You are Here:
Dan and Dave: Woody Clip

Author (Read 2687 times)

Dan and Dave: Woody Clip
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
There may be some controversy concerning the Buck twin's reputation but their card clips are straight up sex. I love the carbon fibre one best but this new one is very luxurious.

The all new Woody Clip is engineered from a light industrial-strength aluminum, beautifully inlayed with 100% genuine veneer.

Each wood panel is laser cut from a collection of exotic woods and then sanded, stained and lacquered to perfection. It is the most luxurious Card Clip we have ever produced.

Handcrafted in Los Angeles. No two Woody Clips are the same. Designed to hold 52 playing cards inside their case.

http://shop.dananddave.com/woody-clip.html

dat price tag doe.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

Re: Dan and Dave: Woody Clip
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There may be some controversy concerning the Buck twin's reputation but their card clips are straight up sex. I love the carbon fibre one best but this new one is very luxurious.

The all new Woody Clip is engineered from a light industrial-strength aluminum, beautifully inlayed with 100% genuine veneer.

Each wood panel is laser cut from a collection of exotic woods and then sanded, stained and lacquered to perfection. It is the most luxurious Card Clip we have ever produced.

Handcrafted in Los Angeles. No two Woody Clips are the same. Designed to hold 52 playing cards inside their case.

http://shop.dananddave.com/woody-clip.html

dat price tag doe.

So, the Woody Clip gives you a woody?  :))

Their clips are not cheap.  They used to use Joe Porper to make them - they made no mention of it this time.

A ha!  In the right column, there's a listing of "Similar items by Joe Porper"...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Their clips are not cheap.  They used to use Joe Porper to make them - they made no mention of it this time.

A ha!  In the right column, there's a listing of "Similar items by Joe Porper"...

Also in the photo along the spine it says made by Joe Porper ;)

-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Dan and Dave produce a high line of luxurious goods, and for that price tag, I believe you're getting your money's worth. Not only is every clip unique, they add a high sense of class to any performance. I'd easily picture someone using it a like a wedding reception or something.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Dan and Dave produce a high line of luxurious goods, and for that price tag, I believe you're getting your money's worth. Not only is every clip unique, they add a high sense of class to any performance. I'd easily picture someone using it a like a wedding reception or something.

Using practically any good-condition deck clip would have the same effect, simply because unless you're performing for magicians and cardists, the audience is unlikely to have seen ANY card clips before.  I bust out a scratched-up Masters clip from E and get oohs and ahhs for it.

It's strictly a luxury item.  It does the same job as something a great deal cheaper with zero improvement in basic effectiveness and purpose.  Sure, it looks fancier, but the less fancy versions would look fancy to anyone who's never heard of a deck clip.  It's only in comparison to existing clips that it seems fancier - but your audience will likely have nothing with which to compare it.

Luxury items such as these are not necessarily bad things - they can be quite attractive, acting like functional works of art.  But your statement that a buyer would be getting their money's worth is somewhat inaccurate, unless they value the simple appearance of the object above all other factors.  It's not even like comparing a Jaguar XJ8 to a Toyota Camry - there's countless improvements in the XJ8 not just appearance but also comfort, accessories and performance.  In the end, though, this clip performs no better than most others - and in fact would perform not as well as a Porper clip with his patented "spring spine" carved from solid aluminum, because of how that spring applies better pressure and holds shape over time.  Thus, it's not that great of a value to most people when compared to the basic-model Porper clip.  To think otherwise would only be fooling yourself.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:58:45 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Of course, you must've known that I wasn't talking about the practicality. Obviously, I know that card clips are card clips, having the exact same function and purpose. I was merely speaking in terms of luxury. Surely, you mentioned a few solid points, such as the average spectator being awed by standard clips, but to average magicians, who are well aware of the many variations to card clips out there, these clips take it to another level, providing more class.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Of course, you must've known that I wasn't talking about the practicality. Obviously, I know that card clips are card clips, having the exact same function and purpose. I was merely speaking in terms of luxury. Surely, you mentioned a few solid points, such as the average spectator being awed by standard clips, but to average magicians, who are well aware of the many variations to card clips out there, these clips take it to another level, providing more class.

So, in other words, you say you're getting your money's worth because you can impress fellow magicians?

