You are Here:
vintage vs modern tuck flaps

Author (Read 1413 times)

vintage vs modern tuck flaps
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
Never really cared for a reason but the elongated tuck flap on vintage decks is awesome.  Is there a purpose for them changing it that anyone knows of?  If so with all the appreciation for vintage cards I'm surprised nobody has brought that back with some of the new decks....

Re: vintage vs modern tuck flaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:36:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Never really cared for a reason but the elongated tuck flap on vintage decks is awesome.  Is there a purpose for them changing it that anyone knows of?  If so with all the appreciation for vintage cards I'm surprised nobody has brought that back with some of the new decks....

I honestly don't know.  It could be as simple as less paper wasted.  In addition, anything you can shave off of a package means a substantial savings in shipping.  For instance, say that the part cut off weighs a gram.  That's 144 fewer grams per gross, or a little more than five ounces less when calculating postage costs.  Multiply those ounces by the number of bricks packed into a truck and it starts adding up fast.

Water bottlers got into this "big time" recently, shaving tiny amounts off the the height of a cap or the thickness of the plastic of the bottle itself.  Less plastic wasted, lowered fuel consumption for the trucks and planes shipping them from factory to store.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I will answer with a story.

I had a buddy who was a "Graphic Designer" for Hasbro toys. He simply changed the size of the toy package by 3/4 inch on all sides. Because of this incredible artistic design decision he saved Hasbro 7 million dollars of cardboard production cost. He received an award for this design decision.

The flap decisions are about cutting cost, and sadly you won't see any sweet vintage flaps from USPC any time soon.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
If so with all the appreciation for vintage cards I'm surprised nobody has brought that back with some of the new decks....

My 605s have the vintage tuck flap you speak of (both editions).

#VintageAppreciation
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:26:19 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
If so with all the appreciation for vintage cards I'm surprised nobody has brought that back with some of the new decks....

#VintageAppreciation

Wow I did forget about that Lee.  I personally love your cards.  After getting a mixed brick from you I opened one green deck.  I also gave one to a friend of mine.  I really appreciated the long tuck flap.  I use the living shit out of your cards.  But the box sadly didn't last as long.  I still have yet had to open another deck and its been about a year.  I highly recommend your cards to people.  I even tell them to buy a brick knowing that it will last them the rest of their lives. 

I use it as my practice deck almost every day, I leave it in the bathroom while I shower unboxed,  I throw them loose on the back seat of my car,  Ive done multiple card to mouths (thats why theres only 48 + jokers left), drop them on all sorts of crappy conditions,  took them on two cruise ships (and for those who don't know playing cards turn to mush of cruseships in a matter of minutes) bottom line is.. I just can't kill your cards!

Right on with the tuck flap!  And your card box quality is great, I just wish it lasted as long as the cards!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:46:29 PM by yoelanshel »

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:

#VintageAppreciation

Wow I did forget about that Lee.  I personally love your cards.  After getting a mixed brick from you I opened one green deck.  I also gave one to a friend of mine.  I really appreciated the long tuck flap.  I use the living shit out of your cards.  But the box sadly didn't last as long.  I still have yet had to open another deck and its been about a year.  I highly recommend your cards to people.  I even tell them to buy a brick knowing that it will last them the rest of their lives. 

I use it as my practice deck almost every day, I leave it in the bathroom while I shower unboxed,  I throw them loose on the back seat of my car,  Ive done multiple card to mouths (thats why theres only 48 + jokers left), drop them on all sorts of crappy conditions,  took them on two cruise ships (and for those who don't know playing cards turn to mush of cruseships in a matter of minutes) bottom line is.. I just can't kill your cards!

Right on with the tuck flap!  And your card box quality is great, I just wish it lasted as long as the cards!

Thank you for the kind words. Because they are so different than any other United States Playing Card Company product, I was nervous that everyone would be scared to try something new. However, like you, most everyone who to took a chance with these decks were pleasantly surprised.

The 605s are great cards, and only get better the more you use them. Glad to hear you're getting lots of mileage out of them.

I wish the box lasted as long as the deck, too!

BTW, do you know that you can wash your 605s if they get dirty?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:28:45 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I smell a business opportunity...  Fournier 605 tuck boxes made of plastic or some other nigh-indestructible material, meant to last a LOOOOONG time, just like the cards.  It's something you should look into.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I too really like the long tucks flap. It's a neat feature on my JNuggs. I know this probably sounds crazy, but those who have any deck with the long tuck flap will probably agree...it builds anticipation through the time it takes before you get to the cards. It really gives a feeling of classic elegance. I'd liove to see them back as well.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I too really like the long tucks flap. It's a neat feature on my JNuggs. I know this probably sounds crazy, but those who have any deck with the long tuck flap will probably agree...it builds anticipation through the time it takes before you get to the cards. It really gives a feeling of classic elegance.

Well said...

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »

yoel

• Forum Regular

Thank you for the kind words. Because they are so different than any other United States Playing Card Company product, I was nervous that everyone would be scared to try something new. However, like you, most everyone who to took a chance with these decks were pleasantly surprised.

The 605s are great cards, and only get better the more you use them. Glad to hear you're getting lots of mileage out of them.

BTW, do you know that you can wash your 605s if they get dirty?

Well the big thing is breaking them in properly.  I know you have detailed information and I used your methods mixed with a little of mine and they turned out pretty good.  Every once in a while I put them in the freezer or the fridge. I rarely keep them in a box.  I shower with them and let the moisture get to them.  Basically I do everything I would never do with any other deck of cards unless I intended to trash them. 

But to anyone who uses them I would recommended them checking out your site for the info.  I know that they can be washed but I've yet to feel it needs it.  They handle just how I want them to! 

You should make a commercial like this but place it at a children's magic show with an angry child off their medication goes berserk and smacks the cards out of your hand....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybRtvem6GAM