Pagan - New Deck from Uusi (KS)

Author (Read 13644 times)

Re: Pagan - New Deck from Uusi (KS)
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don -  Did you suggest to them to bleed out the back for a more vintage theme?  Tell them to make the KoH the last card to reveal.  It will make everyone go crazy with anticipation.  The murdered oh sorry suicide king is the most popular card.   

They decided on the borderless back - I helped them choose the scale for the repeating pattern on the back, to create a better "illusion spread effect" like you get when fanning Bee Diamond Backs.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Gawd, that deck is amazing. I've always found Pagan and Northern European culture crazy cool, so this deck looks perfect to me.

Uusi, HOW do you keep doing it?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Don - I do have to say nice job.  Any more tidbits you can disclose that you helped them with.  Like did you tell them to keep with the traditional elements of the court cards. Did Erik take you up on your offer?  Probably not his Kickstarter is almost over, but I did like your response.  It was like "Sure, I can tell you what I think, but you got to pay me"  Classic.  He has some very good talent; I've watched his google hangouts, but the backs of his cards look like simple collages. I'm surprised Erik didn't give them more direction or maybe he didn't watch Shane. I don't know....

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don - I do have to say nice job.  Any more tidbits you can disclose that you helped them with.  Like did you tell them to keep with the traditional elements of the court cards. Did Erik take you up on your offer?  Probably not his Kickstarter is almost over, but I did like your response.  It was like "Sure, I can tell you what I think, but you got to pay me"  Classic.  He has some very good talent; I've watched his google hangouts, but the backs of his cards look like simple collages. I'm surprised Erik didn't give them more direction or maybe he didn't watch Shane. I don't know....

Thank you.

The Uusi team know about the traditional design elements of Anglo-American playing cards.  It's something we discussed on the Bohemia deck, and they haven't forgotten it at all.  But I've not seen all the courts yet, especially as Linnea is still painting them, so I couldn't tell you if they replicated all the traditional court card elements.

As far as Erik: 1) wrong topic, and 2) I can neither confirm nor deny anything - I don't discuss anyone's business with the world at large unless I'm promoting something.

EDIT: I should clarify regarding the Pagan art - the work being done is just finishing touches; the art's nearly completed.  There are a few gaps in the image of the uncut sheet, but we'll get to see them very soon.  The Pagan deck is very much on track for a timely completion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:06:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »

Sharpie

Anyone seen what this Collectors Box looks like?
I've been searching for the Friends of the Family box they had on the Royal Optiks KS for a while. Love that design.
Anyone who has one, I'm willing to trade lots of amazing stuff for it.  :D
See it here.

S

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 02:58:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Anyone seen what this Collectors Box looks like?
I've been searching for the Friends of the Family box they had on the Royal Optiks KS for a while. Love that design.
Anyone who has one, I'm willing to trade lots of amazing stuff for it.  :D
See it here.

S

Yeah, those are some gorgeous boxes.  If you're very lucky, maybe they'll decide to do as they have before and commit to making a few more - but don't hold your breath!  That's not an official news release, it's just my thoughts on the topic, and they've not said a single word to me as of yet about doing so.  It's certainly not like the demand isn't there, but I know Peter's said these are VERY TIME-CONSUMING to make, requiring many man-hours for each handmade box.

Even those two-deck cases aren't easily created, and they go for $225 at retail - http://uusi.us/collections/objects/products/redwood-playing-card-case.  If this "brick box" was available, I'd say it would cost a good deal more.

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 06:46:14 AM »

Sharpie

Yes. I am well aware. :(

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
They are offering a very limited gilded deck right now and they are going fast.  pricey but i could not resist

22 KT Gold Gilded Pagan Decks We thought it would be fun to offer the Pagan deck with gilded edges.  We are only producing 50 of these 22KT gilded & numbered decks with their own special seal and are offering 30 of them for this project.  The gilded KS decks will all be LE Pagan Dark decks and will be $75 each. If you want to add one of these decks to your reward, please message us first!! They are extremely limited in quantity. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:34:37 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Couldn't resist either. Pagan has been the one project I've gone well over my budget for and I reckon it's worth it :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Yea, I had to get one too.  You just don't see them in modern times.  I talked to Tiffany and she said you need a minimum order of 15,000 decks to get gilded edges and the price goes up by more than $2.50 a deck.  Probably more now since the quote is so old.  I sent Uusi a message asking if USPCC relaxed the minimums.  In the research I've done, it was not uncommon for a first run to be in gilded edges a hundred years ago.  If USPCC could make gilded edges in limited amounts, it would set a new standard.  Today if we have the same cards with a different tuck box and make a 1000 of them and of course say the word "Limited"  people loss there minds...

Edit: They said I have one, but didn't mention the USPCC.  So I can assume they are making them themselves which is fine I hope they made many prototypes and perfected the technique.  Besides the USPCC requires you to have a white border with gilded edges which they do not have.

This information is old and maybe outdated.

