Why do you do it?

Author (Read 744 times)

Why do you do it?
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I'm sure this thread has been made before but I couldn't find it. Anyway the 2? year anniversary of aether is coming soon so I want to know, What made you start collecting and join the online community?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

Re: Why do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
My love for magic made me start collecting cards. I stumbled across this forum through UC and I've never gone back there.
I've only been collecting for a couple years myself, kind of a late bloomer to the game. I'd never even heard of bicycles until like 3 years ago. Had to deal with crappy waddington branded decks and cheap plastic decks from the post office and outlet stores. Then I saw a brick of bikes at Costco, I suppose that's when it truly began. I really started getting into it, as of now I have over 400 odd decks. Some of that collection is thanks to aether cards, without this forum, I wouldn't have known about some of them.
So I thank you Aethercards and all it's members, moderators, admins, Don and Alex :D
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

So I thank you Aethercards and all it's members, moderators, admins, Don and Alex :D

You're welcome, bro.

I've said my story before, so I'll keep it short.  Summer of 2010, I thought about reviving my old poker night.  I remembered seeing a cool-looking black deck of cards on an ad for a poker website recently, so I did some Google searching and discovered Ellusionist.  I hemmed and hawed for a while, but by December, I had some extra cash so I took the plunge and placed an order.  It arrived on Christmas Eve.  It's been downhill ever since and I'm sitting on about 1,700 decks of cards, in perhaps 600-700 different varieties.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:22:10 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I had dabbled with collecting playing cards in the past, nothing major. Collecting cards came from a combination of my love for magic when I was younger and my general need to collect stuff ( I have always had a collection of some sort growing up ). Around the time Alex started up this forum was a little after I had decided to really dive into collecting cards, I thought this forum was going to be a great tool for knowledge so I decided to participate right off the get go. Soon after, Alex asked me to help Moderate and the rest is history.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Anne Stokes brought me to card collecting and eventually here. I also collect Zippo Lighters and Anne Stokes has a line of Zippos out, I've always loved her fantasy work, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy geek at heart so I've always loved the creativity in things. While looking around for Stokes Zippo's I came across her Collection Deck, which brought me to google, then Ellusionist,  Theroy 11, and I was hooked on the variety and creativity.  Being a fan of magic didn't hurt either and I'm kind of reliving my younger days in that respect.

Why here? Well I have to admit I poked around a few sites, but seemed to feel more at home here and was getting answers to my questions rather than being scoffed at as a noob. You guys have a great community, and I've said it before, I haven't been around long, but it feels like I have. Kudos to the powers that be and the community for sharing, helping and having a genuine interest in other members.

So thank you  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Anne Stokes brought me to card collecting and eventually here. I also collect Zippo Lighters and Anne Stokes has a line of Zippos out, I've always loved her fantasy work, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy geek at heart so I've always loved the creativity in things. While looking around for Stokes Zippo's I came across her Collection Deck, which brought me to google, then Ellusionist,  Theroy 11, and I was hooked on the variety and creativity.  Being a fan of magic didn't hurt either and I'm kind of reliving my younger days in that respect.

Why here? Well I have to admit I poked around a few sites, but seemed to feel more at home here and was getting answers to my questions rather than being scoffed at as a noob. You guys have a great community, and I've said it before, I haven't been around long, but it feels like I have. Kudos to the powers that be and the community for sharing, helping and having a genuine interest in other members.

So thank you  ;)

Aw, you're makin' me blush...  :))

It's very easy to be dismissive to a n00b and make him feel like a leper.  Given enough time, you get fewer n00bs that stay and become contributing members, and stagnation sets in, followed eventually by the death of the community.

It's even easier to remember that you, too, were once a newbie, a.k.a. a new member, a new enthusiast, as was everyone else, and to take pleasure in sharing knowledge with everyone and giving them respect as fellow enthusiasts.  And the occasional ribbing on the LOLAQ...  Everyone, right down to the very first poster, was at one time the new guy/gal - no member springs into existence with a hundred posts under their belt.  I prefer empathy over derision, and the pleasure of growing this hobby we all enjoy so much.  Granted, it gives me more people to compete with when trying to buy the next limited-edition deck, but I can live with that...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:54:01 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

So thank you  ;)

I have to say thank you sparkz, cos you kind of got me interested in zippo lighters now :D
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:14:32 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

So thank you  ;)

I have to say thank you sparkz, cos you kind of got me interested in zippo lighters now :D

I'm sorry, lol.......well if there is anything i can help you with just  send me a message