badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:10:24 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Plugged Nickel Playing cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
The art is good,  but I'm just not feeling this one. 

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »

YoYoSpin

• Newcomer
Talented artists but misguided subject matter IMHO.
best regards,
Ed D.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »

vixentorgames

Yoyo, I am not sure what you mean by misguided subject matter, but the 'talented artist' part makes me smile, so thank you.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Should these 2 topics be merged?

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/bicycle-plugged-nickel-set-wanted-poster-and-the-rusted-tin/

Yoyo, I am not sure what you mean by misguided subject matter, but the 'talented artist' part makes me smile, so thank you.

This comment made me smile even more.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »

YoYoSpin

• Newcomer

Misguided = card images that would scare children and small animals  ;D
best regards,
Ed D.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:16:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I believe he's referring to the discussion that took place on the Design/Dev topic for this deck.  Many people like the execution more than the elements being created in the design - most specifically, the barbed wire was not well received, if you recall.  Some are also a bit weary of seeing skulls and bones in custom decks, there's been so many.

It's not impossible that you're creating the Edsel or the Tucker of custom deck design - something that was beautiful but misunderstood by the market.  Since we all know what happened to the Edsel, you might want to look it over a little more and consider some of the criticisms that were offered.  Of course, you can always just stick to your guns and go for it; after all, who are we but a tiny fraction of the overall marketplace, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:16:24 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Purpleice.  I knew I had seen these pics before and even did a search before I posted but the thread never came up.  Weird

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

vixentorgames

I believe he's referring to the discussion that took place on the Design/Dev topic for this deck.  Many people like the execution more than the elements being created in the design - most specifically, the barbed wire was not well received, if you recall.  Some are also a bit weary of seeing skulls and bones in custom decks, there's been so many.

It's not impossible that you're creating the Edsel or the Tucker of custom deck design - something that was beautiful but misunderstood by the market.  Since we all know what happened to the Edsel, you might want to look it over a little more and consider some of the criticisms that were offered.  Of course, you can always just stick to your guns and go for it; after all, who are we but a tiny fraction of the overall marketplace, right?

Don, I don't think you guys are a tiny fraction at all. I'm not trying to cater to any one market - heck, I'm not trying to cater to anyone at all. I know the barbed wire was not a big hit over here. If I had known about this place when I was designing the cards, they probably would have come out differently. By the time the deck was posted here, all the art was done. Plus I love barbed wire. I have barbed wire tattoos. They are bitchin.

I also have seen, from the short time that I've been here, that the audience at The Discourse prefers decks with a more traditional look, something that more closely resembles old-school cards. I came at the entire design from a completely different direction - I grew up on D&D and Thundercats, and so my personal taste in art is heavily influenced by Larry Elmore and Frank Frazetta and Brom, art where there's no such thing as too far over the top. I love the new dragon deck from Albino Dragon - the skull on the back, the lightning bolts, the painted dragons on the cards - and they're not going over really well, either here or at UC.

I do realize that hardcore collectors are going to be less interested in my cards because of the skulls and barbed wire. I kind of regret that, but at the same time, I also know that my personal taste is more Judge Dredd than Downton Abbey. Nothing against a traditional, more refined look at all. I just like skulls and barbed wire.

Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't really bothering me - I really was smiling at the 'talented artist' bit. I have a myopic tendency to only absorb the parts where people are saying nice things to me. It's how I make sure to never learn anything.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »

vixentorgames

Misguided = card images that would scare children and small animals  ;D
In that case, AWESOME.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 01:44:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Purpleice.  I knew I had seen these pics before and even did a search before I posted but the thread never came up.  Weird

The search function gets a bit fidgety - if searching while on a board topic page, you'll only get results in that board.  I think the same holds true with searching while within a topic, though occasionally I'll get results of only posts I wrote containing the search terms.  Best results come from searching while on the board's home page.

Don, I don't think you guys are a tiny fraction at all. I'm not trying to cater to any one market - heck, I'm not trying to cater to anyone at all. I know the barbed wire was not a big hit over here. If I had known about this place when I was designing the cards, they probably would have come out differently. By the time the deck was posted here, all the art was done. Plus I love barbed wire. I have barbed wire tattoos. They are bitchin.

I also have seen, from the short time that I've been here, that the audience at The Discourse prefers decks with a more traditional look, something that more closely resembles old-school cards. I came at the entire design from a completely different direction - I grew up on D&D and Thundercats, and so my personal taste in art is heavily influenced by Larry Elmore and Frank Frazetta and Brom, art where there's no such thing as too far over the top. I love the new dragon deck from Albino Dragon - the skull on the back, the lightning bolts, the painted dragons on the cards - and they're not going over really well, either here or at UC.

I do realize that hardcore collectors are going to be less interested in my cards because of the skulls and barbed wire. I kind of regret that, but at the same time, I also know that my personal taste is more Judge Dredd than Downton Abbey. Nothing against a traditional, more refined look at all. I just like skulls and barbed wire.

