You are Here:
Playing With a Full Deck (Indiegogo)

Author (Read 824 times)

Playing With a Full Deck (Indiegogo)
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Another collaboration of 52 artists. Sorry Don.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/playing-with-a-full-deck

one-way card back :(

It's $35 for a deck if you order/pledge from now until January 17. After that it's $50 for a deck. It's really expensive but I think it's more about the art than being cards which is why they emphasize it being "pocket sized art".

Re: Playing With a Full Deck (Indiegogo)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Why what lovely pocket art. Pass.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:13:22 AM by HandSkillz »
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

splice42

• True Member
Look ma, we so artsy!

So what, I just want to play cards. Go draw somewhere else.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
My iPhone is full of "pocket art".

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Ya know, some of these decks wouldn't be all that bad if they got artists to contribute good work.  I have some friends that are amateur artists, and their work is pretty damn nice so I'd imagine it really can't be that hard to find people that are willing to contribute good imagery for a deck.  But instead, the project managers always seem to get the "artwork" submissions from the bin of the art class at an elementary school. 
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Guys, this is a different kind of deck project.

1 - It's all about the art, not the cards.  Think of it more like 54 pieces of art than a playable deck.
2 - Some of the art here is not at the professional level, but there's a reason for this, that reason being...
3 - ...that the project is being run to raise money for a non-profit arts council in an economically-depressed region of upstate New York.  It's why the project is on IndieGoGo rather than Kickstarter, as Kickstarter doesn't permit fundraisers for non-profits.

I'm not planning to buy a deck, but I am planning to offer them my consulting services free of charge should they decide to make another deck in the future.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
2 - Some of the art here is not at the professional level, but there's a reason for this, that reason being...
3 - ...that the project is being run to raise money for a non-profit arts council in an economically-depressed region of upstate New York.  It's why the project is on IndieGoGo rather than Kickstarter, as Kickstarter doesn't permit fundraisers for non-profits.

Ok...Granted it is for a good cause and it is for a non-profit organization. Some of the cards are ok. But don't you think some really do look like an initial sketch of a final product, some picked from a design office "rejected works" trash bin and some just plain....*sigh*

"Original works will be exhibited in the GCCA Catskill Gallery along with a limited edition deck of playing cards, designed by a star-studded list of 52 artists with Kiki Smith’s custom design for the card backs"

I'm pretty sure a "star-studded list" can put in a little more effort and do much better than that.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Ok...Granted it is for a good cause and it is for a non-profit organization. Some of the cards are ok. But don't you think some really do look like an initial sketch of a final product, some picked from a design office "rejected works" trash bin and some just plain....*sigh*

"Original works will be exhibited in the GCCA Catskill Gallery along with a limited edition deck of playing cards, designed by a star-studded list of 52 artists with Kiki Smith’s custom design for the card backs"

I'm pretty sure a "star-studded list" can put in a little more effort and do much better than that.

I dunno - have you seen what passes for a "star" these days?  :))

Kidding aside, it depends on your definition of star in this case.  I'm sure within their own community, some of these people are considered stars of some degree of brightness.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/