You are Here:
[VID] Ellusionist Pressers

Author (Read 1647 times)

[VID] Ellusionist Pressers
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:53 AM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
Just uploaded a video review for the Pressers deck released by Ellusionist last week.  (I got mine in the mail tonight.)

This deck seems to be a departure from the norm for Ellusionist.  I like the color & design of the card backs, but I'm not a giant fan of the court cards pictures..... which remind of a comic book.  I couldn't picture doing magic tricks with this deck or playing cards for money with them either.  That's just my two cents.

Here 'tis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFPLFwZZaI
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:26:03 PM by FrenchFryNecromancer »
Deck Reviews & Tutorials:  http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicCloud8

Re: [VID] Ellusionist Pressers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice review French, I was on the fence post with these........still kinda 50/50

I think this is just sad though......

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I might get one just for the box honestly. Still undecided though. Definitely won't be purchasing them for their handling since I cannot do anything when it comes to cardistry. I may start messing around with cards in the near future  :) But anyways awesome review and thanks for the details. Definitely nice to see before purchasing and possibly regretting. Looking forward to more reviews in the future.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:22:46 PM by speedyy400 »

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Just uploaded a video review for the Pressers deck released by Ellusionist last week.  (I got mine in the mail tonight.)

This deck seems to be a departure from the norm for Ellusionist.  I like the color & design of the card backs, but I'm not a giant fan of the court cards pictures..... which remind of a comic book.  I couldn't picture doing magic tricks with this deck or playing cards for money with them either.  That's just my two cents.

Here 'tis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFPLFwZZaI

Yep, your reviews are the best.  I agree with your thoughts on the core cards, maybe if I watched mad men i would feel differently.

I've been watching your reviews since the I started collecting (pretty recently) and way before I even joined the forums (didn't realize you were even on here until now).  They are hands down some of my favorites - love the dead-pan humor and your post-taping cuts are just FAN-tastic... My favorite would probably be from your Silver Split Spades review "it almost has a vampirish look and feel - DISCLAIMER - I do not actually know what a vampire feels like."  Brilliant.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
I think this is just sad though......

Yep the deck got a little worn out after all my attempts to execute a nice pressure fan, as well as execute the Under Pressure flourish.  I've been trying to learn the pressure fan for a while now, and it still takes me quite a few tries.  Maybe I am doing the fan wrong and it shouldn't actually unleash utter destruction on the cards.  Hmmmm, thoughts to consider.....

So actually...  (actually so) this is my first review featuring both of these flourishes.  My secret is I keep a beat up, old deck of cards in the cup holder of my car.  When I'm waiting at a traffic light I pull out the cards to practice the pressure fan and VOILA.........  I am (arguably) no longer wasting precious seconds of my life.

I felt like a MENSA candidate when I came up with this idea.

DISCLAIMER:  Frequently practicing moves that require you to squeeze the deck really hard may or may not give you carpal tunnel syndrome (and/or arthritis).  My wrists and knuckles hurt me pretty much all day, every day now!  :-D  :-D.  I'm not even kidding.  :-(

I might get one just for the box honestly. Still undecided though. Definitely won't be purchasing them for their handling since I cannot do anything when it comes to cardistry. I may start messing around with cards in the near future  :) But anyways awesome review and thanks for the details. Definitely nice to see before purchasing and possibly regretting. Looking forward to more reviews in the future.

Yeah I only ordered one deck.  When I saw the comic book style artwork I was immediately "not sold".  But the back design looked nice and I was curious enough to do a review for it.  Especially since it seems like such a strange deck coming from Ellusionist.  Hopefully they go back to making awesome-looking decks instead of this type of thing.  And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

Yep, your reviews are the best.  I agree with your thoughts on the core cards, maybe if I watched mad men i would feel differently.

I've been watching your reviews since the I started collecting (pretty recently) and way before I even joined the forums (didn't realize you were even on here until now).  They are hands down some of my favorites - love the dead-pan humor and your post-taping cuts are just FAN-tastic... My favorite would probably be from your Silver Split Spades review "it almost has a vampirish look and feel - DISCLAIMER - I do not actually know what a vampire feels like."  Brilliant.

Yeah.  I hear mad men is a good show.  But I've never seen it and am not particularly turned on by the idea of a show about the "roaring 20's".  Maybe one day.  Anyway, thanks for the compliment.  I'm glad you appreciate the humor I attempt to insert into these reviews.  I wonder sometimes if the jokes will make sense or if they are only funny in my head.  LOL at the vampire thing... I had forgotten about that.  Sometimes what happens is I just speak like a complete idiot... and then during editing it's easier to make fun of myself versus having to go back and re-film it.  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:25:38 PM by FrenchFryNecromancer »

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yeah.  I hear mad men is a good show.  But I've never seen it and am not particularly turned on by the idea of a show about the "roaring 20's".  Maybe one day.

You are aware that "Mad Men" is set in the 1960s, right?  Not the 1920s?  It was arguably the peak era of the power of Madison Avenue advertising firms.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member

Yeah.  I hear mad men is a good show.  But I've never seen it and am not particularly turned on by the idea of a show about the "roaring 20's".  Maybe one day.

You are aware that "Mad Men" is set in the 1960s, right?  Not the 1920s?  It was arguably the peak era of the power of Madison Avenue advertising firms.

LOL......   actually I had read your post on this site talking about the Pressers deck where you were correcting someone else about which decade was "roaring".  He had written "roaring 1940's"... and you said, don't you mean "the roaring 20's"?  I remember reading that in the context of this deck, so I figured I was on target.  Oh how wrong I was.  :-D

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »

steampunk

• Owner of steampunkgoggles.com and some other stuff

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
That has to be the funniest review I've seen in a while - the part about smoking & drinking, nice job  :P
I like the artwork, and the stock, not a fan of plain backs but I like the color. What extra cards would you have wanted to see in that deck instead of the 2 ad cards?

I learned a little about reveals over the past couple of days from a magician I've been talking to - do those jokers w/different headbands help?

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »

FrenchFryNecromancer

• True Member
That has to be the funniest review I've seen in a while - the part about smoking & drinking, nice job  :P
I like the artwork, and the stock, not a fan of plain backs but I like the color. What extra cards would you have wanted to see in that deck instead of the 2 ad cards?

I learned a little about reveals over the past couple of days from a magician I've been talking to - do those jokers w/different headbands help?

Thanks.  :)  Well instead of the ad cards I'd rather see anything else...  double backer, blank faced card, extra card of any value, or gaff cards (see the video I uploaded yesterday for some creative gaff cards included in the Americana deck).  Putting ad cards in the deck just seems like a gaping hole where the deck creator could have provided more value with little effort.  Instead they choose to advertise themselves.  It reminds me of paying to see a movie in the theater and then having to watch advertisements for some soft drink before the movie starts.

The different color headbands are not reveals (unless I'm missing something).  A reveal is something like "Seven of Clubs" written somewhere on a card or on the card box.  Later on you can "reveal" that it matches a spectators random selection from the deck.  1st off it's cool because you may not have initially noticed the reveal.  Second off it's cool because it is the same card the spectator had freely selected.