Gilding: Gold and Silver foil gilding is available.  The base price for a custom deck with gilding is $4.60 per deck for 15,000 decks.  The paper for the deck has to be Aristocrat 300 and a special finish is necessary.  The artwork has to have a white border.  Extra time is needed for the gilding process, amount of time necessary depends on order quantity.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:29:36 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think they can whip up a gilded deck whenever they want. They made me just 1 a while ago simply because they were curious how it would look, so I'd wager this is more an issue of "how well they know and like you" as opposed to a technical limitation. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member
I must say this. I love that box very, very much. I knew I should have backed this.

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I must say this. I love that box very, very much. I knew I should have backed this.

You can still back the project, there's still 5 days left :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I think he is talking about the collector's box which is not available

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
They have filled all 30 deck orders and are setting up a waiting list in case any people that have scooped it up don't adjusted their pledges.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

Leif

• Elite Member

You can still back the project, there's still 5 days left :)

I think he is talking about the collector's box which is not available

Actually, Nurul is right, I meant the Pagan box, I clicked the wrong link, (Sharpies), and thought it was over. But that collectors box is also very cool.

I have to think about this, there's so many decks out there, that I like at the moment. It's hard to choose.

I generally prefer more standard looking courts, so these, although beautiful, are not my usual preference.

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Are you Kidding me?  These are second to Jackson.  Take the plunge grab a few.  These will go up in value.  Probably more in future because they are less well known....

edit: value.  yea, yea Thanks Don.  I got a English major coming over tomorrow to check my rewards for gammer and misspellings.  Don't want to look like a Fool even though I'm selling Fool's
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:23:36 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This information is old and maybe outdated.

Gilding: Gold and Silver foil gilding is available.  The base price for a custom deck with gilding is $4.60 per deck for 15,000 decks.  The paper for the deck has to be Aristocrat 300 and a special finish is necessary.  The artwork has to have a white border.  Extra time is needed for the gilding process, amount of time necessary depends on order quantity.

Yes, this is out of date.  They use gold paint for the edges, not foil, and Aristocrat 300 isn't even a stock they offer anymore.  But the huge minimum you have down correctly.

They must have either did it themselves or hired a third party to do it for them.  Linnea mentioned that she'd love to have some of the decks done with gilding but that USPC's massive minimum and markup made it impossible to do it with them.

Are you Kidding me?  These are second to Jackson.  Take the plunge grab a few.  These will go up in valve.  Probably more in future because they are less well known....

Second to Jackson?  Jackson's good, no doubt, but some would beg to differ!

If these do go up in valve, won't the valve get clogged?  :))

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:41 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

These will go up in valve.  Probably more in future because they are less well known....

Don you old Fogy.
Get with the times and understand what these kids are hip to today.
All you understand is your interwebs.
He is talking about Steam! Valve's online game streaming site.
He is saying if these are as popular as it looks like they will be, Valve will pick them up digitalize them and put them on Steam.

JEEZ Sometimes you can be so obtuse.

"Man on the Moon" 

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

These will go up in valve.  Probably more in future because they are less well known....

Don you old Fogy.
Get with the times and understand what these kids are hip to today.
All you understand is your interwebs.
He is talking about Steam! Valve's online game streaming site.
He is saying if these are as popular as it looks like they will be, Valve will pick them up digitalize them and put them on Steam.

JEEZ Sometimes you can be so obtuse.

"Man on the Moon"

Bro, ya killin' me...  :))

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Don.. I had asked Linnea the question yesterday about who would do the gilded decks and this was her reply

We will be hand gilding the decks here at the Uusi studio. It is an extremely laborious and meticulous process that takes a considerable amount of time to execute. We have expierience in hand gilding and have really wanted to offer one of our decks gilded and thought Pagan was perfect for it. As far as USPCC goes in terms of gilding, you have to order at least 10,000 gilded decks or more. Yikes!

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don.. I had asked Linnea the question yesterday about who would do the gilded decks and this was her reply

We will be hand gilding the decks here at the Uusi studio. It is an extremely laborious and meticulous process that takes a considerable amount of time to execute. We have expierience in hand gilding and have really wanted to offer one of our decks gilded and thought Pagan was perfect for it. As far as USPCC goes in terms of gilding, you have to order at least 10,000 gilded decks or more. Yikes!

Right on, man!  They are artisans, and they know what they're doing.  If they say they can gild decks, they can gild decks!  But they probably shouldn't have told anyone, because now they're going to have deck creators banging on their door asking for their gilding services!

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

Firdawesome

• True Member
They're gonna be offering gilded Pagan decks?! Oh Uusi it's so easy to love you.

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm guessing the gilding is "pure collector" here right? I can't imagine you can shuffle those.

Not my cup of tea, but I love the regular cards (and I was lucky enough to get one of those wooden boxes too!)
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
They're gonna be offering gilded Pagan decks?! Oh Uusi it's so easy to love you.

they already did and they are sold out for now.  Only 30 decks were offered