You are Here:
Shipping playing cards internationally

Author (Read 1612 times)

Shipping playing cards internationally
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Hello this is my first post and topic.

Does anyone have any advice shipping playing cards internationally? I'd like to start offering it on my ebay listings but I've held off so long because I really don't have any experience and am not aware of all the pitfalls one can fall into. I'd probably start by allowing people from Canada, UK, and Australia purchase my cards (all english speakers). I'm based in the USA and would be using USPS as my service of choice.

Anyone have any tips/tricks?

Re: Shipping playing cards internationally
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello this is my first post and topic.

Does anyone have any advice shipping playing cards internationally? I'd like to start offering it on my ebay listings but I've held off so long because I really don't have any experience and am not aware of all the pitfalls one can fall into. I'd probably start by allowing people from Canada, UK, and Australia purchase my cards (all english speakers). I'm based in the USA and would be using USPS as my service of choice.

Anyone have any tips/tricks?

I'm more of a buyer than seller.

I will say welcome to the Discourse, and I encourage you to create a new topic in the "Introduce Yourself" board so we may better make you feel at home!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Ebay has a Global Shipping Center. Sounds like your items would be eligible for it. Here.. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#eligibility
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Thanks. I've looked into that and other forums say they've had trouble with ebay global shipping charging way too many fees to overseas buyers, more than normal. I may go try their service anyway and see what happens. Thanks

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Thanks. I've looked into that and other forums say they've had trouble with ebay global shipping charging way too many fees to overseas buyers, more than normal. I may go try their service anyway and see what happens. Thanks

That's absolutely right: the global shiping is more expensive than paying shipping and custom taxes.

And there is another problem: once you choose the global shipping program, even if the buyer asks you to disable it, you can't do it. It happened to me as a buyer and the seller tried to disble it and he couldn't.

My tip, as a buyer from Portugal, is to announce on the product description that the buyer assumes all responsabilities with customs fees. And never, ever, send anything without tracking number for your own protection.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
For those who are familiar with US postal service, and based on the info i've received, I'm guessing Priority mail international is the best service to provide. Slightly more expensive, but comes with tracking and some insurance. I'm guessing since playing cards weigh like a few ounces, the prices should not be prohibitively high.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I avoid the global shipping program because of the pre-charged custom fees. I'm not sure if they're accurate charges but I know that I have a chance to pay less than what ebay asks for.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member

I have placed some ebay listings up offering First Class International Shipping, which is the cheapest international option offered by the USPS but it does come with delivery confirmation to a bunch of countries. Currently I've expanded shipping to Canada, Great Britain and Australia, with more countries to come if there aren't major problems.

Thanks for the responses.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
For those who are familiar with US postal service, and based on the info i've received, I'm guessing Priority mail international is the best service to provide. Slightly more expensive, but comes with tracking and some insurance. I'm guessing since playing cards weigh like a few ounces, the prices should not be prohibitively high.

The average weight of a 56-card deck is 3.3 ounces.  I usually factor it as 5 ounces to account for weight of packing materials.  The Flat Rate packaging is a good way to go - I often use the padded envelope, but you need to add more padding if you want the goods to arrive intact.  Others prefer the ever-so-slightly more expensive small box.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

The average weight of a 56-card deck is 3.3 ounces.  I usually factor it as 5 ounces to account for weight of packing materials.  The Flat Rate packaging is a good way to go - I often use the padded envelope, but you need to add more padding if you want the goods to arrive intact.  Others prefer the ever-so-slightly more expensive small box.

As a Canadian, I'd say the flat rate boxes are really good. The medium is the best bang for buck, shipping wise, but first class international mail to Canada is fairly decent, too. It provides alright tracking as the US and Canadian postal systems have established decent ties to each other. One the item is in Canada Post's hand, it's tracked and has delivery confirmation. As for customs, I've honestly never had an issue with it. Most playing card orders, I've gotten by through customs listing the retail value and content as playing card, without additional fee.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:17:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

As a Canadian, I'd say the flat rate boxes are really good. The medium is the best bang for buck, shipping wise, but first class international mail to Canada is fairly decent, too. It provides alright tracking as the US and Canadian postal systems have established decent ties to each other. One the item is in Canada Post's hand, it's tracked and has delivery confirmation. As for customs, I've honestly never had an issue with it. Most playing card orders, I've gotten by through customs listing the retail value and content as playing card, without additional fee.

I'm thinking they only sweat about Customs when you're importing a large amount of playing cards - something more than would be considered by most for personal use.  Hardcore poker players could easily go through a brick or more in a month depending on how often they play and how many tables.