New *Soon to be* Kickstarter Deck: Blue Blood Redux

Author (Read 4186 times)

New *Soon to be* Kickstarter Deck: Blue Blood Redux
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Just announced via the Royal Optik Kickstarter. The Blue Blood Redux.

From the Kickstarter update:

"And now for the surprise news! After receiving so many emails from backers, collectors and playing card enthusiasts around the world who missed out on our Blue Blood deck when we first brought it out a year and a half ago – and cannot find this sold out deck anywhere –  we decided to bring the indigo monarchs back for one last appearence. Blue Blood Redux will be the title of our second edition of this deck design and we are hoping to release it on Kickstarter the week of August 12th. There will be some new court cards –  a coup in the original heart suit, has seen the King overthrown by the original Jack of Hearts who truly makes for a unique and awesome suicide King.  His replacement in the ranks is another stealth assassin who helped with the royal overthrow and has a watchful eye on his rogue king.

There has also been a replacement in the Spade Court as well – a new Jack has risen to take the spot of a vanquished warrior. Stealth and far more dangerous than his comrade he is a lethal threat ready for battle.   

Aside from the court changes, we added two new animals for the Ace of Diamond & Ace of Hearts cards.  There are other exciting new changes to the deck that we hope you will enjoy and that we feel make this version of the deck Blue Blood through and through!

Just a note before closing, the Blue Blood Redux deck is in addition to our six deck series - it is not our fourth deck. We are bringing it back by popular demand and to give a second chance to everyone who wanted to have all the decks in our series."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244376122/royal-optik-playing-card-deck/posts/557953#comments
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

Re: New *Soon to be* Kickstarter Deck: Blue Blood Redux
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just announced via the Royal Optik Kickstarter. The Blue Blood Redux.

From the Kickstarter update:

"And now for the surprise news! After receiving so many emails from backers, collectors and playing card enthusiasts around the world who missed out on our Blue Blood deck when we first brought it out a year and a half ago – and cannot find this sold out deck anywhere –  we decided to bring the indigo monarchs back for one last appearence. Blue Blood Redux will be the title of our second edition of this deck design and we are hoping to release it on Kickstarter the week of August 12th. There will be some new court cards –  a coup in the original heart suit, has seen the King overthrown by the original Jack of Hearts who truly makes for a unique and awesome suicide King.  His replacement in the ranks is another stealth assassin who helped with the royal overthrow and has a watchful eye on his rogue king.

There has also been a replacement in the Spade Court as well – a new Jack has risen to take the spot of a vanquished warrior. Stealth and far more dangerous than his comrade he is a lethal threat ready for battle.   

Aside from the court changes, we added two new animals for the Ace of Diamond & Ace of Hearts cards.  There are other exciting new changes to the deck that we hope you will enjoy and that we feel make this version of the deck Blue Blood through and through!

Just a note before closing, the Blue Blood Redux deck is in addition to our six deck series - it is not our fourth deck. We are bringing it back by popular demand and to give a second chance to everyone who wanted to have all the decks in our series."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1244376122/royal-optik-playing-card-deck/posts/557953#comments

I've spoken with Linnea at Uusi about this - the new version of Blue Blood will have the "Uusi-standard" indices that they used on Bohemia and Royal Optik.  As mentioned, there will be some slight redesigning to it - it's things they noticed AFTER making the deck that they wished they'd done differently.

Additionally, the pips will be dark blue for the blacks and light blue for the reds - they picked shades that are far enough apart to make for easy recognition.  It's also a possibility (though this isn't set in stone) that if a stretch goal is reached, they'll release a second color of the deck, as they have done for the more-recent projects.

But perhaps the biggest reason for making this was the hardcore demand for the deck.  Not a week has passed since the deck came out that someone isn't asking Peter and Linnea how to get their own or if they have any left for sale.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Super excited! Don, any chance you could contact the creators about the hand placement on the sword of the Jack of hearts? Its not a big deal but it doesnt look right (im not talking about an issue concerning proportion etc as everythings obviously abstract, its judt that the actual fingers do not fit right).

Blue blood is one of, if not my all time favourite deck. I have my calendar booked for release! Keep us updated please!
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Super excited! Don, any chance you could contact the creators about the hand placement on the sword of the Jack of hearts? Its not a big deal but it doesnt look right (im not talking about an issue concerning proportion etc as everythings obviously abstract, its judt that the actual fingers do not fit right).

Blue blood is one of, if not my all time favourite deck. I have my calendar booked for release! Keep us updated please!

