You are Here:
Best Christmas Decks!

Author (Read 1959 times)

Best Christmas Decks!
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
With Christmas a little over a month away I am considering giving all my nieces and nephews a deck of cards with their Christmas present. Would like for them to be Christmas/Holiday themed and would like each deck to be different (not just in color) for each kid. I was wanting to see if anyone had some ideas for decks that are still readily available. I need 10 decks that would appeal to kids from 5-15. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:37:52 AM by Will W. »
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: Best Christmas Decks!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:20:38 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I have a few on my wishlist from Amazon (just go search there for 'Christmas playing cards') that are pretty nice, including the Coca Cola sets and some from US Game Systems.  The only one I have right now is the Old Time Christmas Angels (https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=12917).  The challenge will be finding one that appeals to them all which may very well mean skipping the vintage looking ones and getting a Santa or kid friendly deck which probably means the quality isn't there.  I've also seen Peanuts and Charlie Brown Christmas cards, but not lately as new that would be widely available.

Side note, really looking forward to playing this themed card game this year http://www.amazon.com/Gamesmith-GMS-1212-Days-Card/dp/B008SMSUYK

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I have a few on my wishlist from Amazon (just go search there for 'Christmas playing cards') that are pretty nice, including the Coca Cola sets and some from US Game Systems.  The only one I have right now is the Old Time Christmas Angels (https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?mydeckid=12917).  The challenge will be finding one that appeals to them all which may very well mean skipping the vintage looking ones and getting a Santa or kid friendly deck which probably means the quality isn't there.  I've also seen Peanuts and Charlie Brown Christmas cards, but not lately as new that would be widely available.

Side note, really looking forward to playing this themed card game this year http://www.amazon.com/Gamesmith-GMS-1212-Days-Card/dp/B008SMSUYK
I would like to get them standard decks. Decks that you can play all the most popular card games with. I thought about coke decks as I have a lot of them already but I would prefer for them to be non-advertising decks. I really just wanted to see some opinions on peoples favorites to spark some ideas... Good quality cards to bolster their interests in playing cards.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think you'd do good with the Bicycle Leaf Backs.  On the one hand, they have a Christmas-y look and color scheme.  But on the other hand, they're not specifically about Christmas or the holidays, meaning they'd see use in the rest of the year as well.

Otherwise, really, I'd stay away from a Christmas deck altogether.  Perhaps something nice and basic but different - Tally Ho decks, Twins, etc.

Of course, you want more variety - the Coke decks were mentioned, there's a modified reprint of the Santa Backs by Bill Merz based off the Maiden Back decks.  USPC used to put out some holiday-themed mini decks, though they aren't easy to find - I haven't seen them since maybe the 2012 catalog.

You can also get decks that are like toys themselves.  There's a Spongebob Squarepants deck printed in 3-D complete with two-tone glasses in red/blue.  Nephews a bit older might get a kick out of zombie-themed decks.  USPC has the Cat deck and two versions of the Dog deck - and both also come in minis, though with far fewer cutesy photos in them.

However you opt to go, I wouldn't stick too strictly to "holiday-themed" only.  How many kids wear those holiday-themed sweaters between the second week of January and Thanksgiving?  Go for something that sparks their interests.  Maybe a kid likes Harry Potter or steampunk far more than Santa Claus or some snowmen?  Younger kids would dig holiday-themed cards more than the kids at the older end of that age spectrum.

Order quick - remember last year's cruddy weather and shipping fiascos?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I agree with Don. Leaf backs are a great deck for the holiday season. They're a great deck for the not holiday season too. One of the few that really can fit the all year use and still be holiday-esque. Gamblers Warehouse will have the metallic gold leaf backs soon too, while a little more expensive than the normal green reds GW does a great job and I think they're going to turn out really well. Also metallic inks tend to catch the eye, especially if it's the first time someone has seen them.

The Santa backs are one ways and may get the job done but they're a bit on the pricey side for a one way in my opinion. Still a great choice if you're willing to fit the bill. I think they have a christmas carols deck that's doesn't have the iconography that the coke decks do. I honestly don't remember the santa count on that deck though I only saw it once. May be worth looking into though.

There are some, five I believe, fun Peanuts holiday decks. Non holiday decks as well featuring Snoopy. These aren't as common as they used to be though, may be a bit on the pricey side. I remember a Nightmare before Christmas deck or two as well a scooby doo deck with a holiday theme.

Last that come to mind off the top of my head are Krampus decks, The holiday devil. Three decks I know of that feature Krampus and one isn't bad on price at all. Course, Seasons beatings may not be for everyone. Some kids, although they seem very rare anymore, are actually good kids haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Thanks guys. Some really good ideas here. After reconsidering I think Don has the right of it. Im going to spend a little time considering what might peak the interest of each one of them and stay away from christmas themed decks for all but one who I know loves christmas decor (Gold leafbacks would be good for her).   I will try not to spend too much time at it because I DO remember  last years nightmare shipping during the holiday season.  In fact  I may even pick and choose from my own collection and then replenish it later to prevent any shipping mishaps. I actually think Zombie decks might appeal to half of them.   ;)
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks guys. Some really good ideas here. After reconsidering I think Don has the right of it. Im going to spend a little time considering what might peak the interest of each one of them and stay away from christmas themed decks for all but one who I know loves christmas decor (Gold leafbacks would be good for her).   I will try not to spend too much time at it because I DO remember  last years nightmare shipping during the holiday season.  In fact  I may even pick and choose from my own collection and then replenish it later to prevent any shipping mishaps. I actually think Zombie decks might appeal to half of them.   ;)

Just had an idea for a wicked-cool stocking stuffer - Ellusionist's Artifice mini decks!  They recently reprinted them at a better quality level so now they perform a little closer to the real thing (if you have really tiny hands)!  They're cute as hell and come in five color combinations.

In general, get them really cool-looking cards that they'll never find elsewhere.  They'll get oohs and aahs from their friends when they take 'em out for a game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:35:25 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:55 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

Just had an idea for a wicked-cool stocking stuffer - Ellusionist's Artifice mini decks!  They recently reprinted them at a better quality level so now they perform a little closer to the real thing (if you have really tiny hands)!  They're cute as hell and come in five color combinations.

In general, get them really cool-looking cards that they'll never find elsewhere.  They'll get oohs and aahs from their friends when they take 'em out for a game.

Thats a great idea.  My wife was actually thinking she could make a bow for their presents using one of the mini decks.  The colorful Artifice decks might work good for that purpose.  I will let you know how it turns out. Shes gonna experiment.
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
The tundra almost looks like a snowflake, so it can for th Xmas theme :)

You can play it safe and just get red and green back bikes or the bicycle gold & silver twin pack
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

You can play it safe and just get red and green back bikes or the bicycle gold & silver twin pack
Anyone know a good place to get a set (all 5 colors) or two of the mini artifices. $13 per deck on ebay with shipping.  ???
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
The source - http://www.ellusionist.com/artifice-mini.html.  All 5 for $20, as little as $5 shipping.  Don't forget about the mini arcane and rounders too.

Anyone know a good place to get a set (all 5 colors) or two of the mini artifices. $13 per deck on ebay with shipping.  ???

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
The source - http://www.ellusionist.com/artifice-mini.html.  All 5 for $20, as little as $5 shipping.  Don't forget about the mini arcane and rounders too.

Awesome.  Thanks!
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i think the red and green would look great next to each other with christmas
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:36:56 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Although it's not a deck of cards to play games with, Fun n Genious decks I think would make a nice xmas stocking filler.

Or you could go to zazzle and create a custom deck :)

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Although it's not a deck of cards to play games with, Fun n Genious decks I think would make a nice xmas stocking filler.

Or you could go to zazzle and create a custom deck :)

A bunch of gaff cards would not be a very good gift for a non-magician.  (That *is* the all-gaff deck, right?)

A Zazzle deck would be a better gift - but even they aren't that great.  They aren't of the same quality as a normal Bicycle deck.  Not to mention that they're really expensive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:11:18 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Ah very true, gaff deck wouldn't be the ideal gift. And yes, it's an all gaff deck where you have multiple fun images on the cards as opposed to numbers/suits.

A personalised deck of cards would make a nice gift, I think.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ah very true, gaff deck wouldn't be the ideal gift. And yes, it's an all gaff deck where you have multiple fun images on the cards as opposed to numbers/suits.

A personalised deck of cards would make a nice gift, I think.

The quality would be pretty low, though - and there's probably not enough time to get them for Christmas gifts.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:09 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
You know, come to think of it. There's a whole lot of playing cards that we never really look at and kids absolutely love. If engaging them with a deck is the goal. The various super hero decks are a good choice as well. There's a Joker deck(Batman) that's hilarious loaded with nothing but Jokers, while that cracks me up personaly it wouldn't be a good idea. Still there are joker decks (Again batman) that feature The Joker from comics or cartoons, as well Batman decks and various others like The Avengers.

Recently picked up a deck for a gift, it's a My Little Pony deck haha. It's absolutely brilliant for a little girl, or boy I guess, who loves MLP. They have names haha, adorable and cheap as chips it was only $3. Anyway, just a thought since kids are usually engaged by images and imagination. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)