When I hear someone talking about getting their money's worth, it usually refers to the value received from the item compared to its cost.  Based solely on that, I fail to see how one is getting their money's worth.  I could take the cheap "wood paneling" stickers that car makers were using back in the 1970s and carefully apply them to a deck clip to achieve the same exact effect in terms of presenting a luxury look but at a fraction of the price.  Considering that most deck clips are pocketed immediately after extracting the deck, THAT would be getting your money's worth.

Let me make it really simple.  Factoring in the materials and the labor, one can mass-produce a clip that looks nearly exactly like this and retail it for LESS THAN HALF what is being charged for these Woody Clips.  Is the D&D logo worth more than $60 to you?  Is that "getting your money's worth?"

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I could take the cheap "wood paneling" stickers that car makers were using back in the 1970s and carefully apply them to a deck clip to achieve the same exact effect in terms of presenting a luxury look but at a fraction of the price.

Now if you could that would you mind doing that with these? I would love to show off my Ostrich or Stingray clips. :)) According to Dan, these are way too expensive to be produced for public sale. Picture of the Stingray clip.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:58:20 PM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
So, in other words, you say you're getting your money's worth because you can impress fellow magicians?
Simple put, yes.

When I hear someone talking about getting their money's worth, it usually refers to the value received from the item compared to its cost. 
Everyone has a different perspective on getting your money's worth. Some people value functionality, while others value a little bit more.

Let me make it really simple.  Factoring in the materials and the labor, one can mass-produce a clip that looks nearly exactly like this and retail it for LESS THAN HALF what is being charged for these Woody Clips.  Is the D&D logo worth more than $60 to you?  Is that "getting your money's worth?"
Why do some people buy a $100 pair of Nike's for running, while they can just buy a $50 pair of Sketchers for the same purpose, or even a $20 or even $10 pair of running shoes from Wal-Mart?

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Because the sketchers and the ones from walmart will not last as long.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I could take the cheap "wood paneling" stickers that car makers were using back in the 1970s and carefully apply them to a deck clip to achieve the same exact effect in terms of presenting a luxury look but at a fraction of the price.

Now if you could that would you mind doing that with these? I would love to show off my Ostrich or Stingray clips. :)) According to Dan, these are way too expensive to be produced for public sale. Picture of the Stingray clip.

They actually said that?  I didn't think there was such a thing...  :))

I have to say, though, with that white stripe, the stingray bears a strong resemblance to painted asphalt...  Next time the Dept. of Transportation is laying new roads in your area, just roll your deck clip in it and see what sticks!

As far as Ostrich - you find me a company that makes adhesive plastic that looks like ostrich skin, then it can be done...

On a side note - ever try ostrich meat?  It's not bad - "Os-Trim" is like a "Slim Jim" made from ostrich meat; more protein and less fat.  Health food supplement stores carry it.

Simple put, yes.

Try performing better - that works wonders!  :))

When I hear someone talking about getting their money's worth, it usually refers to the value received from the item compared to its cost. 
Everyone has a different perspective on getting your money's worth. Some people value functionality, while others value a little bit more.

Hmm... aside from a few strips of wood, you're not actually getting more of anything, except perhaps money extracted from your accounts.

Why do some people buy a $100 pair of Nike's for running, while they can just buy a $50 pair of Sketchers for the same purpose, or even a $20 or even $10 pair of running shoes from Wal-Mart?

John gives a very solid answer to this below...

Because the sketchers and the ones from walmart will not last as long.

We're not talking about something that actually does the job BETTER.  We're talking about something that does the job PRETTIER.  And only marginally so, since the deck clip usually goes right back into the pocket.

Now, when you're talking about people spending, say, $500 on a pair of Nike shoes when a $100 pair will do the same job, that's a different story.  Why do some people buy the more expensive pair?

Two reasons - conspicuous consumption and an inability to determine what a true value really is.

It's not even like one can have bragging rights about owning a rare item - unlike something like the David Blaine leather-wrapped clips, the Woody Clip isn't a limited edition.  If I see someone take out a black leather David Blaine clip, I know that the clip is not only rare, but it was originally sold with a set of gaff cards that couldn't be obtained anywhere else other than from David's own hands - that actually means something; there's some value there.  The minute I see a fellow card man or woman whip out a Woody Clip in an effort to impress me, the only thought that will run through my mind will be "Wow, this person must have more money and less common sense than they know what to do with..."

