You are Here:
JNuggs for sale on the art of play's new site

Author (Read 3345 times)

JNuggs for sale on the art of play's new site
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:48:32 AM »

kylebyrne

• Newcomer
The buck twins posted about a new collection site where they're selling some decks, included among them http://artofplay.com/collections/complete-catelog/products/jerrys-nugget the jnuggs, with a pretty hefty $500 price tag.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:51:19 AM by kylebyrne »

Re: JNuggs for sale on the art of play's new site
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 05:16:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The buck twins posted about a new collection site where they're selling some decks, included among them http://artofplay.com/collections/complete-catelog/products/jerrys-nugget the jnuggs, with a pretty hefty $500 price tag.

Crazy expensive.  But the site's not terribly accurate.  For example, they list the Madison Rounders as "out of print" while E is still selling them at as little as $5.95 a throw if you buy in bulk.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
The only reasonably priced deck on there besides out of print ones is the Magic con v1 for $50.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Red fultons china towns... SO EXPENSIVE!
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The website design itself is pretty slick, makes shopping for decks enjoyable. I do agree that some of those prices are confusing the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:33:22 PM by Curt »

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
this web site actually worries me a bit. not like it's a bad website and might get scammed.
It feels like there is something wrong with D&D or T11 that they need another platform to sell their decks.
that's base on my personal opinion and feeling..no facts at all

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Red fultons china towns... SO EXPENSIVE!

That HAS to be a typo.  They're more like orange than red!  :))

this web site actually worries me a bit. not like it's a bad website and might get scammed.
It feels like there is something wrong with D&D or T11 that they need another platform to sell their decks.
that's base on my personal opinion and feeling..no facts at all

As I see it it's JAFS - Just Another F**king Seller...  And a costly one at that.  For that alone, not worth discussing much.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »

WhySoSerious12

• Facebook:

so expensive. is like having a new smartphone ..

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:38:48 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
As I see it it's JAFS - Just Another F**king Seller...  And a costly one at that.  For that alone, not worth discussing much.

The site has a trade mark at the footer, saying;

Code: [Select]
Copyright 2013 by Dan and Dave Industries. Art of Play and the Art of Play logo are trademarks of Dan and Dave Industries. Inc
.... and the PayPal account is registered to D & D too, weird actually. Considering on Facebook they actually said they were 'proud to be associated with' the site, but didn't acknowledge it was theirs.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I actually asked, since I saw some other independent sellers on there, if they might be interested in my decks and they said they "weren't big fans of Tendril or Aurum."

:( That gaves me the sad. My poor little decks are feeling all alone now.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I actually asked, since I saw some other independent sellers on there, if they might be interested in my decks and they said they "weren't big fans of Tendril or Aurum."

:( That gaves me the sad. My poor little decks are feeling all alone now.

Screw that Paul.  You've produced some of my favorite work.  It's all a bunch of political BS to keep the big guys in control of this rapidly expanding market.  Truth be told, a lot of people like you Paul are doing a better job than they ever did.  We are in the middle of a the playing card renaissance and it's the little guys making the big moves.   

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Heh, well that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm pretty proud of my work and apparently most folks think my little creations are at least decent. I am always looking for new ways to get eyeballs on my stuff and was mildly surprised that Aurum didn't fit into their catalog based on what was there. Oh well! Onward and upward!
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Heh, well that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm pretty proud of my work and apparently most folks think my little creations are at least decent. I am always looking for new ways to get eyeballs on my stuff and was mildly surprised that Aurum didn't fit into their catalog based on what was there. Oh well! Onward and upward!
Try the Laser-cut Aurum. That deck is very well done and super rare/expensive. Sounds like a perfect fit for a site like that. Besides, I know someone who has met the buck twins and she says they're major assholes. Extremely arrogant. If it makes a difference, I look up to you as a beginning card designer myself. You are one of the people whose standard I try to hold myself to, if they don't like your cards they can f*** themselves.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Try the Laser-cut Aurum. That deck is very well done and super rare/expensive. Sounds like a perfect fit for a site like that. Besides, I know someone who has met the buck twins and she says they're major assholes. Extremely arrogant. If it makes a difference, I look up to you as a beginning card designer myself. You are one of the people whose standard I try to hold myself to, if they don't like your cards they can f*** themselves.

As far as the Bucks go, I've met them before as well, even sat down for dinner with them and drove them to their hotel afterwards.  They're nicer guys than I'd been led to believe.  Perhaps your friend just caught them on a bad day or something, I don't know.

But they are businessmen first, that's for certain.  These are not what I'd call cheap - or even reasonable.  They're obviously not playing on the name-brand cachet since they've not stated publicly that it's their site, though the copyright text states it clearly enough.  To someone too lazy to look, they wouldn't know it was a Buck site until they tried to pay with PayPal.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Interesting, I have heard nothing but negative about the Buck twins. That is the first time I have heard someone say they were nice, everyone else unanimously votes arrogant. Go figure.

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:27 AM »

g-low

It's a really nice catalogue but yes, very expensive.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Crazy expensive.  But the site's not terribly accurate.  For example, they list the Madison Rounders as "out of print" while E is still selling them at as little as $5.95 a throw if you buy in bulk.

