You are Here:
Excellence Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 7361 times)

Excellence Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Excellence Bicycle Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Man, so this is what, the third project in a row recently and have yet to deliver on the first? I'm not doubting them, I've got a couple of their earlier decks, they're just freaking busy is all I am saying.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Man, so this is what, the third project in a row recently and have yet to deliver on the first? I'm not doubting them, I've got a couple of their earlier decks, they're just freaking busy is all I am saying.
yea, they are very busy, but they have always delivered on time. They sent my order wrong once. They were very quick to respond, and correct it. They are also still selling at $10 or less per deck. Almost no one else is doing that.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:20 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm not too sure if this is going to be their style for the rest of their decks, but it is getting a little monotonous to me...especially with this deck and the last 2... I bet if we mixed up certain suits, people might not know its from a different deck.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Elite Playing Cards has a signature style, and this fits within that style.  They go for baroquely elaborate designs with lots of fine details and the look of filigree.  It was never my cup of tea, but they've got a bunch of loyal fans who eat this up and ask for seconds.  It's hard to blame Elite for sticking to a formula that works, as long as it continues to work.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:09:48 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
Back when they started out, I liked it a lot. Now, it's just market saturation with too many similarly styled decks in a short time.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:25:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Back when they started out, I liked it a lot. Now, it's just market saturation with too many similarly styled decks in a short time.

Perhaps that formula is no longer working...  I guess we'll see with this deck.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

This is similar to my experience.  Too many awesome and much more unique decks coming out for me to spend my money on a deck that is very similar in style to their previous decks.  But I think their formula is still working.  One day and they are approx 1k away from funding. 

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I love this design and am backing this one big as well. I love the series. Similar, yet unique. Just a few dollars from being funded.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Their rewards don't change much either. I guess if it's not broke, why fix it? 

They are quite an enigma in my mind as no one seems crazy about them but they are super successful with most of their project.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »

verloren

• Forum Regular

They are quite an enigma in my mind as no one seems crazy about them but they are super successful with most of their project.
At least they aren't releasing their previous decks in a different color.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

I've got similar thoughts, but a lot of people out there must like their decks as they always get funded, relatively easily too.

If nothing else, they've got their own style and market and they've stuck with it.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Yes, i guess they are quite mysterious in that way. We don't really hear anyone raving about their decks anywhere close to a Jackson, Uusi or Paul Carpenter's deck, but yet their decks seem to get a strong following and funded every single time. Probably not a top 10 deck in anyone's list as well.

Perhaps they are good at making decks with a style not that much to rave about, but just good enough to be amongst the top KS decks to get funded.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm very curious...do those of you that aren't super-enthused about the deck consider yourself primarily a collector, magician, card player, or cardist? I'm about 99% collector, and i love the look of their designs. You're right that they do have a large and enthusiastic audience that funds their projects in a hurry, so I was curious as to whether it was primarily collectors that are snapping their stuff up. The e-mail that I received about this launch (Likely because I have backed their previous projects) listed them as "Exclusively for collectors". That's pretty brazen to aim them at one sector of a very large group of card consumers, but it obviously works. It seems that I may be the only person on this forum (At least that admits it) that is in to their decks in a big way (decks, uncuts, poker sets, posters) Just curious...

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm very curious...do those of you that aren't super-enthused about the deck consider yourself primarily a collector, magician, card player, or cardist? I'm about 99% collector, and i love the look of their designs. You're right that they do have a large and enthusiastic audience that funds their projects in a hurry, so I was curious as to whether it was primarily collectors that are snapping their stuff up. The e-mail that I received about this launch (Likely because I have backed their previous projects) listed them as "Exclusively for collectors". That's pretty brazen to aim them at one sector of a very large group of card consumers, but it obviously works. It seems that I may be the only person on this forum (At least that admits it) that is in to their decks in a big way (decks, uncuts, poker sets, posters) Just curious...