If the man wielding the sword were striking with the flat of the blade, this would actually be just fine.  There are also some blocks that would employ a similar hand placement, with the second hand making contact with the dull edge of the blade for support.  Furthermore, one's hand would likely shift position just a bit, were this to be a strike with the blade's sharp edge, as the other hand gripped the handle - samurai rarely use katana as a one-handed weapon outside of a period movie.  Aikido requires some amount of practice with a bokken, a wooden sword roughly the same size as a samurai's katana, and we use it in a similar fashion.  I've not been attending regularly, but I'm still an ikkyu in the art - that's the last rank before shodan, the first "black belt" rank.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:15:11 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Thanks for the background information. Maybe i wasnt clear enough, what i meant was the finger position gripping the handle of the katana. The middle and ring fingers along with the pinky in particular. Concerning the girth of the handle (avoiding all penis related jokes), the middle and ring fingers do not wrap 'comfortably' around the handle. They honestly look deformed. I can allow my OCD to get over the lack of knuckles but the fingers just do not look right to me.

Again, i love this deck and am just trying to improve some minor, but noticeable imperfections.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the background information. Maybe i wasnt clear enough, what i meant was the finger position gripping the handle of the katana. The middle and ring fingers along with the pinky in particular. Concerning the girth of the handle (avoiding all penis related jokes), the middle and ring fingers do not wrap 'comfortably' around the handle. They honestly look deformed. I can allow my OCD to get over the lack of knuckles but the fingers just do not look right to me.

Again, i love this deck and am just trying to improve some minor, but noticeable imperfections.

I'll grant that the fingers are a bit stubby.  In addition, when gripping a katana handle, it's the last two fingers that grip the most tightly, not the first two, for better blade control and power.  The right hand appears to have the pinky nearly loose.  I'd just chalk it up to the character being in "mid-grip" - his weapon is drawn but not yet ready for battle, his hands and fingers still moving into correct position.  This guy's iaido needs some work!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Additionally, the pips will be dark blue for the blacks and light blue for the reds - they picked shades that are far enough apart to make for easy recognition.  It's also a possibility (though this isn't set in stone) that if a stretch goal is reached, they'll release a second color of the deck, as they have done for the more-recent projects.

Hmm, the blues for both pips bothers me, but they are experienced enough to know what they are doing so they should look great. Would the second color be a red or black? Bohemia's extra deck was blackish, Royal Optic's extra deck was red, so it would make sense to follow the trend. Don, maybe you can summon the Uusi account when the kickstarter goes live, or now, to answer more direct questions.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hmm, the blues for both pips bothers me, but they are experienced enough to know what they are doing so they should look great. Would the second color be a red or black? Bohemia's extra deck was blackish, Royal Optic's extra deck was red, so it would make sense to follow the trend. Don, maybe you can summon the Uusi account when the kickstarter goes live, or now, to answer more direct questions.

The blues will be different enough, I've seen images - didn't they post some at the Royal Optik comments page on KS?

As I said, the second color isn't set in stone - a color has not yet been picked because it may not come to fruition.  I can tell you what I'd like to see, but it would be sheer speculation.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer

The blues will be different enough, I've seen images - didn't they post some at the Royal Optik comments page on KS?

As I said, the second color isn't set in stone - a color has not yet been picked because it may not come to fruition.  I can tell you what I'd like to see, but it would be sheer speculation.

The posted a picture of the Jack of Spades, but no color comparison of the suits or anything. And what color would you like to see?

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The posted a picture of the Jack of Spades, but no color comparison of the suits or anything. And what color would you like to see?

Well, on the one hand, red would be nice, but this is the Blue Blood deck...  Everything about it is blue.  So I gues I'm a bit undecided.  Perhaps red, perhaps black, perhaps different shades of blue, perhaps purple...  Definitely not green or brown - good colors, but not a good match to the design.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member

Hi Froggo – just saw this thread. Awesome, detailed description of how the Jack would be holding that type of sword!! Loved reading yours and Don's back and forth on that. Yes, the old Jack of Hearts (who is now the King of Hearts because we thought he made a brilliant suicide king) no longer has severe arthritis on his sword hand.  That was a hurried sketch for our first Kickstarter and we didn't realize we could change artwork that we had posted. We thought it was fine then, but given the chance to recreate the deck, we were eager to repair that detail along with a few others.  We hope you enjoy the new, anatomically appropriate version that also has some new court characters and many other changes when Blueblood Redux launches!

Linnea

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:35:26 AM by uusikissa1 »
.....................................................................................
http://uusi.us/
http://uusi.us/blogs/gibber-ish

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
oops, not sure what happened there...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:37:27 AM by uusikissa1 »
.....................................................................................

