You are Here:
Working on a new deck...Steampunk Pirates

Author (Read 3537 times)

Working on a new deck...Steampunk Pirates
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:00:48 AM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Hey folks,

I wanted to announce that I'm gearing up to launch another Kickstarter project. After such a positive response to my first deck, Steampunk Cthulhu Bicycle cards http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370388468/steampunk-cthulhu-playing-cards, I'm working on a companion/sequel deck which I think will be called 'Steampunk Pirates.'

This will have a shared design scheme with complimenting color schemes, but all new and original art/illustrations. I'm not sure how common it is to do a 'set' of decks, but it's quite common in the video game and book world I'm coming from. Here's an example of the card back, and I'll post more and announce a launch date soon.

As I've done with previous decks, I will have a certain amount set at only $6 on launch day. Feedback appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:01:06 AM by hapaninja »
Nat Iwata

Re: Working on a new deck...Steampunk Pirates
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey folks,

I wanted to announce that I'm gearing up to launch another Kickstarter project. After such a positive response to my first deck, Steampunk Cthulhu Bicycle cards http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370388468/steampunk-cthulhu-playing-cards, I'm working on a companion/sequel deck which I think will be called 'Steampunk Pirates.'

This will have a shared design scheme with complimenting color schemes, but all new and original art/illustrations. I'm not sure how common it is to do a 'set' of decks, but it's quite common in the video game and book world I'm coming from. Here's an example of the card back, and I'll post more and announce a launch date soon.

As I've done with previous decks, I will have a certain amount set at only $6 on launch day. Feedback appreciated!

Well, it's a nice back.  It's hard to say much about it until we've seen more of the deck and its tuck box.

Your deck will seriously need to stand out head-and-shoulders above the others.  Steampunk is probably the most overused theme for Kickstarter decks (perhaps tied with zombies), while pirates would have been more popular if timed with a good swashbuckler movie hitting theaters or a popular novel of the same theme being released.  Many of the pirate-themed decks that have been proposed have been pretty lackluster - I don't think any have succeeded.  That can actually work in your favor.  It's not impossible to pull it off, but it has to be really, REALLY good, not simply nice.

People will want to see just how good this deck is before they consider backing.  Have all the basic design work done and at least 95% of it finalized, while being flexible to consider backer requests for changes.  Showing up with just a few cards might not be enough.  Do something I rarely see on KS: provide a link on the project page to a HIGH-RESOLUTION mock-up of the uncut sheet.  (Watermark it everywhere, of course.)  Not only will it be convincing to potential backers, it comes off as very professional when you're completely ready to roll decks off the presses from day one.  It helps inspire confidence that you know what you're doing and will deliver on time.

Oh, and give the deck a better name.  Make it as steampunk as you want, but don't use the word "steampunk" in the title.  Get inventive with titles - like "HRH Queen Victoria's Royal Privateers."  A privateer was basically a pirate, but in the service of a government and usually at a time of war.  They were given license to raid any vessels carrying supplies bound for enemy ports, giving other merchants pause before dealing in war goods with the other side.  Officially, they weren't part of the navy at all - they never flew their nation's flag - but they would have dealings with their nation's navy, trading supplies and getting intelligence on movements of enemy cargo ships (to target them) or war crafts (to avoid them).  Invent a real backstory for the deck on which to hang your title and it becomes a lot more interesting to a potential investor.

In fact, you could go whole hog on making a storyline - and printing it on the spot cards of the deck!  Make them look like pages from a captain's log or scrolls on the captain's desk, telling the story behind the characters in the deck as you read them in a specific order.  Then use the courts and jokers to show the characters in their full glory.  That would generate some interest beyond the card community, I think - and the most successful decks out there attract people who usually wouldn't buy a custom deck or even know such things exist.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:52:27 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:21:12 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Great design, though i would have thought it fit more as a King court card than the actual card back. Best of luck and keep us updated!
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Great design, though i would have thought it fit more as a King court card than the actual card back. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Excellent point.  The back should be something a little more traditional, a little nautical, and with just a dash of steampunk.  Few traditional card backs have characters on them that would be more at home on a court card's face.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the input and ideas.

I've done 2 successful decks already on KS, and while I do like the idea of having all of the cards done before launch, unfortunately I can't afford to. The whole point of doing the KS campaigns is to secure funding to create the deck, and I just can't commit the many many hours illustrating a deck takes unless I'm sure it's going to get funding. KS isn't a store, and people seem to understand that and have been very supportive of helping me create the deck as a community.

Though I agree that Steampunk can be overused, I've written and illustrated a Steampunk book that was recently published, and created the Steampunk Cthulhu deck which generated over $30k, so I do want to stick with the genre, as I've gained a significant following of Steampunk enthusiasts. Though, what you say about pirates is certainly something to consider, but I will make every effort to really make the deck beautiful in every regard.