I would consider myself a collector, and i wouldn't say their artwork isn't good. In fact, i think it is, that's why i backed some of their projects. I too received the email, but when i saw it, it just doesn't excite me anymore. Sure enough, it has their unique style there that one look i would know its from the same designer, but to keep producing decks that look somewhat similar kinda leaves no room to be surprised/impressed/awed anymore.

Imagine Jackson releases 8 KS projects that just keeps circling around Fed52s. I'm sure the artwork will still be great, but I wouldn't be as excited to see it or pledge it as compared to a KS project that has a similar standard of artwork but took up a brand new concept. I think a good example to me will be Uusi. Their decks have a certain style of artwork to it, but each deck they have released so far circles around a different theme, that's why i like their work so much.

There is no doubt that this deck has good artwork, but I'm just a little bored with it. I'm hoping they could maintain their style but have a whole new theme behind it, but as of now, this feels more like a deck i would back if i had spare cash.

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very good points. The point about Jackson and Federal 52 is interesting. I've heard something similar cited many times here, but The Federal 52 project is 10 somewhat similar decks, all based around currency. Bicycle and unbranded versions of 5 decks, with the black deck being the major difference amongst them. They weren't released in 5 or 10 KS projects, but I consider the concept similar. Elite is releasing this 4 part series separately, instead of in one KS project (or two). I'm not picking on Jackson or his projects. I love his work and back his projects in a big way every time, it's just interesting to hear people talk about a similar style/theme in Elite's decks, but not mention others who follow similar paths. Jackson't work is definitely a step above Elite's, so the comparison isn't cut and dried, I just note that for folks to ponder.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Very good points. The point about Jackson and Federal 52 is interesting. I've heard something similar cited many times here, but The Federal 52 project is 10 somewhat similar decks, all based around currency. Bicycle and unbranded versions of 5 decks, with the black deck being the major difference amongst them. They weren't released in 5 or 10 KS projects, but I consider the concept similar. Elite is releasing this 4 part series separately, instead of in one KS project (or two). I'm not picking on Jackson or his projects. I love his work and back his projects in a big way every time, it's just interesting to hear people talk about a similar style/theme in Elite's decks, but not mention others who follow similar paths. Jackson't work is definitely a step above Elite's, so the comparison isn't cut and dried, I just note that for folks to ponder.

I'm not trying to single out Elite's deck as the only one who keeps repeating a similar style/theme. Likewise, with no offense to Jackson, and as mentioned by you, The Feds had 10 somewhat similar decks. But the thing is, he released it over 2 projects. People were impressed with his work on the 1st project. The second project had a strong backing also because of how well the first project did, as well as the new supporters who missed out on the first one (Of course his good work plays a major part). But if you released it over 4-5 projects, the results might be different. Of course it could still go both ways, which is either you continuously get more new supporters while retaining the old ones, or people will start to get bored of your decks. But i personally feel unless there is a new breakthrough in the work, even the best artist could fall behind one day.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 01:20:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm an all-of-the-above (except cardist).  I wasn't a big fan of the decks to start with.

I think you might be taking it a little too literally when they describe the deck as "exclusively for collectors."  In theory, anyone purchasing a limited-edition deck is a collector.

Some way, somehow, they managed to find an audience that they strike a chord with.  Could be cardists or magicians looking for something flashier, or it could just be people who think the designs are cool.  For the more chrome-like designs, perhaps they became a big hit in the biker community - who knows?  They managed to tuck into their shirt pocket a decent-sized group of backers and those backers stayed loyal to the company's products.

Also bear in mind that I think most if not all of their decks are Bicycle-branded.  That makes a difference.  I've seen people who will utterly hate a deck of cards that comes out, but buy it anyway simply because it's a Bicycle deck and they're completists.  They're practically compelled to buy the deck solely because of the Bicycle name being attached to it.  I'd bet a sizable portion of their fans and backers are Bicycle completists.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:20:46 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I'll agree that they have a general style, except for the Evolution deck. I didn't like the Platinum, or One Million decks, so I didn't back them. I do have the rest.
There is a reason why they are successful
They keep it simple a few standard add-ons, they set funding and stretch goals to not loose money, and you can get 2 decks for $19.
There last 3 decks plus this one(already funded) total funding over $200,000. Jacksons Fed 52 part II- 6 decks $188,000.

