't survive the legal sniff test.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
How about something to do with wings? Like the Winged deck. Or Flight deck. Or soaring, something along those lines? Just an idea.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:44:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Dude - it's a cut-out deck, so...  CLIPPED WINGS!

I like it!

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Dude - it's a cut-out deck, so...  CLIPPED WINGS!

I like it!

I LOVE IT! The Clipped Wing Deck. Or just plainly Clipped Wings. I can see the name of the box being uniquely designed a swell, like maybe the 'W' being made out of wings?

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Clipped wings... That's genius. It offers so many possibilities for the box design too!
Otherwise, I fully agree with Kanped, but I also think Aviary and Aviator sound too similar, regardless of the difference in meaning. Nothing to do with legality issues, but if it were me, legal or not, I wouldn't want that to happen. ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Clipped Wings sounds... sad. I don't know what it is about it but I'm not a fan haha.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Then how about paper wings? It has a similarly poetic feel to it, but isn't as sad. ;)

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:34:22 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Then how about paper wings? It has a similarly poetic feel to it, but isn't as sad. ;)

Paper wings isn't bad actually. I feel like since the first deck had a lot of emphasis on it being a paper-cutting project that this one should focus more on the birds. So I don't really see the need for there being "paper, cutting, transfomation, etc..." in the name. That's just my opinion though.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The first project doesn't even mention clipping or any kind of similar term in the title - it's called the Curator deck, period.  Only on the card back design does it show scissors.

I still think Clipped Wings is an awesome name, taking a potentially depressing term and giving it a playful twist.  They're literally clipped out of paper - it's PERFECT.  Paper Wings just doesn't have the same oomph behind it, doesn't evoke the same degree of feelings.

I LOVE IT! The Clipped Wing Deck. Or just plainly Clipped Wings. I can see the name of the box being uniquely designed a swell, like maybe the 'W' being made out of wings?

That's a great idea - it could be as iconic as the Bicycle logo design (while not quite as famous)!  In fact, imagine two birds, side by side, wings extended in a "V" shape - voila, a "W", and one that's not simply formed out of disembodied wings but out of birds, which is the real focus of the deck.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The first project doesn't even mention clipping or any kind of similar term in the title - it's called the Curator deck, period.  Only on the card back design does it show scissors.

I still think Clipped Wings is an awesome name, taking a potentially depressing term and giving it a playful twist.  They're literally clipped out of paper - it's PERFECT.  Paper Wings just doesn't have the same oomph behind it, doesn't evoke the same degree of feelings.

That's a great idea - it could be as iconic as the Bicycle logo design (while not quite as famous)!  In fact, imagine two birds, side by side, wings extended in a "V" shape - voila, a "W", and one that's not simply formed out of disembodied wings but out of birds, which is the real focus of the deck.

I was careful with my wording in hopes to avoid there being any confusion... I didn't say emphasis in the name, I know what the first deck was called (and the meaning behind it). I was saying emphasis in the talk and the hype. We know how the project is done and now I think we should look a the birds more. It's just an opinion.

I don't like the name "Clipped Wings" and that's just me. Maybe everybody else will like it and that's cool. I'm really just throwing my two cents out there because hey that's what the forum is for.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I was careful with my wording in hopes to avoid there being any confusion... I didn't say emphasis in the name, I know what the first deck was called (and the meaning behind it). I was saying emphasis in the talk and the hype. We know how the project is done and now I think we should look a the birds more. It's just an opinion.

I don't like the name "Clipped Wings" and that's just me. Maybe everybody else will like it and that's cool. I'm really just throwing my two cents out there because hey that's what the forum is for.

Hey, that's cool.  Not every word that pours forth from my keyboard is made of gold, that's for certain!  :))  I could be in the majority, minority, it doesn't really matter - it's not my deck to name.  In the end, the artist chooses.

But no matter how you name/slice it, this really does look like another wicked-cool deck!  I can't wait for the first one to come off the presses and packaging machines!

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:52 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I like Clipped Wings a lot.  I think Paper Wings could work, too.  Really, I think when people make new products, they worry far too much about the name.  Get something you don't think you'll regret and just run with it, it doesn't matter that much; everybody gets used to it.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:08 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Good@Sabacc, Clipped wings does have a nice ring to it, and the "W" idea isn't a bad one at all! I'll consider doing both, so we'll see.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Good@Sabacc, Clipped wings does have a nice ring to it, and the "W" idea isn't a bad one at all! I'll consider doing both, so we'll see.

I was thinking about the AoS from your first deck and how it could be put in this deck just as easily as your current one. Just thought that was interesting, I love both!
Can't wait to see what you come up with, your creativity and talent never ceases to amaze me.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

I was thinking about the AoS from your first deck and how it could be put in this deck just as easily as your current one. Just thought that was interesting, I love both!
Can't wait to see what you come up with, your creativity and talent never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks Derek! Yeah, a friend was telling me that I could use the phoenix again for this deck, but the concept has already been burned up (no pun intended). Last year I had a ton of ideas related to birds, which is why decided to make a second deck.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I personally like to see it as the phoenix reborn. ;)

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Feel free to use any idea I spout out here, please!  I'd be honored.