You are Here:
Library Lover's Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 1704 times)

Library Lover's Playing Cards (KS)
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:48:33 AM »

wordnerdgames

• Newcomer
Hi Everyone - I'm a noob here but I wanted to introuduce you to my Kickstarter deck that I'll be launching on 13th October. It's a simple project with a low goal (£500ish) and it reproduces some long-lost library promotional posters from the 20s, 30s, 40s, & 50s. Check out the page at www.libraryloverscards.com and I'd love to hear your comments on the concept. I'll be releasing more images of the cards in the run-up to launch on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Word-Nerd-Games-1182032188491220/timeline/) and the newsletter (subscribe at www.libraryloverscards.com ). I'm hoping to appeal to booklovers and library nerds (like me) as well as card collectors and vintage design fans.

Cheers - looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dan :¬)

Re: Library Lover's Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:18:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi Everyone - I'm a noob here but I wanted to introuduce you to my Kickstarter deck that I'll be launching on 13th October. It's a simple project with a low goal (£500ish) and it reproduces some long-lost library promotional posters from the 20s, 30s, 40s, & 50s. Check out the page at www.libraryloverscards.com and I'd love to hear your comments on the concept. I'll be releasing more images of the cards in the run-up to launch on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Word-Nerd-Games-1182032188491220/timeline/) and the newsletter (subscribe at www.libraryloverscards.com ). I'm hoping to appeal to booklovers and library nerds (like me) as well as card collectors and vintage design fans.

Cheers - looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dan :¬)

I took a quick look at what you posted.  Honestly, and I'm not out to be cruel, it's not very exciting.

The nature of the deck may be the problem.  You're taking artwork from the distant past, art that's old enough that most people alive today has never seen it - but it's not Picasso, Renoir or Van Gogh - it's WPA promo posters and advertisements.  It's not to say the art is without value, but it doesn't have the same resonance.  If you did something vibrant and new in the style of such art, you might be on to something more interesting.  Perhaps court cards in an Art Deco style holding library books?  I don't know - but anything other than reprints of old advertisements from generations ago.  You're not going to find as much interest, I suspect, than you would if you used original art.  It can be art in the style of the old posters, but something fresh and new will be more eye-catching in this case, especially looking at the bland color palette of the posters you've put on your sample cards on the website.  Even a refresh of the artwork with brighter and more vibrant colors might be an improvement.

The one plus you have running in your favor, should you opt to proceed with the project as is, is that you have the budget down to about 500 quid - in the ballpark of 700 dollars American, give or take, depending on the prevailing exchange rate on a given day.  That's a real shoestring budget, but if you can indeed deliver on a budget that small, you won't require a huge number of interested buyers in order to hit your goal - but watch the price point, as deck collectors will pay top dollar for premium decks, but most decks made in such tiny print runs don't fit that bill.  You just need to insure that you've covered every single base in terms of what needs to be paid for, from the first postage stamp to the last padded envelope and everything in-between.  I've seen many a wide-eyed deck designer forced to dig deep into their own pockets because they miscalculated what they needed to deliver on a project and funds ran out around the time the decks started going out the door.

The final caveat I have for you - the bulk of the modern deck market consists of kids, mostly male, under the age of 25.  It's not exclusively the domain of the young, but they do make up the lion's share of the dollars spent.  When's the last time you saw one of them crack open a book they weren't assigned for homework?  It's a rare event.  Pushing a deck with artwork from ads promoting libraries to them is about as likely to succeed as trying to sell Windows 95 using TV ads during the 2016 Super Bowl.  Your potential market is more narrow, largely outside the normal deck collector base, and your focus on it has to be that much sharper.  Find websites catering to bibliophiles and push it like the latest prescription drug to them.  If your ad campaign was a car, you'd have to drive it like you stole it.  Make sure everyone who loves a book, any book, knows you're making this deck.  If you know anyone at Barnes and Noble (largest bookstore chain in the US) or its British/European counterparts, get this deck in front of their buyers - perhaps you won't even need a Kickstarter campaign in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:21:05 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I have to agree with a lot of what Don said. There is not something that's going to appeal to the masses. You definitely what to promote this to the book crowd. You may also consider putting it under the "Publishing" category on KS as opposed to the "Games" category if you can.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have to agree with a lot of what Don said. There is not something that's going to appeal to the masses. You definitely what to promote this to the book crowd. You may also consider putting it under the "Publishing" category on KS as opposed to the "Games" category if you can.

As I hear it, lately KS has been forcing playing card projects into the Games category - many used to list under Design to stand out more from the crowd.  I could be wrong, though.  This would do better in Design than Publishing or Games, I think.  People go to Publishing with a certain expectation (the written word, usually!), and a pack of cards isn't part of that expectation.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »

wordnerdgames

• Newcomer
Hi Don and Rob - Thanks for the feedback, I fully appreciate it. I feared as much - that it wouldn't appeal to the cardist crowd as much, and truth be told I have been testing this with the bookish crowd most of all. It seems to go down well, and I'll be taking your advice about pushing it to them more. I really need to get the first print run doen and get packs to bookstores like you say. Cheers boys! D :¬)

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:20:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Don and Rob - Thanks for the feedback, I fully appreciate it. I feared as much - that it wouldn't appeal to the cardist crowd as much, and truth be told I have been testing this with the bookish crowd most of all. It seems to go down well, and I'll be taking your advice about pushing it to them more. I really need to get the first print run doen and get packs to bookstores like you say. Cheers boys! D :¬)

Seriously, try and get a book store chain on board with your project BEFORE launching on Kickstarter, if at all possible.  Do it afterwards only if they haven't jumped on board.  You can offer to make it a branded deck for the company and they might want to make thousands or tens of thousands of decks in time for the holidays.  Be prepared, as well, for the possibility that they'd simply want to buy the design from you outright - I've seen that happen before.

Library Lovers Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Library Lovers Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
These look like a 5th grade project to me.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
These look like a 5th grade project to me.

I was thinking airport deck, myself.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
One thing I have trouble with, that could be overcome, is the inconsistent sizing on the face card images. We have hard lines there, without a consistent size it really throws things off for me.

It's an interesting idea for a deck of playing cards although I'm unsure if this design is the best way to get it across. I think there could have been a slightly different approach and gotten an effect that would work a little better. Possibly putting a proper frame around the images and ghosting the edges of the images a little or smearing some of the color along the edges into what resembles the side of a pip. I don't know, something. It's a bit too static feeling to me and I do love the library.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I knew I'd seen the project before.  I've merged the two topics on it.

Advertising a deck of cards with books to an audience that wouldn't know a book if it bit them is probably not the best concept out there.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »

AurelianDesign

• Newcomer

I'd be interested to learn who you are using as your printer.
catplayingcards.com
aureliandesign.com freelance graphic designer