You are Here:
FIFA World Cup 2014

Author (Read 1686 times)

FIFA World Cup 2014
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
So since the drawing for the World Cup was today, I figured it would be a good idea to start a new topic for those of us football fans. I attached a picture of all the groups so you don't have to go very far to look them up. I personally feel Group G is the Group of Death. As a USA fan, I feel that it will be quite tough to come out of it. I am really looking forward to the World Cup next summer. It should be a a great one. There is a lot of awesome match-ups already. I love how Spain and the Netherlands are playing each other in their first game. A rematch of the 2010 World Cup final. If only it was summer already  :t11:

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
US won't get out of that group  that is certain..I love the Spain Netherlands first round matchup  that will be a great game

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
US won't get out of that group  that is certain..I love the Spain Netherlands first round matchup  that will be a great game
I really want to believe we have a small chance. Germany will take the first spot easily, but the US can beat Ghana and draw with Portugal. Then get through on goal differential.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

You never know, the US has a pretty solid team and seem to always play better than expected in the World Cup. My other team is Italy, they shouldn't have any issues with their group, but as much as I love my "Azzurri" they do get a little cocky at times and fall to the most unlikely of teams.

Should be some very entertaining match ups  :D

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Your an Italy fan? Me n u gona have trouble lol England v Italy in th jungle. Should b a good game. England have never beaten Italy in a competitive match tho :o .. Spain v Netherlands is the standout tie for th group stage.
For USA's group, it's tough but doable.
Belgium r gona b the dark horses methinks
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Your an Italy fan? Me n u gona have trouble lol England v Italy in th jungle. Should b a good game. England have never beaten Italy in a competitive match tho :o .. Spain v Netherlands is the standout tie for th group stage.

LOL, 100% Italian here Nurul, my entire family played including myself...........and I'm talking generations here. lol I just hope the competition is there, sad when a lot of the games are one sided.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Spain v Netherlands is the standout tie for th group stage.

I have to agree with you Nurul. USA are definitely doable but it all depends on the result with Portugal. They need a draw with them and then a 1-0 loss to Germany to be in the mix. As for Spain and the Netherlands, like I said earlier, I am very excited about it. I think it will be a great match and hope to see both of those teams make it out of the group stages. As you said Nurul that Belgium will make it, I'm not as confident. I think Uruguay are still a very strong team. This will definitely be an interesting World Cup. I am very excited to see how it all plays out.

LOL, 100% Italian here Nurul, my entire family played including myself...........and I'm talking generations here. lol I just hope the competition is there, sad when a lot of the games are one sided.

I totally agree Sparkz. It is nice to see when people here are part of a family long tradition. I personally am not used to that because my parents are immigrants and all of my friends families are not, so I have never got to experience sharing the gratitude in World Cup as you did. My family have played football for generations but the sad thing is, is that it was for the Republic of Ireland. I on the other hand am torn between supporting the USA or sticking to my family long tradition of the Republic of Ireland. To be honest, I am the USA as of now, but if the Republic of Ireland were in the mix, I would be very torn.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Nothing to be torn about unless they play each other :)u can always support both .. I tend to support the home  nations .. I love watching the Netherlands play, as well as Spain, Brazil n Germany.
 Who are your favourites to win?

I'm torn between 4 teams, but I reckon Germany will win. They've improved year after year.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Nothing to be torn about unless they play each other :)u can always support both .. I tend to support the home  nations .. I love watching the Netherlands play, as well as Spain, Brazil n Germany.
 Who are your favourites to win?

I'm torn between 4 teams, but I reckon Germany will win. They've improved year after year.

I have to agree with you about the Netherlands. They are a team I always back for some reason. I just really enjoy watching them. I also have to agree with Germany winning it. They have so many great players. Between Bayern Munchen and Borussia Dortmund, the Germans are unstoppable. I think Brazil and Spain will be around but I also want to believe that Argentina will be in the mix. They have a nice easy group stage and have a pretty solid team.

We shall see who gets it all soon enough  :D

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
If Uruguay makes it out of the group stages (thats the real group of death) which i think it probably will, they stand a pretty good chance of making it to the finals. I would be pretty upset if the Spanish won, dont like them at all.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
If Uruguay makes it out of the group stages (thats the real group of death) which i think it probably will, they stand a pretty good chance of making it to the finals. I would be pretty upset if the Spanish won, dont like them at all.

I would definitely have to disagree with Uruguay being in the group of death. I personally feel that both Germany and Portugal are better than England and Italy by a large degree. And then adding the US and Ghana, it is honestly a indescribable group.

Uruguay are an extremely good team, and showed well in the last World Cup, but I don't see them winning it. Am I remembering correctly that they were the team that used the hand ball to advance? I don't really see that as good sportsmanship but I supposed it worked for you guys at the time.

