You are Here:
MultiWolves Deck (well kind of) - (KS)

Author (Read 1720 times)

MultiWolves Deck (well kind of) - (KS)
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: MultiWolves Deck (well kind of) - (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
If nothing else I now know a werewolf wakes at night and with other wolves chooses someone to kill.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Bad dog!
I'm getting the spray bottle.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:25:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
"Multiwolves - Not just another werewolf deck"

Yeah, "Multiwolves - Not just another slap-dash KS deck project..."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Lycanthrope sounds better, hope someone makes an awesome deck with that title. Anyway, pass on these . Confused as to why there's 5 Ace of Hearts.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I am amazed that people launch card decks like this. Simply amazed.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
At first glance,  it looks like the creator just Googled for werewolf pictures and slapped those on to a deck.  On  the page it says these are all original artwork,  and the artwork isn't bad. It's just the way they're presented on the cards that makes it seem like the creator just copied and pasted stock photos into a deck. It doesn't help that the back grounds for each card are all different so the deck doesn't seem consistent.  Then again, the examples are all ace of hearts so I'm not sure if the creator intends to use more than one background or if he's settling with one... 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:29:17 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You may find this hard to believe, but I've actually seen worse.  It's hard to make something worse, but it's been done.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

You may find this hard to believe, but I've actually seen worse.  It's hard to make something worse, but it's been done.

I seriously doubt  there is a deck idea worse than Multi.... opps never mind.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1144141862/cruisin-cards
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:23:18 PM by DarkDerp »

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I seriously doubt  there is a deck idea worse than Multi.... opps never mind.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1144141862/cruisin-cards

And even THAT is not the worst I've ever seen...

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Um... well... it's... a card deck?

I'm struggling to come up with a reason as to why someone would make these.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »

snowrs

• Newcomer
Werewolf is a party game with specific rules. I think he is just slapping them on a standard playing card deck so you have two games in one. That being said this is really slapped together and I will not pledge, but this could have some legs in the board game / party game community
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:55:55 PM by snowrs »

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Werewolf is a party game with specific rules. I think he is just slapping them on a standard playing card deck so you have two games in one. That being said this is really slapped together and I will not pledge, but this could have some legs in the board game / party game community

Rule one of Werewolf party game is you don't talk about werewolf party game.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 03:09:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Really, really SHORT legs...  Let's face it - these are neither attractive nor well-designed playing cards.

Welcome out of the ranks of the lurkers!  Stop by the "Introduce Yourself" topic when you have a chance so we can give you a proper welcome.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

iMartyn

• Newcomer
Hello All,

I'm so glad someone pointed me to the feedback here, would have been a shame to miss it.

Yes, I'm the person who kickstarted the project and yes, this post will seem defensive, I'd hope you can understand why.

I've added a few FAQs to the project based on some more constructive feedback I've had, so feel free to read them.

I'll answer the few useful points here directly though :

Confused as to why there's 5 Ace of Hearts.
That image is a selection of concepts that I'm throwing around - there will obviously only be one of each card in the deck and they will all be a consistent design.

Yes, it's a card deck, it's also a deck for playing Werewolves with - Werewolves is a party game that can just about be played with a deck of cards although there are other decks out there, the most common being "The werewolves of millers hollow", which uses abstract artwork, leading to confusion.

I think he is just slapping them on a standard playing card deck so you have two games in one.
It's more than two games, but yes, in effect, I am merging the cards for the few different werewolf games we play (Double, Godless, Thing etc.) into a normal playing card deck.

Thanks to the OP who posted the link - I was not aware of this forum, and to those who have inspired me to add more detail to the FAQs.

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 01:27:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello All,

I'm so glad someone pointed me to the feedback here, would have been a shame to miss it.

Yes, I'm the person who kickstarted the project and yes, this post will seem defensive, I'd hope you can understand why.

I've added a few FAQs to the project based on some more constructive feedback I've had, so feel free to read them.

I'll answer the few useful points here directly though :

Confused as to why there's 5 Ace of Hearts.
That image is a selection of concepts that I'm throwing around - there will obviously only be one of each card in the deck and they will all be a consistent design.

Yes, it's a card deck, it's also a deck for playing Werewolves with - Werewolves is a party game that can just about be played with a deck of cards although there are other decks out there, the most common being "The werewolves of millers hollow", which uses abstract artwork, leading to confusion.

I think he is just slapping them on a standard playing card deck so you have two games in one.
It's more than two games, but yes, in effect, I am merging the cards for the few different werewolf games we play (Double, Godless, Thing etc.) into a normal playing card deck.

Thanks to the OP who posted the link - I was not aware of this forum, and to those who have inspired me to add more detail to the FAQs.

Hello, Martyn.  It's fine to be a little defensive, but know that it's never a personal attack.  We're just passionate playing card collectors.

I think one of the things that's making this product a difficult sell is that, until I saw this deck, I had no idea that there was a card game called "Werewolf".  I've never heard anyone mention it to me, never saw anyone playing it, etc.  Is it possible it's more of a UK or EU sort of thing?

In regards to the five Aces of Hearts - it sounds like you're really not settled on what design style you want to choose for this deck.  This is not good - it gives potential backers the feeling that you haven't really thought it all out just yet.  Better to settle on a single design and stick to it than to seem indecisive at this stage of the game.

Unless all Werewolf players are left-handed, you might want to either reverse the index corners or make four indices on each card, as well as using the more standard vertical index style.  Think your design over carefully, in order to make it as fully functional as possible.  In fact, you could even consider removing the playing card elements of your design altogether and making it a customized Werewolf deck all by itself.

Will your deck appeal to the people here on this board?  Maybe a few, but most will pass.  The design of the cards is simple to the point that you could have made it using Microsoft Word.  We're used to seeing decks that are works of art and things of beauty.  Gorgeous back designs, well-thought out faces, perhaps some extra cards that appeal to magicians, etc.

Will any of that matter in terms of the success of your deck?  Not one flying fig, it won't.

The point I'm getting at is that your audience is much more an audience of gamers, especially the kinds of people who love fun games with a short-enough learning curve but with enough challenge to keep them interesting.  For an audience like that, you can make this deck with pencils and crayons, as long as it gets the job done - they're all about the function, not so much about the fashion other than having cool-looking art on the card fronts.  Card collectors like us will have less interest in such a deck, unless some among us also happen to like beer-and-pretzel games.

So go find boards where gamers congregate - if you need help finding them, we have a game designer here that might be willing to help if you ask nicely, Luke Peterschmidt.  He should sound familiar - he helped design many board and card games, among the most prominent being Legend of the Five Rings.  We know him here as Lukeout.
 This page from Wikipedia gives a listing of all the articles mentioning his name, most of which are about games he's developed.  He knows the natural habitat, migration patterns, mating rituals, etc. of your typical flock of gamers and can help point you in the right direction if you're looking for them (which you SHOULD be)!

Best of luck to you.