You are Here:
Giving a grade to the club 808 decks released in the first year.

Author (Read 893 times)

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I joined up with Club 808 last year and was excited about the exclusive decks that would be coming throughout the year. Overall I liked the site, the interviews and such; but was left wanting more in terms of actual deck releases. I did not like how every other month dragged on with a single deck release by first releasing uncut sheets and other merchandise instead. My feeling on the decks were up and down. I absolutely loved the Cigar deck with its custom court cards and design while I loathed the Espionage deck which also had custom court cards. I guess some things worked for me and some did not. I am unsure if I will sign on or another year but we shall see. That being said, I would give a grade on the overall total decks released a C+.
Josh Blackmon

Re: Giving a grade to the club 808 decks released in the first year.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I have to agree that I was disappointed with the lack of regular updates.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm 50/50 on it at the moment. I joined late in the year and while I like the information and extra features, I do agree they aren't showing up as often as I would like. It's almost like an afterthought, "Oh ya, we need to add something to Club 808"

As for the decks, I retain my 50/50 stance. While it's nice to get the savings compared to what you find these decks for on ebay or retail. I was a little disappointed that not all the decks were completely custom. Or at least had custom courts, Ace and Jokers. I really wanted the Griffin deck, beautiful design and color, but a completely standard deck outside of the tuck and back..........I may still get one, but not as pumped about it as I was in the beginning.

I do have a question, since I joined later I was wondering, are these the only decks that were produced this past year?
Espionage
Amber Stag
Speakeasy
Cigar
Griffin

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I'm 50/50 on it at the moment. I joined late in the year and while I like the information and extra features, I do agree they aren't showing up as often as I would like. It's almost like an afterthought, "Oh ya, we need to add something to Club 808"

As for the decks, I retain my 50/50 stance. While it's nice to get the savings compared to what you find these decks for on ebay or retail. I was a little disappointed that not all the decks were completely custom. Or at least had custom courts, Ace and Jokers. I really wanted the Griffin deck, beautiful design and color, but a completely standard deck outside of the tuck and back..........I may still get one, but not as pumped about it as I was in the beginning.

I do have a question, since I joined later I was wondering, are these the only decks that were produced this past year?
Espionage
Amber Stag
Speakeasy
Cigar
Griffin

Along with the decks you mentioned, they also released an 808 themed deck. That makes six total for the year. I think you bring up a good point in saying club 808 had the feeling of being an afterthought. Imagine if six decks were released with each deck completely customized with painstaking detail. That was more what I initially expected when I bought in to the club last year. Hopefully they step up to the plate in the future.

I read an interesting article a while back that i think applies to club 808. The article was talking about Google+ in comparison to Facebook and how it would not reach much higher success with its current implementation. The article went on to suggest that Google+ should roll out their systems with a certain level of exclusivity much like facebook and even gmail did in the early days; then if their content and offerings were good, people would stick around and even bring others in. This is where it overlaps club 808. It is instinctual to want something exclusive; to belong to a special club with special benefits. That is where 808 initially succeeds. But once inside, there needs to be something substantial about membership that makes me want to stick around. Maybe an extremely limited, elaborate deck of which I could only obtain one through my membership but was also not expensive would do the trick. Maybe bring in some respected artists from outside the community to design one off decks. Thinking outside the box a little more.  If I were not part of the club this year I could still have gotten the decks by paying a few bucks more on eBay, but I don't think I would have. So what is the draw?
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
With my one year subscription I got the "play more cards" box and the Club 808 deck - then I ordered

Griffin
Amber Stag
Cigar
and Espionage

I didn't like Speakeasy - so my sub expires soon - Im going to wait before I renew. Maybe I'll renew if I see something I like
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:39:40 PM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Maybe, just maybe more awesome stuff will be coming in the near future now that Jackson Robinson is signed with them.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:40 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I think Club 808 is mediocre at best, and worst for international members as i remember they had contests but mostly opened up to people within the US. They had giveaways on FB only opened to US. It makes not much difference on decks as we still had to pay international shipping. Articles? Meh...could always read better stuff for free out there in the internet. Other collectibles? Uncut sheets? Not really that special a design or deck that i would sign up a membership just to get one.

Seriously, if nothing else comes up on the remainder of my Club 808 membership, i definitely won't be renewing. The membership is not expensive by any means when compared to D&D or E's Black Club, but just ain't getting much out of it either.