TL;DR - The Woody Clip will perhaps give you a woody, but not much else that any other clip couldn't...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:26:44 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:53 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

They actually said that?  I didn't think there was such a thing...  :))

I have to say, though, with that white stripe, the stingray bears a strong resemblance to painted asphalt...  Next time the Dept. of Transportation is laying new roads in your area, just roll your deck clip in it and see what sticks!

As far as Ostrich - you find me a company that makes adhesive plastic that looks like ostrich skin, then it can be done...

On a side note - ever try ostrich meat?  It's not bad - "Os-Trim" is like a "Slim Jim" made from ostrich meat; more protein and less fat.  Health food supplement stores carry it.

Yeah they mentioned in a recent "Coffee with Dan & Dave" that a few of those type of clips (thinking about it, the ostrich might have been a joke  :D ) but they were too expensive to be made even as special orders for customers. For friends only is my guess. And all the stingrays I've ever petted at the zoo or wherever else have always been smooth, not, as you so aptly described, "painted asphalt."

And no, haven't tried it but coincidentally planning to a few nights from now. :))

It's not even like one can have bragging rights about owning a rare item - unlike something like the David Blaine leather-wrapped clips, the Woody Clip isn't a limited edition.  If I see someone take out a black leather David Blaine clip, I know that the clip is not only rare, but it was originally sold with a set of gaff cards that couldn't be obtained anywhere else other than from David's own hands - that actually means something; there's some value there.  The minute I see a fellow card man or woman whip out a Woody Clip in an effort to impress me, the only thought that will run through my mind will be "Wow, this person must have more money and less common sense than they know what to do with..."

TL;DR - The Woody Clip will perhaps give you a woody, but not much else that any other clip couldn't...

I doubt anyone with decent card clip knowledge would consider these rare or limited edition. Granted, these clips probably aren't as abundant as a "standard" Porper clip, but they definitely aren't rare or hard to get. And I feel like it's been mentioned on this very thread but either way, the point is still valid: if you're not using this to "impress" other magicians (who should already know these are expensive, not rare), then the same effect could be achieved by other clips as well. The ones that come to mind are, yes, D&D clips like their Carbon Clip and (I swear they had) a leather clip. Also, this fancy clip they gave to Daniel Madison.

No doubt I'd love to own a Woody Clip seeing as my plain black Porper clip is that, plain. I just wouldn't spend the money they're asking for.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:52:24 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I thought I would chime in on this one  :)

Don has very great points that I really enjoyed reading but lets cut through all the technical back and forth nonsense and call it what it is.  Vanity! 
Lucky for D&D they only need to sell a hand full to pay for the production cost of an entire batch.  I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing if I had a brand like they do.  But it's all playing into your vanity and keeping there brand in the forefront.

Cheers 

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Don has very great points that I really enjoyed reading but lets cut through all the technical back and forth nonsense and call it what it is.  Vanity! 
Deal.

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My big question would be this: does anyone have those cork-covered clips they were selling?  How did THEY hold up over time?

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:34 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
My big question would be this: does anyone have those cork-covered clips they were selling?  How did THEY hold up over time?

LMAO!

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »

atsquare

I bought a cork clip about 6 months. I'm not sure if I received a defect clip, but the cork started to peel from the corner.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I bought a cork clip about 6 months. I'm not sure if I received a defect clip, but the cork started to peel from the corner.

First post - welcome to the boards.

It doesn't surprise me that the cork started to peel off.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I haven't personally handled those cork clips I assume they wouldn't hold up long at all. They can't be impervious to scratches and dents unless it's cork in look only and not material.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

atsquare

I haven't personally handled those cork clips I assume they wouldn't hold up long at all. They can't be impervious to scratches and dents unless it's cork in look only and not material.

Yeah, it certainly didn't last long for me. Two months of moderate use and the clip started to peel. I recommend to stay clear of it as there are better clips out there.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Yeah, it certainly didn't last long for me. Two months of moderate use and the clip started to peel. I recommend to stay clear of it as there are better clips out there.

If you get the chance, could you upload a photo of the clip in its deteriorated state?
Forum Founder.

Re: Dan and Dave: Ostrich Wrapped Clip
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:13 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This was on facebook- exclusive members release 2 days ago

Also something coming soon
posted 10/3 titled "Magic Key"

..........and 6 hours ago titled "Fly Trap"

We hope to release it in the next few weeks. Cheers!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB