You are Here:

Poll

Vote if you wish.

Has potential
Needs a lot of work
Do not like
THE PERSIAN EMPIRE playing card deck (KS)

Author (Read 8376 times)

Re: THE PERSIAN EMPIRE playing card deck (KS)
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well crap

I suppose every noob makes mistakes, and let it be known throughout, this might have been my first one. I back this campaign, and was watching it right down to it's close. And indeed, there were no new backers in the last hour, but in the last 30 seconds, someone pledged just over $600. An existing "backer". Needless to say, I thought it was a tad fishy. Had I seen this thread, or even bothered to check his history, I would have steered clear.

He's had one small update since it's close, where other projects I've seen have rolled out regular updates even after the funding has closed. Guess we will see how this shakes down. Regardless, lesson learned.

It appears that he designed this deck around his products made under the company name Persian Apparel.  A few of the art images on the cards are on the clothes.  However, as I just checked, he's changed the website and indicates that the entire company is now for sale.  I get the feeling this doesn't bode well for people waiting on these decks...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
That's kind of a red flag. If this indeed is going where it looks, then that last donation makes sender. Not a bad investment, pledge $600 of your own to make $11k. Maybe against all odds we will see a deck instead of tire tracks.

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
That's kind of a red flag. If this indeed is going where it looks, then that last donation makes sender. Not a bad investment, pledge $600 of your own to make $11k. Maybe against all odds we will see a deck instead of tire tracks.

I don't think there's a strong indication of a scam as of now. If you browse through the previous pages you'll know that i absolutely despise Cy.. But from what i can see with the updates, it looks normal, as of now. Be patient and wait it out. There's a certain period of time (a few months i think) in which you'll be able to raise a dispute via Amazon/Your credit card company to get a full refund. Don't be so quick to come to a conclusion as this may cause a flurry of panic among the other backers and shit'll take off before you know it.

I really hope everything turns out well for you and the other backers' sake! (:
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

I don't think there's a strong indication of a scam as of now. If you browse through the previous pages you'll know that i absolutely despise Cy.. But from what i can see with the updates, it looks normal, as of now. Be patient and wait it out. There's a certain period of time (a few months i think) in which you'll be able to raise a dispute via Amazon/Your credit card company to get a full refund. Don't be so quick to come to a conclusion as this may cause a flurry of panic among the other backers and shit'll take off before you know it.

I really hope everything turns out well for you and the other backers' sake! (:

That's why I've kept my thoughts here. I tend to have faith in people to a fault, so until I see a postcard in the mail with his mug on it smiling on a Hawaiian beach will I finally be like "Bad man, man bad!".

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

That's why I've kept my thoughts here. I tend to have faith in people to a fault, so until I see a postcard in the mail with his mug on it smiling on a Hawaiian beach will I finally be like "Bad man, man bad!".

Don't give him ideas! =p
I'm not sure if you can be bothered to see the comments in his previous failed attempt at kickstarting this deck.. but if you follow everything through + the comments on this thread you'll realise how far he is willing to go to hide a lie. Without hesitation, he consistently attempts to cover up his tracks with more lies. It's actually quite an amusing read in hindsight. I don't care how much people 'change' after such deceitful acts. If they were once willing to lie about something, there is nothing stopping them to do it again. Especially when $13,000 is up for grabs.

Cy has lost a lot of people's trust on here and UC regardless of how this unfolds. I'm sure some of us secretly, deep down, wish it did indeed turn out to be a scam just so we could say "we told you so, bitch." =p Evil, I know! Haha. I honestly hope everything turns out to be okay for your sake.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Holy crap!  I know this is a dead thread, but I wished I would have read this sooner.  Best thread I've read yet.  You guys can really spot a shady deal. I do, however; like his Kickstarer video. It gives me some ideas.  I wonder if this is going to be on Don's successful Kickstarter, but never delivered list...

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I won't be too heart broken if this plays out according to the way he's conducted himself, I didn't pledge a lot. And I had read through his past projects comments section, wow, that was a fun read! And it sounds like I've only tread upon the tip of the iceberg between this thread and the comments.

Sprouts, yeah it was like a couple days after I pledged when I found this thread. Talk about a palm to the forehead. Regardless of the odds, maybe he will deliver though. i probably won't hold my breath though....

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2014, 12:41:04 AM »

Norbie

• Newcomer
I won't be too heart broken if this plays out according to the way he's conducted himself, I didn't pledge a lot. And I had read through his past projects comments section, wow, that was a fun read! And it sounds like I've only tread upon the tip of the iceberg between this thread and the comments.

Sprouts, yeah it was like a couple days after I pledged when I found this thread. Talk about a palm to the forehead. Regardless of the odds, maybe he will deliver though. i probably won't hold my breath though....

Did you get your deck?

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »

vmagic

He did deliver the goods last time now we have to hope he delivers on the royal edition project!

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2014, 04:57:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
He did deliver the goods last time now we have to hope he delivers on the royal edition project!

Perhaps you'd care to write a review for us in the Deck Reviews board?

I remember the hassles this guy was getting in regard to using "recycled" artwork and trying to claim it as his own, even to the point of tracing the Ace of Spades and calling it "drawing".  To me, when an "artist" is trying to commit plagiarism, it's a red flag to stay away, regardless of how good the work is.  Ironically, if he'd just been honest in his intentions from the beginning, he would not have had any problems with the "natives" getting restless.  Nothing good ever comes from flat-out, bald-faced lies.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Looks like you can purchase the deck through his website linked in the Kickstarter. In case anyone feels ballsy.  ;D
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

Perhaps you'd care to write a review for us in the Deck Reviews board?

I know you were not adressing to me Don, but I'll post my brief review (made 3 months ago) on the Deck Review Board. And if someone could help me with the stock used, I would be very grateful.
Enthusiast collector