You are Here:
Hello all

Author (Read 1232 times)

Hello all
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Greetings all.  My name is Daniel Wilson, and I live in the sleepy little city of Greenville, Michigan.  I'm mainly a collector, though I do have a scholarly interest in magic and magicians.  (I grew up near the American Museum of Magic in Marshall, and once received an attic-to-basement personal tour from original founder Elaine Lund before her passing.)

I first got interested in playing cards thanks to the game shows "Card Sharks" and "Las Vegas Gambit", both of which featured decks of oversized playing cards.  My actual collection started when I was four, after a very mean girl in kindergarten refused to allow me to play with her cards at recess.  Later that week my mother gifted me with two double-deck sets of Hallmark Peanuts playing cards of my very own.  In adolescence, my collection grew through souvenir decks from family trips to various tourist destinations.  My family would also spend at least two weeks each summer in our travel trailer at a nearby campground.  Some of my fondest memories during that time are playing cards with my family (and with the family of the girl who eventually became my wife as well).

Now that I'm older and have access to the Internet and a little bit of disposable income, I can finally start tracking down some of those interesting decks I've only seen in books.  I find myself drawn mostly to decks with non-standard court cards, particularly the art nouveau and art deco cards around the 1930s when there was a lot of experimentation in design (the Hycrest Modern Royalty I bought in the 52+J auction last year is one of my favorite examples.)  Of course, like any hunter, the thrill of the chase is as exhilarating as the acquisition, and there will always be one more deck to collect...

I've been a member of 52 Plus Joker for nearly a year now, and came to the forums through them.  I hope to share what little knowledge I can, but intend to spend more time quietly learning from those who have more expertise than I.

Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:55:19 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Daniel, always room for another collector! Hope you enjoy your stay and if you have questions, please ask.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I find myself drawn mostly to decks with non-standard court cards, particularly the art nouveau and art deco cards around the 1930s when there was a lot of experimentation in design (the Hycrest Modern Royalty I bought in the 52+J auction last year is one of my favorite examples.)  Of course, like any hunter, the thrill of the chase is as exhilarating as the acquisition, and there will always be one more deck to collect...

I've been a member of 52 Plus Joker for nearly a year now, and came to the forums through them.  I hope to share what little knowledge I can, but intend to spend more time quietly learning from those who have more expertise than I.

Hi Daniel - Welcome and we hope you'll find lots to read and comment on here.
Hycrest is a great deck and Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods produced some beautiful decks. Hope you'll find something in this year's auction! Why don't you post a few scans from Hycrest for all to see?
Tom
PS - I will register you in as a 52+J member so you can see and access the special 52+J board we have in Discourse.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:48:56 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
Welcome Daniel!
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:42:01 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
And welcome to you, both as a member of Discourse and of "52".  Hope you will continue to use this forum and to plan to bid in our auction - some great decks there. I agree with you about the hunt and good luck, those deco decks are fabulous and among our favs as well.
Judy Dawson

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Hi Daniel - Welcome and we hope you'll find lots to read and comment on here.
Hycrest is a great deck and Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods produced some beautiful decks. Hope you'll find something in this year's auction! Why don't you post a few scans from Hycrest for all to see?
Tom

Certainly.  Hycrest pictures now posted over in the Cellar of Fine Vintages.

And welcome to you, both as a member of Discourse and of "52".  Hope you will continue to use this forum and to plan to bid in our auction - some great decks there. I agree with you about the hunt and good luck, those deco decks are fabulous and among our favs as well.

Thanks for the welcome.
I certainly have my eye on a couple of offerings in this year's auction...

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Welcome Daniel! This is a great place to share and learn. Hope to see you around.

James
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I urge all who read this to look at the Hycrest pix in the Cellar. They are spectacular.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Daniel, welcome aboard.  Sounds like you've been into the vintage decks for a little while now - if you love custom courts, you should look into the Playing Card Plethora for some of the best examples of modern custom-designed decks.  Some of the artwork will knock your socks off, to be sure!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/