As for Spain, I have a tough time backing them. Although they are European, I just don't see my fandom going that way any time soon. They obviously have an unreal shot at winning it. Their match against the Netherlands should be an interesting one to say the least.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Yeah, it was Suarez against Ghana. They broke Ghanaian hearts.

Well, here's a World Cup fact for you all:-
No European team has ever lifted the World Cup outside of Europe.

If we going by stats, then brazil to win the World Cup lol but I'm still going to back Germany to win it. Germany v Brazil in the final. Spain v Netherlands in 3rd/4th place play off

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »

volantangel

• True Member

I would definitely have to disagree with Uruguay being in the group of death. I personally feel that both Germany and Portugal are better than England and Italy by a large degree. And then adding the US and Ghana, it is honestly a indescribable group.

Uruguay are an extremely good team, and showed well in the last World Cup, but I don't see them winning it. Am I remembering correctly that they were the team that used the hand ball to advance? I don't really see that as good sportsmanship but I supposed it worked for you guys at the time.

As for Spain, I have a tough time backing them. Although they are European, I just don't see my fandom going that way any time soon. They obviously have an unreal shot at winning it. Their match against the Netherlands should be an interesting one to say the least.

Well the group of death to me consists of excellent teams that are on a relatively even level, its pretty open out there for group D, if i had to pick 2 for group D it would be italy and uruguay, england is just.. disappointing. the thing about the other groups is that you can guess whos going to go through, group D is more uncertain hence group of death.

Who do you think is gonna qualify past the group stages ?

Group A : Brazil, Mexico
Group B: Spain, Holland
Group C: Japan, Ivory Coast??
Group D: Uruguay, Italy
Group E: France, Swiss
Group F: Argentina, Nigeria
Group G: Germany, Portugal
Group H: Belgium, Korea/Russia??

And yes that handball is the most disgusting thing in the last world cup, i really dislike suarez...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:58:40 AM by volantangel »

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:46 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Don't let the FIFA rankings fool you. Although im from England and a supporter of England, USA have done much better than them in recent years. Also, ever since Ghana have made it to big stage (as well as Ivory Coast) they perform to the highest degree. That's why I think group G is much tougher. Portugal have good and bad days and sometimes solely rely on just Ronaldo, so there's that element that Ghana and USA can finish 2nd in that group. I've seen bigger shocks (Greece winning euros, anyone? Lol)
England have come into this tournament as underdogs.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member

Well the group of death to me consists of excellent teams that are on a relatively even level, its pretty open out there for group D, if i had to pick 2 for group D it would be italy and uruguay, england is just.. disappointing. the thing about the other groups is that you can guess whos going to go through, group D is more uncertain hence group of death.

Don't let the FIFA rankings fool you. Although im from England and a supporter of England, USA have done much better than them in recent years. Also, ever since Ghana have made it to big stage (as well as Ivory Coast) they perform to the highest degree. That's why I think group G is much tougher. Portugal have good and bad days and sometimes solely rely on just Ronaldo, so there's that element that Ghana and USA can finish 2nd in that group. I've seen bigger shocks (Greece winning euros, anyone? Lol)
England have come into this tournament as underdogs.

I have to agree with Nurul. I feel that the US team can actually do better in the tournament than England. Had USA gotten an easier group, they would have gone further. Ghana too. They were robbed by Uruguay last year and had a very respectable showing.

Italy doesn't have the team they have had the past couple of years and are missing a few pieces. I would say that Group D is definitely the 2nd toughest but wouldn't pass out Group G. I attached a picture showing their national rankings averaged per group and it agrees with that I am saying.

Who do you think is gonna qualify past the group stages ?

Group A : Brazil, Mexico
Group B: Spain, Holland
Group C: Japan, Ivory Coast??
Group D: Uruguay, Italy
Group E: France, Swiss
Group F: Argentina, Nigeria
Group G: Germany, Portugal
Group H: Belgium, Korea/Russia??

I would say the round of 16 will consist of Brazil vs Netherlands, Spain vs Mexico, Ivory Coast vs England, Japan vs Uruguay, France vs Nigeria, Argentina vs Switzerland, Germany vs South Korea, USA vs Belgium.

Winners of that will be Brazil, Spain, England, Uruguay, France, Argentina, Germany, USA.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC-zB2aSXXM

I really liked this video. Some people left out of it but I would be interested in seeing where this ends up. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:57:55 PM by speedyy400 »

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
It was good, is there a part 2 to b released? A lot of big names were missing from this advert, but I suppose those names are affiliated with other companies.

Reminds me of the old nike adverts <3

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
It was good, is there a part 2 to b released? A lot of big names were missing from this advert, but I suppose those names are affiliated with other companies.

Reminds me of the old nike adverts <3

I don't quite know. I would love if they actually made a part 2 of this but I really have no idea. I would imagine there will be since the title of it is "The Beginning". I came across it on Facebook and thought it was awesome. I never knew Samsung were in tight with these players.