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Hi Linnea, i am extremely glad you were able to cure his arthritis :) It wasnt anything major and obviously would not be detrimental to the decks success, but the fact that you acknowledged and corrected the imperfection just goes to show how much you love the deck as a complete and perfect work of art. My respect for you guys has just shot up even higher. I am very eager for the release and wish you the best of luck!

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hi Linnea, i am extremely glad you were able to cure his arthritis :) It wasnt anything major and obviously would not be detrimental to the decks success, but the fact that you acknowledged and corrected the imperfection just goes to show how much you love the deck as a complete and perfect work of art. My respect for you guys has just shot up even higher. I am very eager for the release and wish you the best of luck!

Thanks, Froggo! We are lucky to have you as a backer – love your eye for detail!  We will be launching BB Redux on Monday, August 19th at noon and hope to see you there :D

Thomas Edison

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
So I was thinking...  What excites me about the BB Redux is that it's in addition to the planned 6 deck Uusi set.  So it's like a bonus for us Uusi fans.  It also serves to round out the first three, giving us six decks to date.  It gives the creators an opportunity to hone some details they may have found needed something, while making their first effort a somewhat paired set.  Their talent as designers coupled with the fact that their projects have increased in funding with every effort leads me to believe that, barring something crazy happening, we should end up with a total of 12 decks to marvel at.   That is assuming that they are not dead set against an alternate color or tuck in one of the next versions.  Good things to come, folks, good things to come.  I realize most of this is obvious I just wanted to gush a little.  I own what I think is a lot of decks and my Uusi's are the ones that catch my eye every time I pass my display case.  That is all.

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I was thinking...  What excites me about the BB Redux is that it's in addition to the planned 6 deck Uusi set.  So it's like a bonus for us Uusi fans.  It also serves to round out the first three, giving us six decks to date.  It gives the creators an opportunity to hone some details they may have found needed something, while making their first effort a somewhat paired set.  Their talent as designers coupled with the fact that their projects have increased in funding with every effort leads me to believe that, barring something crazy happening, we should end up with a total of 12 decks to marvel at.   That is assuming that they are not dead set against an alternate color or tuck in one of the next versions.  Good things to come, folks, good things to come.  I realize most of this is obvious I just wanted to gush a little.  I own what I think is a lot of decks and my Uusi's are the ones that catch my eye every time I pass my display case.  That is all.

Bro, gush away!  If the original was any indication, it's going to be an awesome deck.

Uusi "Blueblood Redux" KS Launch Date.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hey everybody,

Just thought we would let anyone who might be interested know that we will be launching our new "Blueblood Redux" playing card deck on KS this coming Monday, the 19th of August at 10:00am EST. It will be a second revised edition of the original Blueblood deck, which was our first playing card deck we produced (and apparently one of our hardest decks to procure). Some of the revisions Blueblood Redux will feature will be a new tuck box, new jack of spades and jack of hearts (with the old jack of hearts moving up to the kings position) a new queen of hearts, an Uusi signature diptych add card, and new animals for the ace of diamonds and the ace of hearts. There will also be a revision of the pip cards, using the same suite symbol design and layout that we used in Bohemia and Royal Optik. Also the entire deck will be blue, with the clubs and spades a dark blue and the hearts and diamonds being a light blue. Oh, a new card back as well! There will probably be a few other additions as well. Hope to see you over at KS on Monday!

Peter and Linnea

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:55:11 PM by uusikissa1 »

Thomas Edison

Re: Uusi "Blueblood Redux" KS Launch Date.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I think, at this point of time, you guys are one of the most dependable and unique card designers out there today, and I will pledge for whatever with the knowledge that I have the assurance that it will be a uniquely designed deck, high standard, delivered ON time, decks arrived without a scratch or dent on them and it will be a collectible deck. Always.  :D

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:33 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
New back.

New courts.

New pips.

YESSSSSSS

I never thought the pips on the Bohemia deck would work so well with the Blueblood deck.

This is one hell of a redux!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The new back design looks like a giant leap forward in attractive back designs!  We want to see more!  :))

Uusi Blueblood Redux deck (KS)
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular

Re: Uusi Blueblood Redux deck (KS)
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
We already have a topic for this.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/uusi-'blueblood-redux'-ks-launch-date/

It's no surprise at all that it's over 1/2 funded in only an hour. It's a fantastic design by a fantastic company.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I merged them.  The project is climbing FAST.  Two hours in, nearly $7,700.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't funded by 1:00pm EST/17:00 UTC.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:37 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
148% funded. I really like these. I prefer the indices of this better than the first.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I like the idea of the lighter/darker blue pips and indices. Metallic Inks would look really nice on this version. It would set the Redux version apart from the first Blue Blood even more.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:24:19 PM by Anonymous »