Kings & Crooks "Prince of Darkness" ?
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Kings & Crooks

16 hrs  ยท

Haunting faces from the past, too dark to ever see the light.
 Only 6 decks ever existed, they started it all.

Kings & Crooks
First deck I ever designed, 2006-7. It got me Ellusionist, where I went on to design Arcane. Thinking about resurrecting this. Beauty and the beast, intertwined for eternity. If the prince of darkness himself was a card man, this would be his tool of destruction.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Kings & Crooks "Prince of Darkness" ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, I'm intrigued...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Wish I could see what's in the corners of the card back. What I can see, I think I like. ;D
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wish I could see what's in the corners of the card back. What I can see, I think I like. ;D

It's undoubtedly a redesign of the Bicycle Rider Back - probably little demons or something.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It's nice remembering the past but K&C's future is much brighter then to go backwards down this dark and dated trail. When a custom E deck was little more then a riderback redesign. I would not be a buyer of this.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Please by all means, resurect away Lee, lol

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's nice remembering the past but K&C's future is much brighter then to go backwards down this dark and dated trail. When a custom E deck was little more then a riderback redesign. I would not be a buyer of this.

It's far from identical.  It couldn't be, for him to be able to alter it this much.  What is the big deal?  You've seen one thing - a card back.  No face, no tucks, nothing else.  And you're all ready to prejudge the entire project as being not worth it?  If you were making a case to me about how bad this deck is and trying to convince me not to buy it, the evidence available would make it a really weak argument.

To each his own, of course.  I'm holding my opinion until I actually see enough of the deck upon which to base one.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
If it is the one I think I saw a few years ago, it'll be displayed on my shelf soon after release. Lee has never let me down so far and I'm positive he'll turn this into a wicked design just like always.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

It's far from identical.  It couldn't be, for him to be able to alter it this much.  What is the big deal?  You've seen one thing - a card back.  No face, no tucks, nothing else.  And you're all ready to prejudge the entire project as being not worth it?  If you were making a case to me about how bad this deck is and trying to convince me not to buy it, the evidence available would make it a really weak argument.

To each his own, of course.  I'm holding my opinion until I actually see enough of the deck upon which to base one.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy it. I don't think its bad. It's just dated for a playing card back and I would not buy it. This is Kings & Crooks we are writing about, not Circle City Card Co. I just don't see a Bicycle redesign as something Lee would seriously consider doing at this point. He might tease it to get a reaction but that's all I think it is.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:38:18 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy it. I don't think its bad. It's just dated for a playing card back and I would not buy it. This is Kings & Crooks we are writing about, not Circle City Card Co. I just don't see a Bicycle redesign as something Lee would seriously consider doing at this point. He might tease it to get a reaction but that's all I think it is.

Only time (or Lee) can tell.  To me, it looks like an homage to the Rider Back, but an original application - certainly different enough to not trigger USPC Legal to reject it.  But I'm going to wait until there's an actual product before commenting, 'cause right now there's just not enough to form an opinion.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Only time (or Lee) can tell.  To me, it looks like an homage to the Rider Back, but an original application - certainly different enough to not trigger USPC Legal to reject it.  But I'm going to wait until there's an actual product before commenting, 'cause right now there's just not enough to form an opinion.

I usually know right away. Some get me, and then I will what to see more. For me, I know it's not my cup of tea. I don't need to see any more.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:01:30 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 04:19:53 AM »

Kings & Crooks

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

Appreciate such kind comments and houghts here, and you're all correct!

At the time (2006), this design and theme was quite progressive (and incredibly detailed) and largely unseen in the newly blossoming custom card world. Primarily why it caught Brads eyes I think. It stood strong, however, looking at it with todays eyes carries a slightly different perspective.

Yes, the future is forward, not backward. If I intended on producing at all, I would NOT do it "as is".  As @CardPlayer touched on, personally I feel a re-design would definitely be in order to breathe some new life into it and make it rage on a whole new level we can get excited about.

Great to hear the feedback though and I'm glad it sparked a little flame of interest. It's been kept undercover for so long, I was eager to finally share it with those who'd appreciate it.

Thank you guys,
Lee
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:20:35 AM by Kings & Crooks »

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Eating of playing cards is harmful to the health.  8)

I think Lee will do (in case of his desire) some interesting deck on the basis of the idea. He is attentive to details.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Hey guys,

At the time (2006), this design and theme was quite progressive (and incredibly detailed) and largely unseen in the newly blossoming custom card world. Primarily why it caught Brads eyes I think. It stood strong, however, looking at it with todays eyes carries a slightly different perspective.

Yes, the future is forward, not backward. If I intended on producing at all, I would NOT do it "as is".  As @CardPlayer touched on, personally I feel a re-design would definitely be in order to breathe some new life into it and make it rage on a whole new level we can get excited about.

Great to hear the feedback though and I'm glad it sparked a little flame of interest. It's been kept undercover for so long, I was eager to finally share it with those who'd appreciate it.

Thank you guys,
Lee

Awesome Lee...

You really set the bar high with the Empire series and Bloodlines in my opinion. I can only imagine how hard it is being a graphic designer with your skill and trying to use restraint to create a deck like bloodlines. It will look as good in the users hands as it will for those that will display it.

Looking forward to seeing an original back design using some of the same design elements of this 2006 back.  A dirty, dark & mysterious deck of cards.

All the best!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:46:29 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Hey guys,

Thank you guys,
Lee

Did this original design have a name? That way I can correct the topic heading.  :)

From what I see this looks pretty cool. I think a redesign is definitely in order.  :D
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB