You are Here:
Oracle - Mystifying Playing Cards by Chris Ovdiyenko

Author (Read 9968 times)

Oracle - Mystifying Playing Cards by Chris Ovdiyenko
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Chris Ovdiyenko, the creator of the Calaveras playing cards, has just launched his new project on Kickstarter, called the Oracle playing cards. Project goal of $20,000.

Introduction directly taken from the project's page:

A NEW deck of USPCC playing cards based on the spiritualist movement.

Talking boards, spirit photography, seances, ectoplasm, and levitating tables—the spiritualist movement has a rich history. I want to capture some of that history in a deck of USPCC playing cards.

The spiritualist movement grew out of mesmerism—which is what hypnosis used to be called. But with so much loss of life with the civil war, the spanish flu, and WWI, spiritualism became the hope for many across generations to contact more than the subconscious mind. It was a chance to reach their loved ones who had passed on. Many spiritualists believed they were able to reach "through the veil" and contact the spirit world.

Considered by some to be at best an interesting parlor distraction, by others as outright fraud, still many more viewed it as a chance to find solace, comfort, and closure to those whose lives meant the most and who's absence was unbearable. In disguise, Mary Todd Lincoln went to a spirit photographer and captured an image of her with her late husband. It's also rumored that she held as many as eight seances in the White House. Arthur Conan Doyle was a devout spiritualist (despite the analytical and deductive reasoning of his most famous protagonist). Houdini's wife held seances for years after her husband promised before his death to find a way to contact her if a way was there to be found.

All this history has for me added a lot of meaning and depth to this project. I hope you find it as interesting as I do ;)

Early bird prices:
1 deck: $11 (int shipping +$7) Limited to 200 backers
2 decks: $20 (int shipping + $12) Limited to 200 backers

Normal prices:
1 deck: $15
2 decks: $25

Initial impressions: I am extremely impressed with this deck. Ouija boards aren't my cuppa tea but the artwork execution is done superbly. (Pictures attached below). The tuck box is also very appealing and i can already expect a high quality matte texture/embossing tuck box reminiscent to the Ultimate deck by Stranger and Danger.

Personally, i'm in for 2 decks right now. The international prices are pretty steep, though justified by USPS' upcoming price rise. Very excited!
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

Re: Oracle - Mystifying Playing Cards by Chris Ovdiyenko
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »

Ovdiyenko

• Newcomer
Hey Fred - thanks so much for inviting me and for posting Oracle! I'm super excited for the project!! Sorry about the int. shipping rates, but yes as you pointed out the rates are going up. I also did what I could to make them lower than Calaveras because i know people were thinking they were too high.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Fred - Your turning out to be the ambassador for Aethercards.   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894542039/oracle-mystifying-playing-cards?ref=category 

Ovdiyenko - It's always nice to see the creator.  I have a theory that most collectors want 2 decks.  One to save and one to open.  Your "2-way" back is nice even with the text.  "Rosabel believe"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:09:37 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like the design and concept, does the back actually say "Rosabelle Believe"? I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but if it indeed does, that's a great touch referencing Houdini on a deck with this particular theme.

.....and of course, Welcome to the site Chris  ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:09:37 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:51:25 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
No worries Chris, glad you could pop in. Dont hesitate to keep us updated on your latest court cards etc. We have many enthusiastic designers and people experienced in KS in general that will definitely be able to provide you with constructive comments and suggest possible improvements. While youre here, feel free to take a look around at the other threads. Every kickstarter project related to playing cards is pretty much covered here, you will be amazed with the depth of material contained here!

Enjoy your stay :)

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »

AndyCrofford

• Newcomer
Personally, i'm in for 2 decks right now. The international prices are pretty steep, though justified by USPS' upcoming price rise. Very excited!

These USPS price hikes are ridiculous. I recently shipped a single deck of cards to Australia and it was around $10. You would think in today's global economy the prices would be much better.

Andy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

These USPS price hikes are ridiculous. I recently shipped a single deck of cards to Australia and it was around $10. You would think in today's global economy the prices would be much better.

Andy

Guess where i live? ;) Yeah. shipping shit hole that is Australia. I just spent over $30 shipping 3 decks to the UK. Granted it was with tracking and a faster delivery time but regardless, absolutely ridiculous.

On topic: Chris, what kind of stretch goals are you looking at?

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Andy

The company (yes, it's a company, not a branch of the government) has been losing money for decades.  They have to offer retailers bulk discounts to compete with the private carriers and at the same time people use email to the point that the personal letter is almost unheard of, as common as a buggy whip.  So yes, it has to keep raising prices or perish under its own weight.  While fewer people actually use the mail these days, they'd really miss it if it was gone...

So pick up a pen and write a letter for cryin' out loud!  :))

Chris - welcome to the board.  Please check out the "Introduce Yourself" board and make a new topic of your own.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Correct me if i'm wrong Don, and i'm saying this with no prior research or knowledge. But i am almost certain such sectors are heavily subsidised by the Government.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Correct me if i'm wrong Don, and i'm saying this with no prior research or knowledge. But i am almost certain such sectors are heavily subsidised by the Government.

It's subsidized, yes, and has to seek government permission to raise rates, but it's not a part of the US Government.  It hasn't been for a number of decades now.  Many industries are subsidized by the government - that doesn't make them government-owned and -operated.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:18:46 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I never said or implied that they were Government owned. Increase in rates do not equal greater profit for the company. The rate increases are basically mandatory, to keep up with yearly inflation and thus maintain the real income of its employees/revenue of the company, thus the Government wont have to increase its subsidised amount on the basis of inflation. I did IB Economics in High school and am doing a double degree in Law and Commerce in University so i would know (:

Lets get back on topic.

