Author (Read 5650 times)

Re: Alice of Wonderland Steampunk Playing Cards
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
So just a personal comment, I don't know what your final name for the project might be but  I think Alice in Wonderland Steampunk  Playing cards is quite long.

Why not just  go for something like Alice in Steampunkland its much shorter and I think looks more original, as there are other Alice in wonderland decks.

Best Regards,
Martin S.
Lucky Card Company, Inc.

Or

Alice Deck
Wonderfilledland
Wonderful Alice
Drink Me Eat Me
Tweedle
Queen of Hearts (I'd be surprised if that wasn't already taken)
Looking Glass
Cheshire
Off With Their Heads

Note:  There is no need to say steampunk, the look is victorian, any mech added can be assumed steampunk without having to have that stigma over the deck.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Drink Me Eat Me
Tweedle
Off With Their Heads

wat.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:04 AM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
Why not simply Wonderland, or Adventures in Wonderland?  (Has that been taken?)

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Why not simply Wonderland, or Adventures in Wonderland?  (Has that been taken?)

Even if they were, I'd think they're close enough to the public-domain original that it would be fine.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO:

- nice artworks of court cards;

- interesting pips;

- too many the same Cheshire's smiles in this deck;

- the same backgrounds for court cards are a little bit boring;

- the back design looks for me as a combination of clip art. Nice clip art but clip art :(. Sorry.;

- "Steampunk" element is so unnecessary for this deck (as well as "Alice in Wonderland" element :));

- I doubt this deck can help the upcoming story. When you have the story that is the other case. Than people know about Alice's adventures and can better understand the deck "Alice + Steampunk". I think the art is amazing and even in some way innovative for USPCC decks but those "Wonderland" and "Steampunk" elements are far-fetched.

Prices are traditionally very high for international backers (customers).

Anyway good luck. What a nice court cards!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »

Sketch2Draw

• Newcomer
In regards to the title - you should do some careful research.  While "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" is public domain, someone over the intervening years may have snagged "Alice of Wonderland" already.  In fact, I do believe it has been, for a 1966 animated feature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_of_Wonderland_in_Paris

I did a search on the U.S. Copyright Office website catalog - when I just used "Alice of Wonderland", the above copyright came up. When I searched for "Alice of Wonderland Playing Cards" no results came back - title or name search.

This is a tricky area and I will need to get some legal advice from a copyright attorney before I print, and I can make an update to my design to let my backers know if the name changes a bit. I just know that there are a variety of titles out there with "Alice" and "Wonderland" that have been around for years. I actually have an attorney in mind, specializing in artists intellectual property.

Aside from this, my project is live on kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jsolorzanoarts/alice-of-wonderland-playing-cards-printed-by-uspcc

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »

Sketch2Draw

• Newcomer
I ran into this useful article about how names and title cannot be copyrighted, only the complete work. So I'm not too worried about the title as my story is completely different from Alice of Wonderland in Paris.

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/01/08/5-things-that-cant-be-copyrighted/

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
I ran into this useful article about how names and title cannot be copyrighted, only the complete work. So I'm not too worried about the title as my story is completely different from Alice of Wonderland in Paris.

Copyright doesn't apply to titles or names, but trademarks can. That will depend on how broad of a trademark Disney has applied for (eg movies, books, shirts), and if there can be any arguments depending on the medium, or how similar a name can be.

I think there have been a few trademark cases where names were too similar within the same product market.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 01:25:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Copyright doesn't apply to titles or names, but trademarks can. That will depend on how broad of a trademark Disney has applied for (eg movies, books, shirts), and if there can be any arguments depending on the medium, or how similar a name can be.

I think there have been a few trademark cases where names were too similar within the same product market.

Disney holds copyright over their versions of the "Alice" story, and trademark over the titles - but not the original.  The owners of "Alice of Wonderland in Paris" could argue trademark infringement because of the similar titles leading to possible confusion by customers that the deck is in some way associated with the movie.

There are actually issues that affect Disney regarding copyrights.  For example, the reason US law has extended copyright protections today to a length of time that was NEVER intended when copyright law was created is because of petitioning by the Disney Company and others - if it wasn't extended, "Steamboat Willie", featuring the first appearance of Mickey Mouse, would be a public domain work today.  And I can bet that when 70 years after Walt Disney's death approaches, they'll be petitioning to push the expiration date of copyrights even further.  It doesn't matter if Mickey himself is a Disney trademark - you could legitimately sell works that are copies of "Steamboat Willie" or directly derived from the cartoon short.

It's how the original "Little Shop of Horrors" movie, directed by Roger Corman, became a play, then a movie based on the play - at the time the original work was created, you had an automatic copyright for 28 years with an option to renew for 28 more.  Corman failed to renew - in interviews, he sort of describes it as having slipped through the cracks - and it became part of the public domain, with Corman not being entitled to any profits from the derived works nor having any control over those works.  The renewal has since been removed.

Current US law is that a work will be covered by copyright for the either a) 70 years after the death of the creator, in the case of individually-created works, or b) in the case of corporate authorship, the shorter of either 1) 95 years after publication or 2) 120 years after creation.  This only covers works created in 1923 or later which were still covered under copyright law (not in the public domain) in 1998.  Anything created prior to 1923 is already in the public domain.  There's a special exception carved out for works created before 1 Jan 1978 but published in recent history at the time the current law was enacted (1998), so those works may be protected until as long as the end of 2047.

As I'm sitting here thinking about this, it's very possible that the movie in question is actually in the public domain by now - if the creators let the US copyright lapse before 1998.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 03:48:22 AM »

Sketch2Draw

• Newcomer
The royals for the Hearts are done.

I have a very limited amount of time to complete this project, but I do plan on making some final edits to my cards after I review them prior to sending them to print. This is an ongoing project, and I have decided to add color to the face cards and a vintage background to the rest. The good thing about a project is that it is still a project until completion, and I usually revise my art, granted there be enough time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jsolorzanoarts/alice-of-wonderland-playing-cards-printed-by-uspcc

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Digging the full color!
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Those are some gorgeous-looking courts.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Absolutely stunning in full color!
It ties in better with the back, too.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »

Sketch2Draw

• Newcomer
Thank you for all the great comments! I have updated my project to reflect the new Gold and Silver Editions of these cards. Both designs have been received well, more so for the colors, but now that I am designing 2 separate editions with metallic inks and art enhancements on the tuck cases, card backs, and faces, they are getting more attention.

The corner pips will be getting black and red metallic inks on the faces, and the backs will get gold or silver metallic accents. Gold and silver metallics will go on the borders and large text on the tuck cases.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:04:52 PM by Sketch2Draw »