Canada, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia

Author (Read 2009 times)

Canada, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:29:07 AM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Hi everyone!

I will be traveling to Canada, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia this year, and I wanted to know, does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for interesting card decks while overseas?

Thanks!

Re: Canada, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Italians have interesting cards. Most regions have their own special deck that they play with, a legacy of their late unification.

The other countries you mentioned import their cards from elsewhere. You can probably find souvenir decks in touristy locations. If you want to see what cards the locals really play with, go to toy shops, department stores, and the malls. They're usually cheaper than what you can find in the tourist districts.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
That's cool, I'll be in three different regions in Italy. I'll make a note of going to a the shops you recommended for the other countries.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

vasta41

That's cool, I'll be in three different regions in Italy. I'll make a note of going to a the shops you recommended for the other countries.

Scopa is a popular game in Italy- I play it with my grandfather. They use this deck: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KPRDRC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FH6GZQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1T2B8JA6AP5GC789826R

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:43:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Scopa is a popular game in Italy- I play it with my grandfather. They use this deck: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KPRDRC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FH6GZQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1T2B8JA6AP5GC789826R

Modiano is a popular Italian card manufacturer - but not hard to obtain in the US.

USPC has a Spanish subsidiary that's independently operated - Heraclio Fournier, S.A.  Not many Fournier decks make it to the US, but they're sold throughout Europe, as far as I know.  The Bicycle Favole deck is based on a Fournier Favole Tarot deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I have to say, since I'm pretty new to card collecting, there is a lot to learn. I am looking forward to shopping for cards in Italy. I hope I'm able to get a hold of a few decks not easy to find here in the US.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »

billdragon

• Newcomer
Hey for canada, if you are comming to TORONTO~

you should go to BLUE BANANA at kenzentine market  behind Chinatown, its a famous store that sell strange things. a lot of people know it

hope info helps :D

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:42:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

you should go to BLUE BANANA at kenzentine market  behind Chinatown, its a famous store that sell strange things. a lot of people know it

Toronto is also home to a few well-known magic shops that will carry collectible decks to some extent or another.  Ask Lee Asher about it - he's a American magician based in Toronto and one of the forum's admins.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Thanks for the heads up about the Blue Banana (Reminds me of the film Pretty Woman). I hope can find some interesting items there,

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Toronto is also home to a few well-known magic shops that will carry collectible decks to some extent or another.  Ask Lee Asher about it - he's a American magician based in Toronto and one of the forum's admins.

Ok, I'll send him a message. Thanks!