The Quality Bee playing cards

Author (Read 10382 times)

Re: The Quality Bee playing cards
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I've not got the red of blue Quality deck... I may get one at some point, and if its handling is anything near that of the classic twins, then I'll definitely be impressed!

It's not the red or blue Quality Bee decks that feel like Classic Twins.  It's the BROWN Quality deck - minus the "Bee" part, because they aren't Bee-branded and didn't come from USPC.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty

I've not got the red of blue Quality deck... I may get one at some point, and if its handling is anything near that of the classic twins, then I'll definitely be impressed!

It's not the red or blue Quality Bee decks that feel like Classic Twins.  It's the BROWN Quality deck - minus the "Bee" part, because they aren't Bee-branded and didn't come from USPC.

Oh... well in that case Don, I couldn't disagree more -- the Brown Quality deck feels nothing like the classic twins (or any other deck with the classic finish).

The Brown Quality deck feels actually feels like decks which use the master finish (the older master finish decks, which have less of a slick/glossy feel to them than current master finish decks such as the NOC V3 range). It probably uses the same imported card stock as what LPCC and EPCC use for their diamond/master finish decks.

Classic Finish decks have more of a papery feel to them, where as the Brown Quality deck doesn't. ‎It's a totally different card stock altogether.

The closest thing ‎I've felt to the Brown Quality deck is the Play Fair deck by Kei Izumi.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Oh... well in that case Don, I couldn't disagree more -- the Brown Quality deck feels nothing like the classic twins (or any other deck with the classic finish).

The Brown Quality deck feels actually feels like decks which use the master finish (the older master finish decks, which have less of a slick/glossy feel to them than current master finish decks such as the NOC V3 range). It probably uses the same imported card stock as what LPCC and EPCC use for their diamond/master finish decks.

Classic Finish decks have more of a papery feel to them, where as the Brown Quality deck doesn't. ‎It's a totally different card stock altogether.

The closest thing ‎I've felt to the Brown Quality deck is the Play Fair deck by Kei Izumi.

Classic Twins have a Master Finish on them.  Says so on the box.

The one thing I can say definitively is that the brown Quality deck uses a stock nothing like USPC's present output.

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty

Classic Twins have a Master Finish on them.  Says so on the box.

The one thing I can say definitively is that the brown Quality deck uses a stock nothing like USPC's present output.

Wrong!!‎

Unless you have some special prototype classic twins, there's absolutely NO WAY the classic twins have the master finish.

The classic twins were the first mass produced/mainstream release for the classic finish... and so it makes no sense for EPCC to claim that the decks use the master finish.

The Sharps had diamond finish written on their box, despite being the very first‎ deck to utilise the classic, but that appears to be purely because the term "classic finish" had not been coined yet. That wasn't the case with the classic twins though.

Forget the box, just touching the cards alone should be enough to determine that the classic finish has been used and not the master finish. Unlike USPCC, where linoid finish, air cushion, cambric, and half a dozen other names mean exactly the same thing, master finish and classic finish are nowhere near the same.‎

But yeah, I do totally agree that the Brown Quality deck is nothing like anything from USPCC. Definitely a lot more like LPCC and EPCC output.‎
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
HolyJJ, you are correct.  I was working off my memory, not the actual box in front of me.  It is indeed Classic Finish on the Classic Twins.

As far as finish differences, stay tuned - and if you haven't yet, join 52+J.  I'm working on an article for CARD CULTURE that should be out in the July issue, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2015, 06:18:37 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Are cards treated after printing at all? NOCs feel kinda greasy to the touch to me..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:16:17 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Are cards treated after printing at all? NOCs feel kinda greasy to the touch to me..

It's just the coating on the cards.  Cards like the new NOCs from Expert PCC have a much different feel from cards by USPC.  USPC's Magic Finish is slick, slick, slick, while the finish on EPCC and LPCC decks tends to have a variable blend of slip and traction, allowing for a greater degree of versatility in application.  I like Magic Finish myself but I know some people who can't stand it, considering it to be way too slippery out of the box. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:35:44 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

It's just the coating on the cards.  Cards like the new NOCs from Expert PCC have a much different feel from cards by USPC.  USPC's Magic Finish is slick, slick, slick, while the finish on EPCC and LPCC decks tends to have a variable blend of slip and traction, allowing for a greater degree of versatility in application.  I like Magic Finish myself but I know some people who can't stand it, considering it to be way too slippery out of the box.

Magic finish is great, but the coating doesn't last long. I used the virts 15 when I got them, I have to say I love them when I got it out of the box. After a few uses I found that they start to clump and very sensitive to temperature. But when I used NOC v3s they don't have that problem.
Back for more

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Magic finish is great, but the coating doesn't last long. I used the virts 15 when I got them, I have to say I love them when I got it out of the box. After a few uses I found that they start to clump and very sensitive to temperature. But when I used NOC v3s they don't have that problem.

I know that Magic Finish has a decent amount of durability - but doesn't hold a candle to the decks from Legends and Expert.  When I got the first Legends deck as a gift from Lawrence Sullivan, that thing was still going strong a year later when the second version was released!  And that was with some regular usage - I even occasionally carried them as part of my set of "performing" decks I always have at hand.

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Couldn't agree more  :)
I was actually disappointed with Virts 15 I thought they could last much longer..
I am happy with my brown Quality Bee deck so far. It is very similar to LPCC or EPCC deck
Back for more