Don't get me wrong. I love Jacksons work, and he has a lot of my money. I've backed every card project, and purchased from his store. I have the SL22 reward level pledged for the Independence deck-8 decks-$185, and there lies the problem. His backers are going to run out of money. I wish he would do a nice 1 or 2 deck project- no limited decks just a nice simple project.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:43:54 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don't get me wrong. I love Jacksons work, and he has a lot of my money. I've backed every card project, and purchased from his store. I have the SL22 reward level pledged for the Independence deck-8 decks-$185, and there lies the problem. His backers are going to run out of money. I wish he would do a nice 1 or 2 deck project- no limited decks just a nice simple project.

"Going to run out??"  I already HAVE!  :))

Yeah, packing all that punch in a single project becomes a real wallet drain, and you can only take something like that a limited number of times before you have to draw the line and say "Enough is enough, I can't keep pace."

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't think that I was taking the "Exclusively for collectors" line too literally, I was just noting that it was interesting because I rarely see it. I see a lot of designers bending over backwards (on KS at least) trying to please all of the groups. Their approach was interesting. The way that I saw it, it was more of a "We are making them for collectors, so that's why they are designed the way that they are", as opposed to a lot of KS creators that make a design, but then cahnge the back to 2-way because card players want that, and then might change the size of the borders for cardists, then might add reveals for magicians. That's just the way that it came across to me, and I may be wrong. Just a thought. Regardless, I really like them for the luxurious, extravagant, and rich look. I buy some cards because of general appeal (to collect, but possibly resell in the future), but these (along with works by Randy, Paul, and Jackson), I buy purely for me, to hold onto forever. Adaptive/variable hoarding? :-)

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I've seen people who will utterly hate a deck of cards that comes out, but buy it anyway simply because it's a Bicycle deck and they're completists.  They're practically compelled to buy the deck solely because of the Bicycle name being attached to it.  I'd bet a sizable portion of their fans and backers are Bicycle completists.
I would have to agree with Don's statement here, I think this is a huge portion of their backers. I've talked myself out of there decks more then once, not because I don't like the design, I think the deck is solid, it' just, as mentioned over and over, a bit redundent in ways.

So since I'm not a millionaire, I have to pick and choose, and I would rather put my money towards Paul's new project. Actually Paul and Encarded are a perfect example of what I like in a designer, every one of his decks is a completely different concept and design. Always new, always fresh.

It was talked about in another thread and I know this thread is headed a bit off course, but the more projects that hit KS, the more backers will have to choose where to spend their cash. I know there are many who just jump on everything, but I would venture there are more backers like me who have only so much cash to work with.

I wish them all luck, and as mentioned earlier............if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It was talked about in another thread and I know this thread is headed a bit off course, but the more projects that hit KS, the more backers will have to choose where to spend their cash. I know there are many who just jump on everything, but I would venture there are more backers like me who have only so much cash to work with.

But you're leaving out an important part of that equation - the growth of people backing projects of any kind on Kickstarter.  The potential audience for any given project grows practically exponentially.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

But you're leaving out an important part of that equation - the growth of people backing projects of any kind on Kickstarter.  The potential audience for any given project grows practically exponentially.

That is an interesting point, Don.

Compared to when custom decks first started popping up on Kickstarter, there were way less Kickstarter backers around then. The amount of people on Kickstarter now has grown so even if it's just one or two decks these new backers go in for, that adds up really fast. But I do think there will be a saturation point where people will see so much and start to become extremely picky especially for bang for buck if things are just too similar and the same.

Sorry for the off topic.

I wish them luck though they obviously don't need it.