You are Here:
Mexican Themed Deck

Author (Read 7234 times)

Re: Mexican Themed Deck
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
So how do the new pips look like? I like  the new back design, but I wasn't a big fan of the first card faces, looked more like a children's card game to me. Do you have more pics?

All the corner pips are changing to standard. The courts will all be in color, just like the two I posted.

I will post more court cards soon

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Here's two court cards with modified pips (thanks to Don!)

Modified: La India, The Queen of Diamonds, represents the indigenous women of Mexico.

Zapata, The King of Spades, honors a leading figure in the Mexican Revolution

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

So, your printer is in Mexico?  Who's doing the work for you?

"Hecho en Mexico" does mean "made in Mexico" in Spanish, after all...

I understand the confusion.

The name of the deck is "Hecho en Mexico".

I know, I know, it was made in the U.S. And probably printed in Taiwan or wherever legends is if I go with them. And that may cause confusion

But the heart and idea behind it is Mexican inspired. The designer and I are also both Mexican.

And him and I believe that's just a beautiful name, being in Spanish too.

We'll be making it very clear that hecho in Mexico is the name, not the place it was made.

I'd dodge that name like a wet, sloppy drunk dressed in puke-stained rags.  Seriously.  You could run into some serious issues with something like that.  You wouldn't want your decks stopped at the port by US Customs for mislabeled country of origin.

Legends PCC is headquartered in Hong Kong.  They mostly print out of the same plant in Taiwan used by Expert PCC, but they recently started using a second plant located in mainland China, to the best of my knowledge.  There's no way on Earth Customs agents would let a product marked "Hecho en Mexico" enter the US after they were clearly manufactured in and shipped from Asia.  The labels indicating they weren't made in Mexico would have to be larger than the name of the deck, I would imagine, before they'd even consider letting them in!  And that doesn't even begin to cover "truth in advertising" laws...  You yank the cork out of that bottle, that genie's going to whup your butt in court and you'll have a lot of pissed-off, empty-handed backers on your hands.

It would be far, far easier to call them "Mexico" or "Pride of Mexico" or almost anything with the word "Mexico" in it that doesn't say it was made in Mexico.  You'll trigger a lot of ironic laughter, perhaps, but you won't run into legal issues.  "Mexican Design" would be a better name!  But if you insist on using "Hecho en Mexico," GET LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.  I can't emphasize this enough:

GET LEGAL ADVICE FIRST!

From a licensed lawyer experienced in U.S. Customs law, not anyone else!  Not some web page, not some law student, not some paralegal working out of your uncle's criminal law firm.  A CUSTOMS LAWYER, PERIOD.  Advice from anyone else will be worth the paper it's printed on, nothing more.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:06:18 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
I was worried about that....

New name!!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:43:12 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Here are the modified suits and pips. Thank you all for always being honest and bringing things to my attention.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:09:47 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
VIVA MEXICO - I like that :) Makes me want to go visit (so that must be a good thing ;) ) Unless a football club (or the restaurant, or the musical) has a patent on the name, I think you're looking good. As Don says, best to do all the groundwork before setting things in stone :)

Pips - nice improvements :) Cornchip/Diamonds looking good, as are the Cacti/Clubs (and Tomato/Hearts).
Avocado/Spades look good, though they are quite similar to 'hearts' in shape (especially when reversed)... How would you feel about adding part of a 'branch' between the two halves for a more 'spady' feel?

*wave*

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Avocado/Spades look good, though they are quite similar to 'hearts' in shape (especially when reversed)... How would you feel about adding part of a 'branch' between the two halves for a more 'spady' feel?

*wave*

Thank you for your kind words!. That is actually the first thing I did and I wasn't crazy about it.

The colors (green vs red) and the pips should help differentiate the two (hearts and spades).

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 02:34:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The new name is far better.  It's probably a little too generic to worry about a copyright claim, though you should check into trademarks - in the US.  US company on US soil, US laws apply.

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here are the modified suits and pips. Thank you all for always being honest and bringing things to my attention.

I've been lurking this thread since it's started and haven't posted because Don and others have done a great job steering this into the right direction. The changes that have been made to it thus far are all good.

I must say though that personally, I'm not a fan of the pips being mixed between standard and custom. I'm not sure of any other deck that has done this and maybe it's just me, but it's a bit jarring.

Just my .02c

Keep it coming!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:11:24 AM by Vadim Smolenskiy »

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

I've been lurking this thread since it's started and haven't posted because Don and others have done a great job steering this into the right direction. The changes that have been made to it thus far are all good.

I must say though that personally, I'm not a fan of the pips being mixed between standard and custom. I'm not sure of any other deck that has done this and maybe it's just me, but it's a bit jarring.

Just my .02c

Keep it coming!

Thank you for showing interest!

I did agree with a lot of the suggestions Don made and acted on them.

I personally like the standard pips, Malam playing cards did it as well.

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 01:47:23 AM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Jokers :)

Campaign will be live Wednesday ! Thank you all for your feedback  and support.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:48:28 AM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 01:34:53 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Looking great so far.. cute joker great for kids too..  ;D
Back for more

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 05:28:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Jokers :)

Campaign will be live Wednesday ! Thank you all for your feedback  and support.

If you're using a printer that will allow enough extra cards, I'd suggest making that deck with THREE jokers - two identical jokers with the piñatas intact and one with a broken piñata.  I can think of some interesting ways they could be used in a card trick!

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »

Mr.parangot

• True Member
The idea with 3 jokers is great. A reveal in the broken piñata would be cool then.

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Jay, firstly, good luck on your campaign, I am in! :D

Just a quick comment...how would it look if you put the avocado pit below the split avocado so that it looks more like a spade...the pit could be the 'stem' of the spade...just a thought :-\
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:08:45 PM by Cardfool »

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »

cardlover

Hi, Jay!
A few weeks ago you advised:

don't rush the campaign [on KS]. Slow down and make sure you have a great final product. I say this from experience.

It is a piece of good advice. And exactly for this reason we develop our deck of cards during over a year, use all accessible information, user polls and expert consulting of collectors, professional gamers, magicians etc.

I see you bring improvements during KS campaign (e.g. design of tuck). Did you changed your opinion? Why?

I wish you good luck with your project!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:00:40 AM by cardlover »
During the last year I’ve working on my own deck. It's time to say thank you all very much for helpful information and advice! Thank you, PLAYING CARD FORUM that you are exist! This project started with your support!
Finally, our project on kickstarter