Bicycle® SEVEN SEAS PREVIEW - KICKSTARTER
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:47:09 AM by Don Boyer »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Bicycle Seven Seas - Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
This looks real good. I'm liking that QoH, looks well sweet. Can't wait to see more of this.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Very interesting. Any pics of the back design?
- Tom

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
*fingers crossed*

Please don't be a one way back...

*fingers crossed*
Broke for cards

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Via twitter.

https://twitter.com/brainvessel

Box art (Back design?) looks pretty nice.

But, if it is the back, it's one-way. Look at the map and the extra pips placed in the center.

At least it's subtle.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:47:12 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

But, if it is the back, it's one-way. Look at the map and the extra pips placed in the center.

At least it's subtle.

About as subtle as a dentist removing teeth with a sledgehammer...  I can spot that pretty fast - only the much less observant will miss that one-way pattern.  You shouldn't overestimate a spectator, but you shouldn't underestimate them either!  Many of them would spot it quickly enough.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
If he wants to do it that way with a "one-way" back he should make the suits smaller and pull them into the center to make it less obvious. You have to remember what your going to be looking at when your playing an opponent.  You might see a bunch of Harts and Diamonds peeking from the side....   

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

At least it's subtle.

About as subtle as a dentist removing teeth with a sledgehammer...  I can spot that pretty fast - only the much less observant will miss that one-way pattern.  You shouldn't overestimate a spectator, but you shouldn't underestimate them either!  Many of them would spot it quickly enough.

Oh, I meant subtle in comparison to the full-on one way decks.

Like the Karnival Dose.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:14:01 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I really really like this deck. It's launching this week, according the the Facebook page. :D

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 02:18:12 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Kickstarter is making me bankrupt. There are way too many decks recently. I love this one too haha but looks like a no go for the time being. I have to start picking my poison

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

At least it's subtle.

Like the Karnival Dose.

Oh, well - THAT deck's back being anything remotely other than one-way is as subtle as that same dentist switching to a root canal by wrecking ball...   :))

Honestly, though - while it won't be a poker players first choice and some magicians will shy away from it, a one-way back isn't always the end of the world.  If it was, the Congress brand would have died out decades ago.  I'm not sure they do anything other than one-way backs anymore!  A beautiful deck is still a beautiful deck regardless of the number of "ways" on the back.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I wish deck makers would start designing 5 way backs.
Or maybe if one of the Cthulhu decks could have a non-Euclidean back....

That being said I am pretty fond of this deck. My card group has never worried too much about one way backs. They care much more about the recognizability (is that a word) of the faces, so for the most part they prefer me to stay with "traditional" faces. So this deck would be purely for my collection.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

A beautiful deck is still a beautiful deck regardless of the number of "ways" on the back.

couldn't agree more, though i'm curious how the "36 illustrated tales" work into a 52 card deck..
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

A beautiful deck is still a beautiful deck regardless of the number of "ways" on the back.

couldn't agree more, though i'm curious how the "36 illustrated tales" work into a 52 card deck..

He did mention earlier that it's 36 individual illustrations, with some being repeated.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »

BrainVessel

• True Member
  • Illustration, animation and wonderful creations!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
We are definitely listening to everything people are saying is regard to our 'Seven Seas' deck.  This is a new endeavor for us and can't thank everyone enough for the input we are receiving.  We have decided to delay the launch for another week, so we can properly address a few of these suggestions.  This is such a great community to be a part of, so thank you!

At least it's subtle.

Like the Karnival Dose.

Oh, well - THAT deck's back being anything remotely other than one-way is as subtle as that same dentist switching to a root canal by wrecking ball...   :))

Honestly, though - while it won't be a poker players first choice and some magicians will shy away from it, a one-way back isn't always the end of the world.  If it was, the Congress brand would have died out decades ago.  I'm not sure they do anything other than one-way backs anymore!  A beautiful deck is still a beautiful deck regardless of the number of "ways" on the back.
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

BrainVessel

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
All court cards are unique illustrations and the rank cards are duplicates.  HOWEVER, if we reach a stretch goal (TBD) we will create the deck with 54 unique illustrations each and more tales.  So if the community backs this the way they are now, we will be able to illustrate more in parallel to the campaign run time.  Thanks to all!

