You are Here:
United States ARMY deck - by Jackson Robinson (KS Jan. 24, 2015)

Author (Read 22972 times)

Re: United States ARMY deck - by Jackson Robinson (KS Jan. 24, 2015)
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
a few more pictures for the upcoming re-launch.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2015, 06:49:16 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'm finding these watercolor images full of motion and action. They're pretty great, this is something I wasn't expecting out of Kings Wild. I don't think great quite covers it though does it? It's not an easy thing to make it look simple and clean yet still capture motion and feel. Excellent work on these. Absolutely top notch on the imagery. Indices are pushed out and placed very well, I like that a lot.

With all those likes, there are of course things I don't like but you guys already know what they are haha. Not breakers for me, I'll be finding my way to pledging for sure. It's only a day away!
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Love the art.  Hate the "stained/weathered" look.  Just so tired of it by now.

I'm glad to see it's a modern version of the army he's portraying - we've all seen our share of historical military decks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Love the art.  Hate the "stained/weathered" look.  Just so tired of it by now.

I'm glad to see it's a modern version of the army he's portraying - we've all seen our share of historical military decks.

Not all rough and gritty styles are necessarily stained or weathered. This was a specific choice combining two of my favorite art styles. It is a mixture of both Japanese watercolor, hand lettered Japanese typography and one of my favorite oil painters Richard Schmid. I also was very inspired by the Japanese conceptual art of the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Oh and there will be old and historic elements as well.

Richard Schmid Gallery
http://www.richardschmid.com/Articles.asp?ID=254
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:40:03 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Not all rough and gritty styles are necessarily stained or weathered. This was a specific choice combining two of my favorite art styles. It is a mixture of both Japanese watercolor, hand lettered Japanese typography and one of my favorite oil painters Richard Schmid. I also was very inspired by the Japanese conceptual art of the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Oh and there will be old and historic elements as well.

Richard Schmid Gallery
I agree that MGS is fantastic, but isn't the artist Ashley Wood, who's Australian? :)
I love all of his work. Not to digress, but the absolute best Japanese artist is Yoshitaka Amano.

/bama
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:22:35 PM by bamabenz »

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I think the textured background elevates the watercolor-y conceptual game art style of the card faces. I think it'd risk looking a bit "unfinished" without it.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Richard Schmid Gallery
I agree that MGS is fantastic, but isn't the artist Ashley Wood, who's Australian? :)
I love all of his work. Not to digress, but the absolute best Japanese artist is Yoshitaka Amano.

/bama

Bama, I think you might have made an error.  He's not claiming that Schmid is the artist of the Metal Gear Solid conceptual art.

For me, it's simply a matter of wait and see.  I like much of what I'm seeing thus far and find it to be a welcome departure from the style of your previous work, Jackson.

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2015, 01:39:30 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Richard Schmid Gallery

/bama

Bama, I think you might have made an error.  He's not claiming that Schmid is the artist of the Metal Gear Solid conceptual art.

For me, it's simply a matter of wait and see.  I like much of what I'm seeing thus far and find it to be a welcome departure from the style of your previous work, Jackson.
I often make mistakes.
But in this case my point is that MGS was not drawn by a Japanese artist, so its not really Japanese conceptual art.
I was being nitpicky, my bad.
MGS is great. Schmid is great.
I'm sure this deck will be great.
Can't wait to see the pip cards.

/bama

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 02:00:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I often make mistakes.
But in this case my point is that MGS was not drawn by a Japanese artist, so its not really Japanese conceptual art.

/bama

Don't sweat it.  I suspect that even there, he was referring to the artistic style rather than the ethnic origin of the artist for the MGS pieces.

Regardless, cool art so far, looking forward to seeing the rest.

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Richard Schmid Gallery

/bama

I often make mistakes.
MGS is great. Schmid is great.
I'm sure this deck will be great.
Can't wait to see the pip cards.

/bama

I'm actually speaking of Yoji Shinkawa. He is the Japanese artist who makes all the brush like paintings and also title sequences. 
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I *love* the new artwork on this deck!

As much as I hate USPCC quality, for artwork like this (along with the fact that it's an Army deck), I've got to deviate from my usual "I'm not buying USPCC stuff" stance so that I can add this to my little collection.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

US ARMY Playing Cards by Jackson Robinson (KS)
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
US ARMY Playing Cards
by Jackson Robinson

Edit: Brain farted, this topic is already live. Sorry fellas.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:26:37 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:48 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Thirty four hours left on this campaign as I type this. That's the friendly reminder bit.

There's been some interesting choices made in the design of this deck. Either good or back, I can't say. That's up to everyone's individual taste. If you haven't checked it out lately, I encourage you to take a gander. See what's what and if it appeals to you. The final day is coming.