Thanks for clearing that up. It wasn't really bothering me - I really was smiling at the 'talented artist' bit. I have a myopic tendency to only absorb the parts where people are saying nice things to me. It's how I make sure to never learn anything.

By marketplace, I'm referring to all possible customers - THAT is the market EVERYONE caters to, to some degree or another!  For playing cards as a whole, collectors such as us really do only represent a fraction of the market of people who buy playing cards, and many of those others could care less about the things we're interested in here.

It's hard to generalize that people here like or dislike any one thing, really.  Some people love skulls and/or barbed wire, some don't.  You're only hearing from the people motivated enough to bother putting fingers to keys and giving their opinions.  Seriously, if something in your design is something you want there, something that serves a purpose to you, then tell us to go to blazes and go full steam ahead.  It's not like there were some serious violations of the rules of design taking place here, and even if there were, you can break such laws, as long as you're doing so for a reason and not for the hell of it or because you didn't know any better.

I can see only one thing that would be of any concern strictly from a design perspective, and specifically the design of playing cards rather than art or anything else.  It's actually quite minor.  On your indices, you have big, thick bold suit pips.  Your value characters (letters and numbers) aren't as bold.  Make those pips just a TINY bit smaller and beef up the thickness of the lines in the values and you're good.  Indices are one place you don't want to break rules too hard if you want your deck to remain functional.

A standard index has the design it has because it's quickly and easily understood - a Texas Hold 'Em player can peek for under a second and know his hand, without confusion.  Suit pips are usually about half as tall as the value characters, and the pips and characters are usually of a uniform width, even the two-digit value of "10".  It's why the zero is so narrow and oval and the one is usually presented without any serifs.  That's for keeping from revealing anything about your hand - if the "10" was twice as wide as the "2" or any other value, one could simply look at the players spreading their hands a little wider at points to know how many tens they were holding.  This logic was also the reasoning behind the invention of double-headed court cards - with the older decks that had full-length court images, if you flipped a card over when it was in your hand, you just gave away the fact that you're holding royalty!

Anyway, getting off my tangent...  You don't necessarily need to make the indices larger - cards used to have smaller indices, and in some instances they can actually be advantageous, if somewhat harder to read.  But you should make the values more bold in appearance and the pips just a little smaller and less bold - but only a little!  Anything else I'd say beyond that would be discussing style preferences, not design rules.  Of course, people do make their decks' indices in all kinds of ways - the designer/artist may have other things in mind.  But following these rules makes it clear that you understand what the important elements of a playing card are and how to present them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:46:26 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »

vixentorgames

That is some useful feedback, Don. I will revisit the corner pips. Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
+1 on Don's suggestions about design elements.  Better cards are designed that way not because we like doilies and Downton Abbey, but because we want to actually *play* with the cards, or flourish them, or work with them in some way that *our* friends (or audiences) expect playing cards to work.  If you fan the cards, you should be able to see the suits and indices.  If you put a card on the table, you should be able to figure out what it is without having to pick it up and look at it.  (Not that your deck fails in that regard ... I'm flying on the wings of this tangent for a moment.)

OK, backing away from the tangent ... I'm OK with barbed wire (although I know others aren't).  *My* problem with the subject matter was yet another foray into skulls and the undead.  So I get the twist that makes it unique, in a Cowboys and Aliens kind of makes you laugh at the movie title way.  But I'm tired of it, not feeling it.

Downton Abbey???  Really?  Ouch.

I have my share of fantasy-based cards in my collection, and even what I would think of as punk.  The obligatory pirates, scifi, Jacksons, hippies and steampunks to go WITH the florals and art deco.  But the one theme that runs through 'em all is beautiful deisgnwork.  Which brings me to ...

Frazetta!?? You bring up Frazetta to trash Downton Abbey?  Frank Frazetta's uber-classic techniques were the stuff of legend, infusing the sweeps and arcs of art deco and Downton's flapper era with the subject matter of fantasy and science fiction. Oh man, I'm off on a tangent again, recalling the classic works of Roy Krenkel and J. Allen St. John.  Done with the same style and grace as Maxfield Parrish and N.C. Wyeth.  Later carried on by folks like Jeffrey Jones.

I have a deck with a Maxfield Parrish back, and even though it's all standard faces on the inside, it's one of my favorite decks.  I would *love* a deck designed with the same sense of balance and wonder that Frazetta (and Krenkel and Jones) brought to every comic and book illustration.  Wow.

Even when you update the subject matter, the work of great artists shines through.  While the classic sci-fi authors were being interpreted in the 40s and 50s by the folks I'm mooning over right now, today's graphic novels represent yet another gorgeous art form for today's reboot of hardboiled film noir storylands.  Frank Miller, Bernie Wrightson and dare I say it, Judge Dredd's own Carlos Ezquerra ... the list spans the imagination.  Inspiring in the truest sense of the word--you find yourself compelled to join them in the places they create.  All.  Gorgeous.

But I digress.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:59:16 PM by GBAllison »

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »

vixentorgames

I completely apologize if the 'Downton Abbey' reference came across as an insult. Downton Abbey is a lush, beautiful show with incredible visuals and a classic sensibility. It just doesn't have a sword-wielding warrior riding a bear. My comparison was meant more to say that my preferences are, I don't know, nerdier. More like a dorky kid sitting in the basement surrounded by Iron Maiden posters, listening to AC/DC and reading Deadpool comics.

This will be the first deck I own with skulls on it. I started buying specialty decks after Calaveras was over, and I never did get into any of the zombie decks. I honestly didn't realize there was a thing where people were tired of skulls. I just thought they looked cool.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I completely apologize if the 'Downton Abbey' reference came across as an insult. Downton Abbey is a lush, beautiful show with incredible visuals and a classic sensibility. It just doesn't have a sword-wielding warrior riding a bear. My comparison was meant more to say that my preferences are, I don't know, nerdier. More like a dorky kid sitting in the basement surrounded by Iron Maiden posters, listening to AC/DC and reading Deadpool comics.

This will be the first deck I own with skulls on it. I started buying specialty decks after Calaveras was over, and I never did get into any of the zombie decks. I honestly didn't realize there was a thing where people were tired of skulls. I just thought they looked cool.

A few quick searches would have turned up a lot of decks of a similar nature.  I did only one to discover what I did, and that on the USPC company website, among only their own merchandise.

I think what's more important here is not that it's "another skull/zombie/whatever deck" but that, being one of a crowded pack, it needs to excel among its peers in as many ways as possible.  This deck has a way to go yet to reach that height.  Not saying it's bad - because honestly, it isn't bad at all - it's just not head-and-shoulders above the rest.

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 11:25:44 PM »

PRM19XX

I agree, someone could come along and do another zombie/steampunk/cthulhu deck, but they would have to be better than the other decks that came before to really get noticed. If you look at the decks that fall under those categories on KS, they seem to be finding it harder to get funding than decks that came out a year or two ago.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
the redesign (relaunch) goes live June 1st - keep in touch here: http://prefundia.com/projects/view/plugged-nickel-playing-cards/1409/
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
the redesign (relaunch) goes live June 1st - keep in touch here: http://prefundia.com/projects/view/plugged-nickel-playing-cards/1409/

You'd better run that nickel design by the Treasury Department first - if you create a coin that's too close in design to a real coin (and it doesn't need to be all that close), you could find yourself in a lot of legal trouble.  My father had a visit from a few Secret Service agents about 35 years ago when he created an advertisement that was loosely based on a hundred-dollar bill.

BTW: why Prefundia?  Never heard of them before.  You're going to have to work ten times harder to promote your project than you would if using Kickstarter.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 11:56:37 PM »

Hat Trick

• Newcomer

BTW: why Prefundia?  Never heard of them before.  You're going to have to work ten times harder to promote your project than you would if using Kickstarter.
Seems like Prefundia is just a site to advertise projects soon to be launching on Kickstarter

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:51 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Seems like Prefundia is just a site to advertise projects soon to be launching on Kickstarter

Yep, it works with Kickstarter and a handful of other similar sites. Makes it easier to keep track of projects when you can get an e-mail the minute it launches, hopefully more Kickstarter creators start using it for their deck launches.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »

vixentorgames

As Magic Orthodoxy has pointed out, we're going live Sunday, June 1, at 1PM CST. As he also pointed out, you can be notified when the project goes live if you sign up at the Prefundia page:

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/plug ... cards/1409

We are definitely going with USPCC for this attempt.

Thanks again for everyone who helped make this redesign work so well.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As Magic Orthodoxy has pointed out, we're going live Sunday, June 1, at 1PM CST. As he also pointed out, you can be notified when the project goes live if you sign up at the Prefundia page:

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/plug ... cards/1409

We are definitely going with USPCC for this attempt.

Thanks again for everyone who helped make this redesign work so well.

Central Standard Time won't occur until the first Sunday in November!  You're on CDT, Central Daylight Time.  (Trivia: in the US we now spend more of the calendar year on Daylight Time than we do on Standard Time, making Daylight Time the new standard, in a backwards way!)

You need to fix your link - the middle of it is missing.  Try using (url=http-web-address-here)Words words words(/url) to display your link.  Change the () into [] and that's the BBCode for embedding a link.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don't get me wrong, I think Matt is a nice guy.  But that budget seems awfully restrictive considering he's making two deck designs, each totally different in that they require separate sets of plates,dice, a special collector's box and a minted coin.  He also comments that an uncut sheet is CHEAPER than a deck - I've never known that to be the case with USPC.

I like the design and don't want to see it fail.