He did mention earlier that it's 36 individual illustrations, with some being repeated.
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »

BrainVessel

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
FYI- We planned on this week for a launch.  However, we feel it is in our best interest(and the decks best) we polish a few more this up before releasing to public.  I will be posting up exact date.  We got some pretty exciting things planned for early supporters of this project.  Fan our page and keep in touch!  Thanks for the kind words!
I really really like this deck. It's launching this week, according the the Facebook page. :D
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
It's good to hear that your court cards are going to be unique.  It seems the big dogs today are skimping on that.  People expect more and should expect more uniqueness.  I kind of see where you are going with your theme. Maybe with the pips you could design a bigger ship with each pip.  That would be cool.  To take it a step farther, one cannon for each pip increase.  Just remember the top left of your back card is the most important.  It is what people are going to see the most.  Try to make a digital drawing of your fan....

Edit:  Also give us a preview link of your Kickstarter.  I like to look at the rewards and we can check for errors.  You don't want to sell "God certificate decks" when you meant to say "Gold certificate decks" like Jackson did.  Sorry Jackson for using you as an example.  Everyone makes mistakes.  You just need a lot of eyes to look things over. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:56:09 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
"36 unique illustrations, let me guess,

4 aces, 9 red numbers, 9 blue/black numbers, 12 courts, 2 jokers. Only way this makes sense =D" A quote said by Volantangel on BrainVessel's introduction page. I saw it before and figured I should show credit where credit was due.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

BrainVessel

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Yeah. We are polishing up a few things before sharing the link.  We are taking into consideration a lot of suggestions being made without taking away from our original vision.  We will definitely keep everyone in the loop as we prepare to launch from the dock. :)

Thanks you.

It's good to hear that your court cards are going to be unique.  It seems the big dogs today are skimping on that.  People expect more and should expect more uniqueness.  I kind of see where you are going with your theme. Maybe with the pips you could design a bigger ship with each pip.  That would be cool.  To take it a step farther, one cannon for each pip increase.  Just remember the top left of your back card is the most important.  It is what people are going to see the most.  Try to make a digital drawing of your fan....

Edit:  Also give us a preview link of your Kickstarter.  I like to look at the rewards and we can check for errors.  You don't want to sell "God certificate decks" when you meant to say "Gold certificate decks" like Jackson did.  Sorry Jackson for using you as an example.  Everyone makes mistakes.  You just need a lot of eyes to look things over.
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »

BrainVessel

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hello all.  As we mentioned on previous threads, WE ARE LISTENING.  Now we would like to get your overall opinions about the 2 alternative design of the back.  Thanks for everyones input.  (Event the texture and the map is reversed, now it comes down to preference of design!)  Pips or no pips...that is thy question?

At least it's subtle.

Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I personally like "2-way" 1.  The suits seem to be a distraction.  Another Idea, you could have the pips and put two little ships sailing around the pips to make it "2-way".  Make a little story with the ships. Maybe, you could have the little ships fire cannon balls at each other.  Or you could substitute one of the pips for the ships.  Or make the pip and build the ship around the pip.  Or make the pips into like a background treasure map something like the Global Unrest guy.  Notice the little bombers.  You have so many options.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:19:39 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
I agree with sprouts, two-way 1 is better. Many deck designers seems to have this urge to incorporate the suit symbols in the back design. It's not a bad thing per se, but it's been done many times before. And the suits ARE on the faces after all, so it is kinda overkill.

Nice work on this btw, it's simple and has many of the elements that (IMO) makes an attractive back design (center piece, faded background, corner pieces, no "hard" borders). Though the lines along the long edges seem a bit out of place, once you find out which one of these you're going with I would make another side-by-side comparison with and without those lines. Or maybe replace them with something that doesn't seem as out of place.
- Tom

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
I also like the two-way I. Yeah, the pips don't seem necessary there...since it's a compass thingy.
Broke for cards

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Two-way no. 1 is the better of the two - and get rid of the lines running along the sides; I can see no good reason for them being there and it would look nicer without them.  Your deck is sailing-themed with a dash of the piratical - pips on the back just seem out of place.