Observation: This deck is a very subtle one way back.

Suggestion: Chris, i would highly suggest making the pips pop a little more. They blend a bit too much into the background and thus loses some of its visibility/practicability. Perhaps maintain the small pip under the number card and fatten the border on the larger pip? Alternatively, you could keep the 'bright' red pip border but darken the inside to a blood red or increase the width of the individual lines inside the pip. 

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Fred I don't see any pips.  Can you post a link?

AndyCrofford - I'm going to use Australia as my base line for international shipping.  It's the most expensive.  I wish Canada and USA would merge with shipping.  Canada is always getting screwed with international shipping on Kickstarter.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Fred I don't see any pips.  Can you post a link?

AndyCrofford - I'm going to use Australia as my base line for international shipping.  It's the most expensive.  I wish Canada and USA would merge with shipping.  Canada is always getting screwed with international shipping on Kickstarter.

I guess you missed the part about getting back on topic...

The link is that it's a Kickstarter project.  No one posted it here, but we have an entire topic dedicated to current deck projects, including Kickstarter.  It's called the New Deck Report.  All the links you need there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:28:51 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

Ovdiyenko

• Newcomer
Hey Fred - great point about the pips - I'm fixing that.

I haven't put "Rosabel Believe"  - but the art for the QoD is indeed Houdini's wife at an actual seance. That would be kinda' cool to incorporate the text

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Here are some pips...  or use metallic ink as someone suggested as a stretch goal.  That would make them pop out.  Last time I checked, it's .04 per ink per deck... 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:21:27 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

whaam

• True Member

Calling a spirit...calling a spirit, any out there ?
Idea is original and there are a few things I like about this deck so let's start with those;  Courts are shifted to the side and that really works well on this design, we get a feeling there's more people around the table, nice.
And number cards, pips going round and round...great for this deck.

Even though the chosen color fits for creating the suited atmosphere..., it's all too dark, especially with those wallpaper pattern..., too much, too distracting.., could've been done more effective in some other way. Numbers, indices are a little too small, I think.

Nice work at selling the story though, again. Chris is the creator of Calaveras and I liked the theme on those but...disliked the card design, mostly for the reason that courts weren't mirrored, those were drawings, skull art disguised as playing cards.
No idea how Calaveras got to +$60,000.., I bet he was surprised too  :o

Oracle will get funded even with a $20,000 goal....but next time, backers will probably look for something different from you,...or maybe not :)

Good luck

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:58 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Come Joint me in the *The Card Lounge* for an interview with Chris Ovdiyenko
Only in The New Deck Report
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Great interview Rob.  Awesome work you're doing over there at the NDR.  Keep it up!

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great interview Rob.  Awesome work you're doing over there at the NDR.  Keep it up!

What he said, well done Rob  :D

New deck "Oracle" - Mystifying playing cards - Kickstarter promoting
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 02:17:37 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hey guys, I just wanted to promote a Kickstarter deck I am really amped about, a project I started backing and have become passionately excited about seeing come to life.

The Oracle Deck, a USPCC custom project themed around mysticism and the mediums of paranormal communication, beautifully designed by an experience card designer who is already familiar with successfully creating a deck of cads through Kickstarter.

Here's the link, I hope you guys don't mind me promoting this, but as a collector of cards that is really excited about this deck I really want to help out as much as I can to see how far we can get it!!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894542039/oracle-mystifying-playing-cards
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: New deck "Oracle" - Mystifying playing cards - Kickstarter promoting
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:41 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
By all means you should push this deck if you like it.  However there's already a topic for it.  Complete with comments directly from the designer.  I'm certain you will see your topic merged or deleted once the Mods see it.  See attached.   Thanks and welcome to the forum. 

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/oracle-mystifying-playing-cards-by-chris-ovdiyenko/

Re: New deck "Oracle" - Mystifying playing cards - Kickstarter promoting
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 06:04:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
By all means you should push this deck if you like it.  However there's already a topic for it.  Complete with comments directly from the designer.  I'm certain you will see your topic merged or deleted once the Mods see it.  See attached.   Thanks and welcome to the forum. 

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/oracle-mystifying-playing-cards-by-chris-ovdiyenko/

Topics have been merged.

Hey guys, I just wanted to promote a Kickstarter deck I am really amped about, a project I started backing and have become passionately excited about seeing come to life.

The Oracle Deck, a USPCC custom project themed around mysticism and the mediums of paranormal communication, beautifully designed by an experience card designer who is already familiar with successfully creating a deck of cads through Kickstarter.

Here's the link, I hope you guys don't mind me promoting this, but as a collector of cards that is really excited about this deck I really want to help out as much as I can to see how far we can get it!!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894542039/oracle-mystifying-playing-cards

Your enthusiasm is a great thing, but please take note if there's already a topic before starting a new one.  It's easier when later searching for information on a deck if all the info about it is in one place - in one topic.

Welcome to the boards!  You should head over to the "Introduce Yourself" board and post a new topic there about yourself, let the gang get to know you a little better!  :))

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This is something Chris added to his project a couple days ago
There's been a lot of requests for a Bicycle version of Oracle, but I've done a little more than just create a branded version. This is a Limited Edition DELUXE package with LUXOR Foil, metallic ink, and embossed tuck case, a double sided wooden mini-spirit board with authenticity and edition number on back, and an antique copper-finish planchette. This is package is add on-only for $28, $34 for International backers. See add ons at the bottom of the page for more info and how to add this to your pledge.

...the gaff card and card cover coin($10).

...and custom seal.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
See, now THAT'S a quality add-on, and the price is not bad when you consider what you get in return.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That is pretty fantastic.......the seal is great!