The card back is non traditional, but my experience has been that my backers really like this approach. On my last card deck I suggested switching from characters to a more traditional design and there was almost a mutiny! People said they backed the deck BECAUSE it was unique, and were quite up and in arms over any potential change.

I like the storyline idea, and the ad cards would be a great place to do it! Maybe give the whole deck and cast of characters some sort of context?
Nat Iwata

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the input and ideas.

I've done 2 successful decks already on KS, and while I do like the idea of having all of the cards done before launch, unfortunately I can't afford to. The whole point of doing the KS campaigns is to secure funding to create the deck, and I just can't commit the many many hours illustrating a deck takes unless I'm sure it's going to get funding. KS isn't a store, and people seem to understand that and have been very supportive of helping me create the deck as a community.

Though I agree that Steampunk can be overused, I've written and illustrated a Steampunk book that was recently published, and created the Steampunk Cthulhu deck which generated over $30k, so I do want to stick with the genre, as I've gained a significant following of Steampunk enthusiasts. Though, what you say about pirates is certainly something to consider, but I will make every effort to really make the deck beautiful in every regard.

The card back is non traditional, but my experience has been that my backers really like this approach. On my last card deck I suggested switching from characters to a more traditional design and there was almost a mutiny! People said they backed the deck BECAUSE it was unique, and were quite up and in arms over any potential change.

I like the storyline idea, and the ad cards would be a great place to do it! Maybe give the whole deck and cast of characters some sort of context?

Don't get me wrong - this has the potential to be a great and successful deck.  It just needs a little something extra to make it truly stand out.

Placing the story on the ad cards could work.  I liked the idea of placing it on the spot cards, but I'm guessing you have plans for them already!  But definitely something to put it into context.  I still remember that guy who tried making a deck about superheroic characters that had zero backstory to them.  It floundered and failed.  The Cthulhu deck already has a story (several, in fact) upon which to hang, but this one needs a backstory, something to tie the characters together.  I've seen a number of "character" decks, particularly steampunk designs, with no story at all to give them a context other than the word "steampunk".  Adding a story will make this stand out above the others.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:46:32 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Wasn't this done in Disney Treasure Planet?  Except for the futuristic space bit.  I'm a huge Steampunk fan, but let's be honest here... historic pirates were at least a hundred years before the Victorian era, whereas steam works were present during the victorian era which is why that works.  I'd prefer to see a truly awesome pirate deck.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wasn't this done in Disney Treasure Planet?  Except for the futuristic space bit.  I'm a huge Steampunk fan, but let's be honest here... historic pirates were at least a hundred years before the Victorian era, whereas steam works were present during the victorian era which is why that works.  I'd prefer to see a truly awesome pirate deck.

Actually, some people have taken a few liberties and joined the genres.  It started with warfare involving powered dirigibles and some have taken it further to go back to watercraft.  Boil it down to brass tacks and it's not that implausible, since we STILL have piracy to this day...  Changes in technology have a way of generating changes in history when it comes to steampunk (or the real world).

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Actually, some people have taken a few liberties and joined the genres.  It started with warfare involving powered dirigibles and some have taken it further to go back to watercraft.  Boil it down to brass tacks and it's not that implausible, since we STILL have piracy to this day...  Changes in technology have a way of generating changes in history when it comes to steampunk (or the real world).

So I would be within reason to create an Ancient Egypt Cyber Punk deck? 

Just make an awesome deck... be it pirate or steam punk, if you combine the two..., I'll base my purchasing vote on the artwork and not the theme.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

So I would be within reason to create an Ancient Egypt Cyber Punk deck? 

Just make an awesome deck... be it pirate or steam punk, if you combine the two..., I'll base my purchasing vote on the artwork and not the theme.

Hey, if you can find a really creative way to pull it off, you could make Ancient Egypt Cyberpunk Candy Land Terminators...

You raise a very valid point about the artwork.  Make a great theme but with ugly art, you're going nowhere.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 12:01:29 AM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Hey guys, just wanted to share a little more about about the deck. I am going to be minting some coins, one of which will only be available with a limited print run version of the tuck, decked out with foil, emboss/deboss. Launch is on Sunday the 22nd at 2:30pm PST, and I'll be offering some great early backer specials, one in particular (literally just for one person to grab). Here's a look at the special edition deck:

Nat Iwata

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 07:01:24 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hey guys, just wanted to share a little more about about the deck. I am going to be minting some coins, one of which will only be available with a limited print run version of the tuck, decked out with foil, emboss/deboss. Launch is on Sunday the 22nd at 2:30pm PST, and I'll be offering some great early backer specials, one in particular (literally just for one person to grab). Here's a look at the special edition deck:

Glad to see you're not labeling the deck Black Flag as I think Henry Rollins might have issue.  :)  I have to say I love the metalman jolly roger on the tuckbox.  Good luck.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Since this launches the day after my birthday, can I have a birthday present if I pledge on these?  :D

It won't have any bearing on whether I pledge or not, just make it all the sweeter.
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Are you intentionally aiming for a similar box front to the one you made for Steampunk Cthulhu?  Sort of like a corporate signature?

