You are Here:
Help Identifying Years or where these decks came from (Bicycle & Bee)

Author (Read 2617 times)

cere23

• True Member
Hi experts,  I am a newb collector,
I have a few decks  I need help identifying where they originally came from (ie specialty sets) or stand alone Store versions, and around what year, or if they ae even authentic real bikes.

Basically The Tucks on the side that has Cincinnati, Ohio 45212, There is a seam to where the box is glued, "as show in the pic"
All the rest of my collection does not have this seam on that side, they just have seam on opposite side Not both sides.

I have a
* Bee decks that has this seam
* Bicycle rider backs that has this seam
& * Bicycle rider back with   "Bicycle Poker 808" on the top, not just "Poker" that has this seam
  (and the ink used for the spade in the front and the back design on the back of tuck seams less detailed)

Any Help will be great.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:43:08 PM by Cerefen »

Re: Help Identifying Years or where these decks came from (Bicycle & Bee)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi experts,  I am a newb collector,
I have a few decks  I need help identifying where they originally came from (ie specialty sets) or stand alone Store versions, and around what year, or if they ae even authentic real bikes.

Basically The Tucks on the side that has Cincinnati, Ohio 45212, There is a seam to where the box is glued, "as show in the pic"
All the rest of my collection does not have this seam on that side, they just have seam on opposite side Not both sides.

I have a
* Bee decks that has this seam
* Bicycle rider backs that has this seam
& * Bicycle rider back with   "Bicycle Poker 808" on the top, not just "Poker" that has this seam
  (and the ink used for the spade in the front and the back design on the back of tuck seams less detailed)

Any Help will be great.

- Classic-style Bicycle box - popular for decades!
- Says Cincinnati on the box with ZIP code - ZIP codes didn't exist until 1962.  Also means the box was printed before the move to the plant in Erlanger in 2009.
- Sticker seal - not older then the mid 1980s.
- BLACK sticker seal - prior to the move in August of 2009, Bicycles usually had red or blue seals on the boxes.  When the company moved, they switched to black seals.  They were printing cards in Erlanger, but still had leftover boxes printed in Cincinnati.  It's a very solid chance that your cards were printed sometime around 2009, perhaps 2010 at the latest, and are likely Erlanger-made.  The Classic style box is still in print, but on a much smaller scale and with the company's new address on it.  The more modern-looking "Standard" box became the mass-produced version as of the move.

Just to be sure - that is a BLACK seal, right?  Your picture is small and low on details!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:49:39 AM »

cere23

• True Member
Okay ,  In this picture  they are both  Blue Seal
but if you notice the tuck box, in the 2nd one, the box is glued together under Cincinnati Label,
unlike the first one.

I have a few bee decks like this also, with a box glues together underneath Cincinnati Label.
all newer decks ONLY have this on the other side, but these have it on both sides.

I am guessing somewhere between 1985 and 1994   but I can't be too sure.
wondering when USPCC went to the tuck box design where they only have a glue seamed on one side.

Look forward to hearing about what you think.

- Classic-style Bicycle box - popular for decades!
- Says Cincinnati on the box with ZIP code - ZIP codes didn't exist until 1962.  Also means the box was printed before the move to the plant in Erlanger in 2009.
- Sticker seal - not older then the mid 1980s.
- BLACK sticker seal - prior to the move in August of 2009, Bicycles usually had red or blue seals on the boxes.  When the company moved, they switched to black seals.  They were printing cards in Erlanger, but still had leftover boxes printed in Cincinnati.  It's a very solid chance that your cards were printed sometime around 2009, perhaps 2010 at the latest, and are likely Erlanger-made.  The Classic style box is still in print, but on a much smaller scale and with the company's new address on it.  The more modern-looking "Standard" box became the mass-produced version as of the move.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

ally_tac

• Newcomer
Long flap tuck case has seam on both sides. You deck is this long flap type.
Short flap tuck case has seam on "air cushion finish" side.
Bicycle brand started to use short flap tack case from 1990-1991.
I believe they also used long flap tuck case in the same time until 2003.
According to the seal, I guess the deck you have is from 2000-2003.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:00:49 PM by ally_tac »

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Cerefen, I beg of you - my eyes are not what they used to be, and I can't glean any usable details from images that are SO TINY!!  Take LARGER PHOTOS!  You're allowed to attach images up to a megabyte in size - that's a HUGE image: 1,280 pixels wide by 800 pixels high at a ratio of 1.6:1 (standard computer widescreen)!  You're image was so small, I thought blue was black!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

cere23

• True Member
My apologies, i will post lager pics . Thank you for all the info