I'm not positive, but I thought "out of print" in terms of "Art of Play" just means they are out of stock? They might need to reword that.

Very expensive!!  Making Jerry's Nuggets that high in price has done nothing to increase the general value of the JN market like I thought it would when D&D first sold them on their own site. This is more about a status symbol having them up for sale, then actually wanting to sell them. They know very few will buy them at that price but it looks good on the website.

$50 for the Fontaine deck is crazy expensive also. Just because something is rare or limited does not justify a $50 price tag. There's no history behind the Fontaine deck? $50 really? This is Zack Mueller's deck, It's Not Madison, Not Blaine and Not Richard Turner!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:59:35 AM by Anonymous »

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
$50 for the Fontaine deck is crazy expensive also. Just because something is rare or limited does not justify a $50 price tag. There's no history behind the Fontaine deck? $50 really? This is Zack Mueller's deck, It's Not Madison, Not Blaine and Not Richard Turner!

He's a talented kid and all but it's a super simple deck, hardly customized, and not that much more rare than any of the other kickstarter-type decks. The few examples on ebay are around $20-30 and no one is bidding on them. I think they only had a brick or so and they are still available...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Interesting, I have heard nothing but negative about the Buck twins. That is the first time I have heard someone say they were nice, everyone else unanimously votes arrogant. Go figure.

It could have a lot to do with the fact that they were on a lecture tour and they held a contest to have dinner with the winner.  This would make them interested in good behavior - and I stayed at the other end of the dinner table from them because I didn't want to glom on the guy's prize.  But in my presence, they were decent and behaved.

Anon makes a good point - by posting them on Art of Play for $500 a deck, they seem like a steal when they post them on their own website for $400...  But this has the added side effect of making $200-300 on Lee Asher's site look like grand larceny!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:37:42 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

He's a talented kid and all but it's a super simple deck, hardly customized, and not that much more rare than any of the other kickstarter-type decks. The few examples on ebay are around $20-30 and no one is bidding on them. I think they only had a brick or so and they are still available...

Yep. It's a nice font of the letter "f". That's about it.

Anybody who's anybody in card collecting could have bought the deck when Zack was getting it funded. Those who wanted it, did. Those who did not, past on it. Who or what type of noob customer is D&D/AOP trying to get to buy this deck at $50? I'd feel real guilty if It were me. I watched Coffee with Dan & Dave this week. You could tell one of the Buck twins was uncomfortable announcing the $50 price.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:00:22 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

It could have a lot to do with the fact that they were on a lecture tour and they held a contest to have dinner with the winner.  This would make them interested in good behavior - and I stayed at the other end of the dinner table from them because I didn't want to glom on the guy's prize.  But in my presence, they were decent and behaved.

Anon makes a good point - by posting them on Art of Play for $500 a deck, they seem like a steal when they post them on their own website for $400...  But this has the added side effect of making $200-300 on Lee Asher's site look like grand larceny!
Was just going to point out that I would stick to Lee Asher myself. Lower prices and not to mention the thrill of the chase coming this October... to bad I'm poor.

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Was just going to point out that I would stick to Lee Asher myself. Lower prices and not to mention the thrill of the chase coming this October... to bad I'm poor.

Again, it could be a case of them having plans to release the Fontaine deck on their site for cheaper, or maybe include it in a Variety Box or a premium giveaway or something.  It's a little like when companies used to jack up their prices in the weeks before a sale so when they cut the prices again, people think they're getting a deal when they're really getting the opposite - except they're using two separate "companies" in terms of the web addresses, one to jack the prices, one to cut them.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Again, it could be a case of them having plans to release the Fontaine deck on their site for cheaper, or maybe include it in a Variety Box or a premium giveaway or something.  It's a little like when companies used to jack up their prices in the weeks before a sale so when they cut the prices again, people think they're getting a deal when they're really getting the opposite - except they're using two separate "companies" in terms of the web addresses, one to jack the prices, one to cut them.

Good thought. Probably true. Similar economic device to that used by anyone looking to upsell. I call it a carrot on the stick motive.

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 01:06:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good thought. Probably true. Similar economic device to that used by anyone looking to upsell. I call it a carrot on the stick motive.

Are you sure you're not referring to "carrot AND the stick?"  Driving the beast (in this case, the market) away from pain (Art of Play prices) and toward a supposed pleasure (Dan and Dave prices, lower than AoP but still no bargain)?

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

Are you sure you're not referring to "carrot AND the stick?"  Driving the beast (in this case, the market) away from pain (Art of Play prices) and toward a supposed pleasure (Dan and Dave prices, lower than AoP but still no bargain)?
Sure, you say what you like, I say what I like, but we refer to the same thing hahaha. Its the opposite of the trick used by movie theaters to upsell. That trick being to offer the most expensive item at the best price per unit. But that trick would never work with decks because they are single sized items in a niche market and depending on the deck are a superior normal good (in most cases). Not going to get too heavy into the economic theory behind this for fear of getting off topic and boring you all to death, but yes. It's the most probable trick for someone like them to be using.