Smoke and Mirrors orange?

Author (Read 1130 times)

Smoke and Mirrors orange?
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
This thing was hiding in plain daylight.
Then again, I guess no one was really interested in the Woody Clip.

I love it when companies make a big deal about ending one of their popular products, then just say "lol disregard that MOAR COLORS" a few months later.

But anyway, thoughts? Think this will be released with the purple deck? Is it just D&D joking around?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Smoke and Mirrors orange?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:16:33 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Purple, orange....this is the sort of thing that makes me want to abandon my current quest for the original releases. But someone will scream "Limited", everyone will buy it and it ends up being the success they intended it to be.

I want new ideas, not new colors....i've said it before, unless they release my favorite color i'm not overly interested.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
It's not orange. It's just red in a bright light so it looks orange-ish. There's no way orange or purple S&Ms will ever be a reality. It'd make D&D look bad after that grand sendoff of the Smoke and Mirrors series last year.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's not orange. It's just red in a bright light so it looks orange-ish. There's no way orange or purple S&Ms will ever be a reality. It'd make D&D look bad after that grand sendoff of the Smoke and Mirrors series last year.

Makes sense.

But that light's freakin intense to make them look that bright.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Purple, orange....this is the sort of thing that makes me want to abandon my current quest for the original releases. But someone will scream "Limited", everyone will buy it and it ends up being the success they intended it to be.

Never let the cry of "LIMITED!!!!! O!!M!!G!!  MUST HAVE NNNNNNOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!" stop you from intentionally ignoring a deck release.  Buy what makes you happy, to hell with the rest.  Seriously, before you got into cards, did you intentionally surround yourself with Zippos that you really didn't like at all - perhaps even hated - JUST because they were RARE?

Makes sense.

So?  Look at when they released Fulton's Chinatown.  Everyone though it would be this deep, firecracker red, 'cause that's how they appeared in the photos.  Well, they looked like that because they were posed around a bunch of firecrackers (reflected color) and perhaps even with a red filter on the lighting.  The end result looked like the firecrackers got bleached when Fulton left them in his shirt pocket before washing it.  It was a nasty orange-red reminiscent of French dressing that few people liked.  They actually announced that deck would have a run of only 5,000 - first time they ever announced the size of a print run on one of their decks.  It took MONTHS to sell them out, an order of magnitude longer than any of their S&M releases.

(The part that really pissed me off about that release was that, aside from some difference in the background color and the jokers and AoS, it was the EXACT same faces and color scheme as one of the Vintage Plaid decks.  One could practically have copied the VP files and renamed them and they'd have done more than half of the deck's design work.  But that's another story for another time...)

Moral of the story: yes, they do f**k around with the colors in their photos - take them with a few grains of salt, 'cause one won't be enough.

There will be no purple, no orange, etc. unless they go back on their word that version 7 was the finale of the S&M series.  It's bad enough in the eyes of many collectors that they made all those reprints - it dilutes the value of the original.  You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, yada yada yada.  They'd alienate some of their customer base, and it's a bad economy to be doing that in.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:35:38 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Never let the cry of "LIMITED!!!!! O!!M!!G!!  MUST HAVE NNNNNNOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!" stop you from intentionally ignoring a deck release.  Buy what makes you happy, to hell with the rest.  Seriously, before you got into cards, did you intentionally surround yourself with Zippos that you really didn't like at all - perhaps even hated - JUST because they were RARE?

