You are Here:
DEBBIE MILLMAN: POETIC TYPOGRAPHY (DS)

Author (Read 2706 times)

DEBBIE MILLMAN: POETIC TYPOGRAPHY (DS)
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: DEBBIE MILLMAN: POETIC TYPOGRAPHY (DS)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Almost pretty.  Completely impractical.  Oh, well.

And that doesn't even factor in the price of TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS A DECK...  Which appears to be Deckstarter's new norm, since the other starting deck has the same price tag...  Yikes...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:15:46 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
The package design is interesting but impractical if you're to use the deck often. The design is.. Just no. No, no, no.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
Would I pay $12 for it on kickstarter? Yes. But kickstarter's price tag is so low it lets me impulse buy. Sometimes I will just back a deck if I am bored... but $25? That's almost 4 decks from Ellusionist! Or a magic trick from Penguin. I guess I didn't realize some of you card collectors are loaded.
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Quote from DS email

Thank you so much for supporting the launch of DeckStarter and the release of our first two decks. We are incredibly thrilled to announce we have reached 100% funding for both of them. Hooray!!

I figured the Draplin Design would reach the $10,000 goal. But I thought this one was around $3,000 a couple days ago, now at $10,717   :-\

by the way I didn't support the launch. I'm just on the mailing list  :P
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »

vmagic

Yes there is definitely some suspicion concerning the funding of this deck, how it got to $10,000 i'll never know. Also take a look at the $500 tier, there was 5 of those for resellers and they sold all 5. Meanwhile the other deck, which is nicer and selling well, still has 2 of those available. Yeah not suspicious at all, lol. If the deck is a failure then Dan & Dave should let it fail, not fund it themselves just to make themselves look good.

I'm also slightly confused, why are we trying to fund something that is already printed? Why not just sell the decks?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:32:05 PM by VJose32 »

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Yes there is definitely some suspicion concerning the funding of this deck, how it got to $10,000 i'll never know. Also take a look at the $500 tier, there was 5 of those for resellers and they sold all 5. Meanwhile the other deck, which is nicer and selling well, still has 2 of those available. Yeah not suspicious at all, lol. If the deck is a failure then Dan & Dave should let it fail, not fund it themselves just to make themselves look good.

I'm also slightly confused, why are we trying to fund something that is already printed? Why not just sell the decks?

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/draplin-design-co-thick-lines-edition-(ds)/msg98549/#msg98549

I mentioned this on the thick lines thread. D&D will not let the first two decks fail. It would look terrible of Deckstarter if they did. They took a gamble by having the decks printed before getting funded. They will or already have covered their costs. No one will remember or care months down the road how the projects were funded, only that they were.

To be successful, they need to show potential designers why its better to use Deckstarter over Kickstarter/Indiegogo. They can't be offering commissioned Deckstarter exclusive decks forever. They need to find ways of getting the Kickstarter/Indiegogo users that back a variety of projects (not just cards) over to Deckstarter. Maybe they kickstart the "Deckstarter" company to bring in start-up and operating revenue, while also providing consumer awareness to the Kickstarter/Indiegogo demographic?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:31:17 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:14:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/draplin-design-co-thick-lines-edition-(ds)/msg98549/#msg98549

I mentioned this on the thick lines thread. D&D will not let the first two decks fail. It would look terrible of Deckstarter if they did. They took a gamble by having the decks printed before getting funded. They will or already have covered their costs. No one will remember or care months down the road how the projects were funded, only that they were.

To be successful, they need to show potential designers why its better to use Deckstarter over Kickstarter/Indiegogo. They can't be offering commissioned Deckstarter exclusive decks forever. They need to find ways of getting the Kickstarter/Indiegogo users that back a variety of projects (not just cards) over to Deckstarter. Maybe they kickstart the "Deckstarter" company to bring in start-up and operating revenue, while also providing consumer awareness to the Kickstarter/Indiegogo demographic?

One major issue with Deckstarter is that they're only going to get people interested in decks, whether it's because they're collectors or they're interested in high design doodads.  Kickstarter gets people interested in backing projects - often a wide variety of projects.  A fair percentage of any successful deck's campaign usually consists of people who were on KS to back something else or were just "window-shopping" and stumbled across the project out of serendipity.  Deckstarter won't get people like that.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:46 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I share the same suspeician regarding the miraculous surge in funding that this deck received.

Admittedly, I have virtually zero interest in D&D decks, because they seem to be more into mediocre design with strong brand names (HMNIM, Bruce Lee, and now  these decks) and not really into great design and/or card quality (it's just "the usual" USPPC stuff).

The Thick Lines deck, in my opinion, was pretty boring. When people talk about great design, I think of the likes of Paul Carpenter, Randy Butterfield, and Mark Stutzman -- basically, the original designs that they come out with, nobody else off the street would be able to do. On the other hand, that Thick Lines deck looks like something anybody can do with MS paint. Really lazy and boring.

This Poetic Typography deck... as Don stated, it's an impractical deck. The $3000 funding that it was stuck on the most of the campaign, that looked about right for a deck like that... and then out of nowhere, it picks up $7000 in less than a day!

Either some of the artist's corporate friends "helped out", or D&D, well, helped themselves.

Still, I wish DeckStarter all the very best -- I hope the next decks are better :)
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:38 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I guess I didn't realize some of you card collectors are loaded.

There are tons of loaded card collectors...especially when i see some of them supporting $500-1000 pledges in KS. How i wish i could lean towards that category, then maybe i won't bother about how this deck looks and just get a couple irregardless.

But since i'm not in that category, this deck will not be in my collection. I would have to consider even if it was at $10, but definitely not at $25. The thing is, because of D&D and Deckstarter, and how it was "successfully funded", i believe many collectors will just grab a couple just because of the branding. The "Deckstarter" deck was by no means a nice deck, but because it was limited, it was snatched and re-sold almost immediately.

There are many "lurkers" on KS who jumps in on a card project when it is well on a path of being funded. I will not be surprised if many will also jump in this deck on the "successfully funded" brand and grab a few, whether they like it or not, just because they feel it must have certain value being "successful".