You are Here:
The Retro Deck - Playing Cards by Pocono Modern (KS)

Author (Read 3019 times)

The Retro Deck - Playing Cards by Pocono Modern (KS)
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
The Retro Deck - Playing Cards by Pocono Modern

They only did $13,000 on the first project. I know this is 2 colors, but I think in this case- get 1 color funded and the second as a stretch goal.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: The Retro Deck - Playing Cards by Pocono Modern (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:22:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As unusual as the designs are, compared with the standard, I really like this design.  They really nailed that late-50s/early-60s aesthetic.  The pips are a little odd, being as elongated as they are, but the layout is simple enough and the indices are clear as a bell and easy to read.  It's distinctive without being ridiculous, like too many designs I've seen recently.

My sole suggestion would be to push the indices a little closer to the corners.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I like this almost minimal style and the pips look awesome to me. I like the fresh take on this. The back of the card is a little blah to me and the Jokers could have been done better. The box looks cool too. Overall it looks pretty good to me!

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I really like both decks a lot. I think they could do some things to make them a little better and a little less inky. So much ink will have an impact on the handling. Moving the Indices out just a touch would help too, but I'm sure everyone knew I'd say that anyway. :P

The problem with this campaign isn't the cards though, it's the pledge tiers. If the campaign doesn't make it,  I think it'll be because of that. The decks are wonderful. If you don't want a brick, best bet is to get as near to a $10 or $20 pledge slot as possible and add on what you like from there. You'll end up saving a couple bucks. More work for them sure, you have to list it all after the campaign but they kinda did it to themselves. Example of my current pledge $80 for 6 decks, 1 collectors box, and 1 ceramic chip. Best I could do if I didn't have an EB and get the same is $82 by taking a very low amount pledge again and adding on. If I use their six deck tier I'm in for $86 instead or $82 or my current $80. Six bucks is a nice sit down lunch at some of the local restaurants here, including a beverage. I like lunch, so yea those six bucks matter to me.

Always a bad idea to charge a premium of a few bucks per teir for the ease of hitting a pledge tier and leaving it. It's Kickstarter and regardless of silly head comments that show up pretty frequently from passion and lack of patience, most KS backers aren't stupid. Tiers like this can keep people from backing it at all.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
FYI - Pledge tiers were recently adjusted to be more reasonable in greater quantities.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Technically, this isn't a relaunch.  The first campaign was to create the "dark" version of the deck.  After the campaign failed, they went ahead and created the deck anyway, which is now available on their website.  This campaign is to make a "light" version of the deck.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Technically, this isn't a relaunch.  The first campaign was to create the "dark" version of the deck.  After the campaign failed, they went ahead and created the deck anyway, which is now available on their website.  This campaign is to make a "light" version of the deck.

The first campaign was to create a set :)

"partial relaunch" ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

"partial relaunch" ;)

This is true Collector, the first was indeed a set. Of the Set, I was mostly interested in the white deck myself. I'm particularly excited to see it's come back to KS with it's solo funding goal. While some may see it as a re-color I see it as being able to finish the set. This is a deck that absolutely should be made and the set complete in my opinion. I'm also pleased to see the chip board set box returning. What a great add-on, I love the look of the box.

I've always been happy with the quality of Pocono Modern's products and designs. The Grey deck from this set is no exception and I believe the White will follow suit. Wonderful cards to use. I hope this over funds quickly, there may be some super sharp stretch goal waiting in the wings. Will be interesting to see if there is.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:36:22 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

"partial relaunch" ;)

...This is a deck that absolutely should be made and the set complete in my opinion...

I've always been happy with the quality of Pocono Modern's products and designs...

+1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The white Retro deck is now funded. Eleven days left, if you've been on the fence about this deck it's plenty of time for you to pledge.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This Set works better than expected for Poker, I didn't think it would but yea I was wrong. No complaints in that department at all. Which means, either people quit whining for those two games or they just didn't have a problem. Probably a bit of both haha. Thought I would mention it since I found it interesting.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 02:00:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just love the overall design of the faces and the back.  He did a splendid job of it, and I like very much how he used more standard-looking suit pips in the indices while making elongated, "futuristic-in-a-'60s-kind-of-way" pips in the center art.  Highly playable and yet highly beautiful at the same time.

I only wish I'd gotten in on both projects!

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 03:04:23 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I only wish I'd gotten in on both projects!

You can be happy you didn't...Pocono Modern is currently running a sale where Woodland decks start at 6USD and the Retro Decks start at 7USD and get cheaper if you buy in quantities. ;). Get 'em while you can.