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Yes, this deck was thought up as a kind of "companion" deck to the Steampunk Cthulhu one. They share design on the tuck, card back and even the pips have a lot of similarities.
Nat Iwata

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Oh, and that is an old pic, but I fixed the spacing on between the A and T in PIRATES on the box. The Kerning was off, as in this pic
Nat Iwata

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:49 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Love your work Nat. Can't wait til tomorrow.

Should I pledge for 1 brick, or two?

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Nat was kind enough to give me permission to show you a few sneak previews of the deck prior to its launch tomorrow!

I think the King of Diamonds speaks for itself.. (Click to enlarge in order to see the intricacy)

The pips are literally the best fitted custom pips i have ever seen. Nautical+ Steampunk+ Pirate elements are shown very directly and clearly yet seamlessly combined together. So much jizz action!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:10:31 PM by Froggo »

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Nat was kind enough to give me permission to show you a few sneak previews of the deck prior to its launch tomorrow!

I think the King of Diamonds speaks for itself..

The pips are literally the best fitted custom pips i have ever seen. Nautical+ Steampunk+ Pirate elements are shown very directly and clearly yet seamlessly combined together. So much jizz action!

Don't think my approval of this project can get much higher.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

hapaninja

• Kickstarter:
Fat or thin gents? (and ladies)

Nat Iwata

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Thin all the way!

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Hey Nat, this post is for reference sake (for picture attachments) to our ongoing conversation. In order of appearance: Monarch v1, Monarch v2, Americana, Aurum, Mana. I hope the respective designers do not mind me using their decks as reference.

The shift to thinner borders has been underway since it was first utilised! Arguably the most popular deck: Theory11 Monarchs, used to have huge fat borders in its v1. After the flood of requests, they changed it to thin borders in v2, and was received tremendously well. Nowadays, almost ALL custom playing card companies as well as informed indie designers release their decks with thin borders.

Again, here's my message to you from earlier so the members of the forum are on the same page.

Nat, that is sooooooo much better! Create a digital render of a fan and see the effect for yourself/ allow people to vote when the project is live!

First off before i give you my thoughts i would like to thank you for taking the time to meet my request! It wasnt a absolutely necessary change but the fact that you considered and rendered it simply shows how thoughtful and dedicated you are in pleasing your backers/making your artwork a success!

Alright so here are my thoughts. As much as i dislike the idea, there is actually the point where the borders are TOO thin. Even though USPCC improved their alignment system dramatically over the last year, there is still room for error. There is the possibility of a few faulty decks with misaligned borders that are slightly off-centred. Though the Americana kickstarter deck had just as thin borders and turned out perfectly with no misalignment issues (as least for my deck). Please enquire with USPCC to see if the borders will cause a problem or not. (I have linked a few pictures for reference at:http://aethercards.com/discourse/design-development/working-on-a-new-deck-steampunk-pirates/20/

Personally, i would bring back the borders just a TINY TINY bit. Just ever so slightly! (refer to the Aurum deck, Monarch deck, etc) but maintain the size of the pirate so the hat sticks out of the borders just a tiny bit more, like the original, so that it looks purposive instead of accidental (if that makes sense).

Please visit here to see what i mean: http://aethercards.com/discourse/design-development/working-on-a-new-deck-steampunk-pirates/20/

Again, Nat, thank you so much. I am positive it'll get received well by the community (especially the card/collector community). Your time will be well spent.

I have additionally attached a few photos showing the effect of thin borders vs fat borders in fans.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:41:18 PM by Froggo »

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I would argue about Monarchs being the best deck!  They're good, but "the best" is a pretty high standard...

The big thing that make the skinny Americana borders work was that it was a small, repetitive pattern that fades irregularly as you approach the cut line.  There's no distinct end of the border when moving from edge of the card to center.  This does a great job of masking many if not most potential alignment errors that can occur when a border is made as thin as you can get away with.  The closest I've seen to anything like that was the Tendril deck, but that deck wasn't quite the same - the back design wasn't a repetitive, nearly hypnotic pattern like Bee Diamond Backs can be, nor did it have the seemingly irregular colorations of the Americana.

Simply put, the thinner the border, the better the chance of a registration error on some of your decks, but the "softer" the border edge, the better the chance that many if not most of those registration errors will go unnoticed.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I never said they were the best deck don =p I said ARGUABLY the most POPULAR, in terms of hype, sales, etc.  'The best' is so subjective it should never be thrown around.

Your point with the faded borders is very good. I looked at my americana deck closely and there is in fact misalignment. However because of the way its presented it's barely noticeable. Tendril, likewise.

Nat made some additional changes and this is the final result attached below. I personally think this is the perfect balance. Can't wait till its launch in a little over 12hours!

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'm not sure how much longer I can contain my excitement.  :-[