Binary/Circuit deck - In development

Author (Read 4974 times)

Binary/Circuit deck - In development
« on: April 07, 2016, 03:01:51 AM »

Fud

• Elite Member
  • Life's too short for boring playing cards
Hi guys,

While I wait for Pipmen production to finish, and Prism Day/Dusk prototypes to arrive, I have started designing another set of decks which I am calling 'binary' and 'circuit' (for obvious reasons). At the moment they are intended to be a 2-deck set with similar styles, though one will be a binary theme and the other circuit. I have mocked up a few designs, including a back, and would like your suggestions. I think it has a way to go to get the detail to pop, but would like to see if you think I am on the right track...

The obvious market for these would be computer enthusiasts and the like, but I am hoping the simple, clear artwork will also be interesting enough for the playing card community at large. I am not in a rush with this as I am looking to get it right the first time. Any suggestions would be great :)

Ben

(The grey borders are just to show the cut lines on the cards...)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:03:16 AM by Fud »

Re: Binary/Circuit deck - In development
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:02:38 AM »

Fud

• Elite Member
The circuit deck back at the moment...

I am thinking of including a few long circuits underneath the corner indices to give a pseudo-border similar to the binary numbers on that deck - I mocked it up on the Ace of Spades below.

Looking at it now it seems like the background pattern for the ace is a bit light, and the back design is all scratchy - I must have saved it as a very small file then expanded it :S It will be smooth for final.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:16:08 AM by Fud »

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Really loving the circuitry designs so far, spot on! The binary designs aren't quite grabbing me though, too... Matrix-y? Maybe... I'm not sure...
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Really loving the circuitry designs so far, spot on! The binary designs aren't quite grabbing me though, too... Matrix-y? Maybe... I'm not sure...

I agree with Justin...I like the circuitry design, but not feeling the binary design...very interested to see how the courts look :)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
I have dropped the binary deck from development for the time being as it is proving that my initial ideas don't look as good on paper as they did in my mind :) But that's the beauty of design and development, isn't it? I think I'll focus on the circuit deck, and come back to the binary one if a brainwave (or suggestion) strikes me as to how to get them better.

Either way, I have experimented with the pips on the face cards; making them self-contained and more intricate. What do you think about these? Should I have the faint circuit background behind the pips? And in a halo around the pips, or a more central and uniform pattern? I have also removed the border around the pips as I think the circuit pattern is clear enough - thoughts?

I also think that the corner numbers should be in a more block-ish font more suitable to a computer theme. I'll get there...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:38:02 PM by Fud »

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 02:28:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have dropped the binary deck from development for the time being as it is proving that my initial ideas don't look as good on paper as they did in my mind :) But that's the beauty of design and development, isn't it? I think I'll focus on the circuit deck, and come back to the binary one if a brainwave (or suggestion) strikes me as to how to get them better.

Either way, I have experimented with the pips on the face cards; making them self-contained and more intricate. What do you think about these? Should I have the faint circuit background behind the pips? And in a halo around the pips, or a more central and uniform pattern? I have also removed the border around the pips as I think the circuit pattern is clear enough - thoughts?

I also think that the corner numbers should be in a more block-ish font more suitable to a computer theme. I'll get there...

I don't think a block-like font would be an improvement.  The only things still using that kind of font are digital watches - and even there, many have higher-resolution screens on them.  It's more of a throwback to the 1970s and 1980s than a nod to what's modern.  There is, however, a typeface that's used for writing identification markings on a circuit board - THAT would be a good font to use.

Have you considered flipping this around a bit?  By that, I'm thinking that you make the circuit board the size of the entire card.  Leave "cutouts" for the indices and put in voids in the shapes of pips, configured where the pips would go, with the boards being your pip colors.  For example, use a dark green for black pips, a pale green for light/red pips, run circuit lines everyone EXCEPT where the pips are supposed to go, etc.  Visually, I think it would be more attention getting and would have more of the look of a circuit board to it - I should know, my dad used to design simple computers back in the '70s!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:37 AM »

Fud

• Elite Member

I don't think a block-like font would be an improvement.  The only things still using that kind of font are digital watches - and even there, many have higher-resolution screens on them.  It's more of a throwback to the 1970s and 1980s than a nod to what's modern.  There is, however, a typeface that's used for writing identification markings on a circuit board - THAT would be a good font to use.

Have you considered flipping this around a bit?  By that, I'm thinking that you make the circuit board the size of the entire card.  Leave "cutouts" for the indices and put in voids in the shapes of pips, configured where the pips would go, with the boards being your pip colors.  For example, use a dark green for black pips, a pale green for light/red pips, run circuit lines everyone EXCEPT where the pips are supposed to go, etc.  Visually, I think it would be more attention getting and would have more of the look of a circuit board to it - I should know, my dad used to design simple computers back in the '70s!

Good suggestions as always Don. I've tracked down the printed circuit board font (not easy!) and had a go at an 'inverted' green circuitboard design more reminiscent of a classical pcb. What do you think?

I'm not sure if the colors are too indistinct, and the corner indices should be white similar to the printed style. It's a lot of work working the circuits around the individual pips, but if it works it works :) The colors of the suits will be harder - I'm thinking making the pip shape either black or red, that way the circuitboard remains a constant color.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Could you make the numbers and pips gold and silver and have them resemble the circuits sticking out of the board...maybe even give them a 3-D look?

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
As I mentioned elsewhere, I do love this idea of using a PCB, but your original style had legs as well.  I suggest doing a v1 and v2 and use both designs.

Just a reminder PCBs do not have to be green, although that is tradition (due to material natural color, military spec, easier for human eyes for soldering, etc).  A black background with gold traces/circuits or white with silver would still be realistic, but also more modern and make the cards easier to read. Making the pips on number cards be actual PCB components (processors, etc) that are on the actual board and interconnected and then the indicies can simply be what is printed on the board for identification.  If you want to stick with green I would suggest going closer to a traditional PCB board color (more saturated/contrast) and then also use gold/silver for the circuits which will make it easier to read and also resemble a traditional board more.

Then again, it doesn't have to be totally realistic, it can be heavily circuit inspired and have the strong feel of a PCB, but use other colors and even white traces to make it look like light/electricity moving through them.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
I do think that it's looking like a 2-design series - one white and similar to the original design, one representing a green pcb with a more realistic colorscale. If I was going to make the colorful one, I would err towards keeping it a green background as that is instantly recogniseable. I see the market for this concept as a computer-enthusiast who would get it for the similarity to a real circuitboard - something novel but also functional and a talking point. If I go too far into the conceptual I'll lost that and it will merge into an interesting line design. My issue is that with certain shades of green, gold and silver are less noticeable than with black. However, I don't think that will be a problem with the correct shade of color or design.

I've mocked up a quick gold and silver-on-black with a bit of a shadow to give a raised impression. I think the silver looks good, but the gold might be a bit hard to identify quickly. Having said that, I know I can still play with the colors a bit to make it more shiny/interesting/obvious.

I do need to change the corner indice pip to be made up of circuits - a more simple configuration than before due to size. It's on the to-do list, I am wanting to nail down the design concept before marching ahead.

Thoughts?

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 03:12:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I do think that it's looking like a 2-design series - one white and similar to the original design, one representing a green pcb with a more realistic colorscale. If I was going to make the colorful one, I would err towards keeping it a green background as that is instantly recogniseable. I see the market for this concept as a computer-enthusiast who would get it for the similarity to a real circuitboard - something novel but also functional and a talking point. If I go too far into the conceptual I'll lost that and it will merge into an interesting line design. My issue is that with certain shades of green, gold and silver are less noticeable than with black. However, I don't think that will be a problem with the correct shade of color or design.

I've mocked up a quick gold and silver-on-black with a bit of a shadow to give a raised impression. I think the silver looks good, but the gold might be a bit hard to identify quickly. Having said that, I know I can still play with the colors a bit to make it more shiny/interesting/obvious.

I do need to change the corner indice pip to be made up of circuits - a more simple configuration than before due to size. It's on the to-do list, I am wanting to nail down the design concept before marching ahead.

Thoughts?

The silver looks cool - these days, if you raise enough on the project, you could even have the circuit lines printed with stamped foil on the faces of the cards!  THAT would look AWESOME!

I acknowledge what ecNate mentions about alternate color schemes and design schemes, but if you go traditionalist, it will be more recognizable to even laypeople as well as the electronic hobbyist/hardware hacker communities.  It's like computer keyboard designs - we know there are a few alternative designs out there, but we've been using QWERTY for well over a century-plus and it's what most people are familiar with and will recognize.  For the same reasons magicians use standard decks, you should go for the most common image of circuit boards people are likely to conjure in their heads - and that would be silver-on-green.

Want the pips to stand out more?  Make them into computer chips!  Remember that circuit boards are a lot more than silver lines and holes for component wires.  There's also transistors, resistors, switches, even LED lights that you can add to the board.  Imagine the black pips as black pip-shaped ICs (or square/rectangular ICs with big pip designs stamped on them like a trademark in white) and red pips as a ring of LED lights in bright red.  And that's just one possible design idea - there's countless more.

Want a flashier-looking border?  Turn one or more of the edges into a strip of connector pins, like for daughterboards that get plugged into motherboards!  Talk about eye-catching - especially if done with SILVER FOIL...  Not only can you make the edges matching from card to card, you can make them so that they line up when cards are laid out edge-to-edge on a table, making it look like some massive, interconnected circuit board!  You'd want a printer capable of high-precision die cutting for the cards, but the end result will look really, really nice.

I practically envy you here - there's so many cool options you have to choose from!

I would shy away from using black on the lines as a shadow effect.  Most circuit board lines are very thin, literally painted on, and the paint's not thick enough to cast a shadow.  I'd also leave the index pip alone - leave it as the more traditional playing card pip design, even if you decide that you want to play with the colors a bit.  It's for the functionality - the cards need to be instantly recognized when read in a player's hand, so you want easy-to-read indices.  It can appear as an identification mark that's been painted onto the board's surface - perfect, since you're already using the font used for that purpose.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:17:13 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:06:44 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
Great ideas Don. I am erring with keeping the 'realistic' design as close to a standard circuit board as possible - green backing, silver circuits with white marking for indicators.

I have some ideas for the pips and borders; give me some time to put some test ones together to see if they look any good, and I'll come back with some options :)

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
I've had a bit of a muck around with a 'realistic' design. I've come to the conclusion that it looks really bad; there may be a way to make the idea I have in my mind better but I think it is a bit of a lost cause... I've put in a pic of 2 of the test ones I tries - making the spades an IC, the diamonds some resistors, the clubs capacitors and the hearts (LED's??). Either way I personally think it fell quite short.

I have an idea to continue using the realistic green and silver concept, but this time with a blank printed circuit board concept - where the circuits are there, and just the outlines of the various components are printed on. It should be clearer, simpler, and hopefully much nicer.

I've spent a bit more time on the first concept  - the black-on-white ciruitboard, and have some more pics for your comments. I have made self-contained pips, but am unsure of how large or how dark to make the background. I have tested it with a small and intricate circuit pattern in the background, and with a much larger one - what do you think? I've also put up my first draft card back; the circuits bounding the back will be a similar concept for how I will bound the face cards... The Ace of Spades is not complete - it was a roughup to see how the size of the background looked.

Thanks for your comments!

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've had a bit of a muck around with a 'realistic' design. I've come to the conclusion that it looks really bad; there may be a way to make the idea I have in my mind better but I think it is a bit of a lost cause... I've put in a pic of 2 of the test ones I tries - making the spades an IC, the diamonds some resistors, the clubs capacitors and the hearts (LED's??). Either way I personally think it fell quite short.

I have an idea to continue using the realistic green and silver concept, but this time with a blank printed circuit board concept - where the circuits are there, and just the outlines of the various components are printed on. It should be clearer, simpler, and hopefully much nicer.

I've spent a bit more time on the first concept  - the black-on-white ciruitboard, and have some more pics for your comments. I have made self-contained pips, but am unsure of how large or how dark to make the background. I have tested it with a small and intricate circuit pattern in the background, and with a much larger one - what do you think? I've also put up my first draft card back; the circuits bounding the back will be a similar concept for how I will bound the face cards... The Ace of Spades is not complete - it was a roughup to see how the size of the background looked.

Thanks for your comments!

Red resistors as diamonds actually look nice!  You could use those to make hearts, clubs AND spades if you wanted.  But don't forget there's more to electronics than just resistors and ICs.  Dude, you have a LOT of options.  What might also help is that your scale is mismatched - the circuit paths are too small for the gear you're attaching, at least in the case of the resistors.  Make the circuit paths a little larger - look at an actual circuit board as a scale guide.

Try making the spades as RECTANGULAR integrated circuit chips with a white spade stamped on the top like an ID or serial number.

Another design possibility would be to make them as EPROM chips - erasable, programmable, read-only memory chips have a small window in the top that you can shape as you please.  The chips work similar to old, blank CD-RWs in that you can write to them and append what's been written, but when you flash the chip with a UV light through that window, it erases the chip and allows you to reprogram it from scratch.  It's used when testing new computer designs before committing to the creation of a series of pre-programmed ROM chips.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:58:31 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:37 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
Another attempt at the 4 pips. I have increased the size of the backing circuits which rationalized the hardware components - made them look more logical. I like the way the hearts, diamonds and clubs look (and I will put a circuit border for the hearts as well), but the spades seem a bit chunky. Using a chip the way I have necessitates the whole package to be large maintain the relative size of the pip - do you think that's too large though?

On there I have resistors (Diamonds), Capacitors (Clubs), LED lights (Hearts) and EPROM chips (Spades, thanks Don)

I'm liking this style, so unless you have some other great ideas (of which many have already been given), then I'll start to make up the deck :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:02:34 PM by Fud »

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Another attempt at the 4 pips. I have increased the size of the backing circuits which rationalized the hardware components - made them look more logical. I like the way the hearts, diamonds and clubs look (and I will put a circuit border for the hearts as well), but the spades seem a bit chunky. Using a chip the way I have necessitates the whole package to be large maintain the relative size of the pip - do you think that's too large though?

On there I have resistors (Diamonds), Capacitors (Clubs), LED lights (Hearts) and EPROM chips (Spades, thanks Don)

I'm liking this style, so unless you have some other great ideas (of which many have already been given), then I'll start to make up the deck :)

The diamonds look a little small and the spades a little big.  Try this:

For diamonds, use red resistors on all four sides, making a true diamond shape.

For spades, use a smaller, all-black chip with the spade shape printed on the surface in pale white/light gray, like the identifying marks found on most standard, off-the-rack ICs.  See the image for examples.  The chip and the spade shape can be more to scale with the other pips.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
Like this?

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That's close enough to what I had in mind - it looks pretty good, too.

Make the capacitors black as well, perhaps with a little silver in them or white - in order to color-match the spades.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:54:00 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
Got it :)

I have a pretty good idea on direction now. I'll put my current ideas together, and let you know how it goes!

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Got it :)

I have a pretty good idea on direction now. I'll put my current ideas together, and let you know how it goes!

Remember to make the pins match on the ICs with the circuit paths.  Your most recent spades have many, many tiny pins, but they're sitting on a much-smaller number of comparably larger circuit paths.  You want the design to have a certain visual logic to it - make it look like it's a design that could plausibly be in a real circuit board.  It will lend the design a feeling of authenticity that the electronic hobbyist crowd will appreciate.