You are Here:
Printing/crowdfunding a deck in the UK

Author (Read 754 times)

Printing/crowdfunding a deck in the UK
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »

Mr Rik

• Newcomer
HI folks

I wonder if anyone has printed a deck in the UK, and can therefore recommend a printing company to use.

I am trying to develop a deck for the charity that I work for and want to print about 1000 decks.  We are based in Scotland. 

We are also considering using crowdfunding to part fund this project and I wonder if any UK based forum members are willing to share their views in terms of the company they used and their experiences of using them.

Recommendations or indeed advice about companies to avoid appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Printing/crowdfunding a deck in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I think crowd funding could be a great way to sell the cards. Just make sure you read the rules on the crowd funding sites. I know Kickstarter does not allow for charity projects. You would need to be careful on how you present it.  Good luck.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:04 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What's the minimum run with USPCC these days? See if they will print your decks, or if you're willing to increase your print run.

Back when I did my project, they also shipped anywhere in the world for free (I got them to ship to three different addresses).

As for funding, Indiegogo is your best bet unless you find someone in the US to set up the KS for you.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
What's the minimum run with USPCC these days? See if they will print your decks, or if you're willing to increase your print run.

Back when I did my project, they also shipped anywhere in the world for free (I got them to ship to three different addresses).

As for funding, Indiegogo is your best bet unless you find someone in the US to set up the KS for you.

Things are a little different.  At last word, the minimum run is 2,500 as opposed to the 1,000 he wants.  Plus he'd have to deal with USPC's International Department instead of the Custom Department, which I'm told adds another layer of hassle to the mix.

He might be better off dealing with Fournier in Spain.  They do quality work and they're a USPC subsidiary.  He could also try Cartamundi - they actually have a UK division and they do custom work.  If you decide, Mr Rik, to use Cartamundi, check out the options at your disposal.  I have no doubt they can make the cards, it's just a matter of how well they'll be made.  Plus for either company, I have no idea as to what the minimum is.

If you're willing to deal with them, USPC has a partnership with Zazzle for decks with USPC faces in different styles and custom backs of any kind you want.  However, Zazzle decks can be EXPENSIVE and the quality is not up to what USPC themselves produce.  I think Zazzle decks, depending on quantity ordered, can go as high as US$25 a pack.  A bulk order should get you a discount, but I couldn't say if they'd give you the same deal on shipping that USPC does - for you, that could break the deal.

You could try Waddington's, but I hear the quality is terrible.  Offason of Sweden makes some good decks, I'm told, as does Card-Shark in Germany - Card Shark often orders from USPC, but they also operate their own presses for certain projects and the quality's not bad.

Chinese presses can be hit or miss.  You can get a decent deck or a terrible one.  But they will make them cheap, that's for certain.  Personally, unless you had a person on the ground at the plant to check it out, I wouldn't trust going with a Chinese printer.

Last company of decent quality I can think of would be Angel Playing Cards in Japan.  The work is good, but I can't imagine it will be very cheap and it would probably cost much more when factoring for the shipping and duties.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Lee McKenzie is from the UK.
EMPIRE Playing Cards
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/72004666/empire-playing-cards-built-to-conquer
He is using USPCC, and the decks are being shipped w/in the US. He is on the Forum sometimes. I don't know if he is using a fulfillment company, or working with an individual. You may want to message him for any insight he has.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:02 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Cartamundi are pretty popular in the UK, and can provide a decent level of quality for you, Drummond Money-Coutts (DMC) Magic prints his cards with them and he's a very welcoming guy, try contacting him through site ~ www.dmcmagic.com.

Fournier have a minimum print quantity of 1000, which is of course perfect for you. If you want the contact details for their UK rep, drop me an email and i'll be happy to pass on the details.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:30:53 AM by JPMiddleton »
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk