« on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
A new set of decks are coming soon to Kickstarter

A message from the creator

"the deck will be called Bicycle Certificate Playing cards, and there will be 2500 red and 2500 blue decks. There will also be a limited black edition"

CBJ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:46:01 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Bicycle Certificate Playing cards - Coming soon to KS
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Really interested to see more of this deck, liking what I see so far. An almost art deco styling with great color choice for the blue. Are the cards off white? almost a rose beige? Or is that just the lighting? I like it if it is intentional.

Not really a fan of the overly ornate spade, It has too much going on and seems to have multiple artistic styles mixed together that really clash for me. Also not liking the use of the suits around the border, the spades and diamonds should be something else.

Definitely going to keep my eye on this one.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
All I see is a design that looks like it was made as the poor man's version of Federal 52.  I'd need to see more to get anywhere near motivated to get this deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
All I see is a design that looks like it was made as the poor man's version of Federal 52.  I'd need to see more to get anywhere near motivated to get this deck.

I hate it for the designer, because I bet there are many who think the same. Even if the design was done prior to Fed52, Jackson has set the bar so high now that anything similar is going to fight for it's own spotlight.

Is it just me, or does the tuckbox appear to be aged and worn?

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

I hate it for the designer, because I bet there are many who think the same. Even if the design was done prior to Fed52, Jackson has set the bar so high now that anything similar is going to fight for it's own spotlight.

Is it just me, or does the tuckbox appear to be aged and worn?

That could be because it's just a mock-up. He could be using a weird paper that makes nasty creases like you see on the flap.

Re: Bicycle Diploma Playing cards - Coming soon to KS
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
A name change from Bicycle Certificate to Bicycle Diploma.. a color change...

And a KS preview

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eagleplayingcards/1149806840?token=932e4314

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
It's good they changed the name to try to avoid the comparison with the Fed 52. I still find the name strange though.
I do like they deck but that Ace of Spades kinda kills it. It doesn't look much like a spade. Maybe you could make it look sexier and less "ornate".

And I see they released the black deck first instead of the red and blue. I wonder what they're planning for the LE edition.
One more thing, the Jacks remind me of A Clockwork Orange because of the cane and the umbrella. :) Not that it's a bad thing. Just saying.  :D

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
I really like how the gold on the back design pops/contrasts with the blue.

As for comparing it with the fed 52s... there's no comparison there in my mind. I wouldn't think to put them in the same basket for comparison haha.

But yeah the preview page seems to have only the black one? Weirdly enough I usually like black but in this case I like the blue more :S.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Ooo! I REALLY like the black. MUCH better! I seem to be turning into a sucker for Black or dark colors/gold/gold foil. I just love that combination. I actually really like the ace as-is.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The back looks nice, but I've seen so many decks that "jury-rig" standard courts into custom ones...  Why not simply make custom courts?  Bicycle Black Tie is to me the best deck in that category, but that's because the designer went all out, keeping the court characters but totally redesigning their mode of dress and objects in hand, start to finish, so it doesn't look like pieces of clip art slapped on a standard court design.  I'm not saying one way or another that this was the case here, but if it looks like using clip art was the case to the potential backer, does it really make a difference if it really was or wasn't?

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:31:55 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sad to see them change the colors, the original color set was nice. Different and stood out. Now it's just another gold scroll on black design. I already ordered the Bicycle Gold deck.
Not appreciating the pips either, can't quite place my thumb on it, maybe they just don't feel like they mesh well with the rest of the deck design.

I was very interested in the original post, I'm not interested at all after looking at the KS teaser.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:33 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
The pips do remind me of a design by Elite Playing Cards and the royals with drinks reminds me of JAQK Cellars. I still pledged for one though.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:27:32 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Sad to see them change the colors, the original color set was nice. Different and stood out. Now it's just another gold scroll on black design. I already ordered the Bicycle Gold deck.
Not appreciating the pips either, can't quite place my thumb on it, maybe they just don't feel like they mesh well with the rest of the deck design.

I was very interested in the original post, I'm not interested at all after looking at the KS teaser.

I have to agree here. I find the colour change to black a bit boring. I was looking forward to the original deck because i find the colour combination much nicer.

I'm not saying that black and gold ain't nice, but there seems to be so many black and gold decks jumping on the band wagon now.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular

I have to agree here. I find the colour change to black a bit boring. I was looking forward to the original deck because i find the colour combination much nicer.

I'm not saying that black and gold ain't nice, but there seems to be so many black and gold decks jumping on the band wagon now.

You can add me to this bandwagon.  I liked the light blue / gold combo, not so much the black / gold one.  Doesn't have the same panache. 
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
First thing I thought when seeing this deck is that it's trying to capitalize on the success of the Fed 52s. That said, I do like the design and very well might end up pledging for one or two.

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

vmagic

This deck will be launching today on Kickstarter, about 4pm I believe.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
This deck will be launching today on Kickstarter, about 4pm I believe.

4pm which time zone?

:)
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »

vmagic

He didn't specify, he just said 10pm Danish time which is 4pm USA time, oh well. It will be launching within the next couple of hours for sure. I do believe he meant 4pm eastern time though.

Also he has everything with this project ready to go, he's got the art waiting on USPC approval, he's got fulfillment, he just needs funding. Which I must say is a refreshing thing to see on Kickstarter where many decks don't even have the artwork complete before starting or finishing a project. Things should go pretty smooth with this one.

Now live on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eagleplayingcards/diploma-bicycle-deck-of-luxury-playing-cards
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:07:13 PM by thecardcollector »

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
]He didn't specify, he just said 10pm Danish time which is 4pm USA time, oh well. It will be launching within the next couple of hours for sure. I do believe he meant 4pm eastern time though.

I don't know, Victor - 10pm in Denmark seems rather specific to me...  :))  And when did the US become a single time zone called "USA time"?  Last time I checked, the US covers six times zones, including the ones covering Alaska and Hawaii.

He's at about 10% so far, not too bad a start.  I wish he'd done something better with the courts and the indices, though.  The royals look more like they're at a cocktail party than at a graduation (the most common method used to distribute diplomas).  The typeface for the indices isn't the greatest, either.  Excellent back design, however.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I was hoping the Blue/Gold version would have made it back into the mix somehow. It was different, not that the Black/Gold look bad, but the color combination, while very pleasing, is becoming kind of "Standard".

And why no Early Bird 2 deck pledge, I've seen a couple projects not offer one, doesn't make sense to me.

Attractive deck, I wish them luck!

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The Blue/Gold color variant is their $60k stretch goal. I hope they make it, I really like that color combination, but I am not terribly optimistic and that's a pretty big number..

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The Blue/Gold color variant is their $60k stretch goal. I hope they make it, I really like that color combination, but I am not terribly optimistic and that's a pretty big number..

Ah, it just says a Limited Edition deck for 60K..........I would have to agree though, that's a pretty lofty goal.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

vmagic

Sorry I meant that he didn't specify which time zone. I've talked to him about custom courts before launching but he was fine with them as is. His original stretch goal for another deck was $100,000 for some reason, at least this is better somewhat.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »

shimmyjimmy

• Newcomer
I might just have to get one.