That's exactly my point Don, the notion of it being limited starts a frenzy and D&D could care less because they sold decks that they just adjusted the color mix on, no labor of thought process beyond............oh, purple seems to be hot right now, lets reprint this design AGAIN in that color and make more money. I'm not going to say I never bought a Zip because it was "Rare", but that was way in the beginning, just like cards now, but since I've been down that road before, I didn't get that "Rare" bug with cards. Now if I can get "Rare" at a great price..........I'm in, I'm not stupid  8)

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:30:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's exactly my point Don, the notion of it being limited starts a frenzy and D&D could care less because they sold decks that they just adjusted the color mix on, no labor of thought process beyond............oh, purple seems to be hot right now, lets reprint this design AGAIN in that color and make more money. I'm not going to say I never bought a Zip because it was "Rare", but that was way in the beginning, just like cards now, but since I've been down that road before, I didn't get that "Rare" bug with cards. Now if I can get "Rare" at a great price..........I'm in, I'm not stupid  8)

It's good that some of your experience from the other hobby applies in this one.  Just be careful about "rare" anything that you don't want to be a permanent part of your collection.  I've got a LOT of Bicycle Americana decks as a result of such thinking...  Rare and desirable are sometimes two entirely different things, and in an industry where everything is rare to some degree, nothing is really all that rare anymore, or so it seems.

Regardless, unless Dan or Dave have blown a gasket, I don't think they'll be revisiting the Smoke and Mirrors series, especially after that big send-off with the limited-edition v7 boxed sets.  It's a trick of the light, plain and simple, perhaps even enhanced a bit with Photoshop.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:34:42 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wait here while I go photoshop Dan and Dave doing the W.E.R.M. next to a neon pink Lamborghini using cards that match the car.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Makes sense.

So?  Look at when they released Fulton's Chinatown.  Everyone though it would be this deep, firecracker red, 'cause that's how they appeared in the photos.  Well, they looked like that because they were posed around a bunch of firecrackers (reflected color) and perhaps even with a red filter on the lighting.  The end result looked like the firecrackers got bleached when Fulton left them in his shirt pocket before washing it.  It was a nasty orange-red reminiscent of French dressing that few people liked.  They actually announced that deck would have a run of only 5,000 - first time they ever announced the size of a print run on one of their decks.  It took MONTHS to sell them out, an order of magnitude longer than any of their S&M releases.

(The part that really pissed me off about that release was that, aside from some difference in the background color and the jokers and AoS, it was the EXACT same faces and color scheme as one of the Vintage Plaid decks.  One could practically have copied the VP files and renamed them and they'd have done more than half of the deck's design work.  But that's another story for another time...)

Moral of the story: yes, they do f**k around with the colors in their photos - take them with a few grains of salt, 'cause one won't be enough.

There will be no purple, no orange, etc. unless they go back on their word that version 7 was the finale of the S&M series.  It's bad enough in the eyes of many collectors that they made all those reprints - it dilutes the value of the original.  You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, yada yada yada.  They'd alienate some of their customer base, and it's a bad economy to be doing that in.

Good point. The Fulton's Chinatown pissed me off. If they wanted that red color, why didn't they just print it with the deep red in the first place?

I've been looking at the picture for quite some time, and I think it's got to be photoshopped. No way light that subtle on the clip could be that intense on the cards.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Its Photoshopped, they just messed with the hue and saturation, light would have effected the entire photo.

It's a pretty simple manipulation too....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The second one is for you Don, I hear your partial to Green  :D

....it almost seems like they use this stuff as a barometer to see what "Chatter" starts up in social media and sites.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:47:04 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good point. The Fulton's Chinatown pissed me off. If they wanted that red color, why didn't they just print it with the deep red in the first place?

If I had to bet, I'd bet they thought it would be that dark before the decks showed up on their freight dock.

Its Photoshopped, they just messed with the hue and saturation, light would have effected the entire photo.

It's a pretty simple manipulation too....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The second one is for you Don, I hear your partial to Green  :D

....it almost seems like they use this stuff as a barometer to see what "Chatter" starts up in social media and sites.

Green's an underutilized color in playing cards.

As far as social media, etc., they certainly don't come here.  Sy in Customer Service flat-out stated they don't look at the message boards.  I asked him once, can't remember why.  Do a search, the reason's probably around here somewhere, hiding under a meme or something...