You are Here:
brick now 6 decks

Author (Read 1695 times)

brick now 6 decks
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I recently have noticed in a few places people refer to a brick as 6 decks. Did something change? If someone offers me a brick I now have to ask how many.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: brick now 6 decks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
I seen that as well, A brick to me will always be 12.  But now I get to look stupid when ever I get a brick and ask  "how many is in a brick?"
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
This might be one of the places you're referring to but even Bicycle wrote this on their contest page:

"The Prize: We’ll name the deck after your suggestion, and send you a brick of the new deck—that’s six of them, just for you."

It'll forever be 12 to me as well though :))
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
does anyone know why people are trying to switch it? I know on kickstarter I still see a brick being 12.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Well it's possible it could be just to give people less decks. But it doesn't make sense to change the amount a brick equates to because if I want 12 decks, I'm going to purchase 12 decks. Not be happy with getting whatever amount a "brick" is.

Can't possibly know the actual reason though.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
On my projects I state that a Brick is 12 decks, mostly for people who are unaware of the term as I don't want them to think I'm selling actual bricks for $96.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
This might be one of the places you're referring to but even Bicycle wrote this on their contest page:

"The Prize: We’ll name the deck after your suggestion, and send you a brick of the new deck—that’s six of them, just for you."

It'll forever be 12 to me as well though :))

Because Bicycle do sell their decks in half brick boxes (6 decks). Still 12 for me though.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
On my projects I state that a Brick is 12 decks, mostly for people who are unaware of the term as I don't want them to think I'm selling actual bricks for $96.

So an actual brick is 6 decks than? I haven't been in the card collecting game for a while (although not as long as some) but for the entirety of it, a brick has been 12 decks. This is the first time I've seen it differently.

Because Bicycle do sell their decks in half brick boxes (6 decks). Still 12 for me though.

And that's sort of my point. I though 6 decks was considered half a brick. Then again, I've only seen it used on many different sites and by almost every single card manufacturer or card company out there. I don't really know where one would find the definition of a "brick" of cards.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:23:37 PM by Michael »

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 03:04:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you ask me, it's simply a matter of a confused staffer at Wingra Direct or USPC (whichever of the two actually runs Club 808) getting the concept of the size of a brick wrong.  The 12-deck brick is an industry standard, it's what wholesalers and retailers use when measuring quantities.  Because a complete box of the Club 808 decks is only six, some goofball copy writer mixed up "box" and "brick" when he wrote the copy for the contest.

The only other possibility is that USPC calls a "brick" any box large enough to hold more than a few decks.  But that would make ZERO sense, because if I was selling decks by the brick but all the bricks were different sizes, my customers would be scratching their heads and asking if I was stoned or just stupid.

If you look over the decks selling in the Club 808 shop, they still call a "case" 24 decks, just as a case of beers or a case of sodas is 24 cans or bottles.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
A BRICK will always be 12 decks. Deriving from a the obvious, a block or a single unit of a ceramic material used in masonry construction. A brick of decks is called a brick because of its width x height x length. It has nothing to do with how many decks.

If the industry must have a name for 6 decks, then just call it a BAR. As in a "BAR of soap" or a "BAR of gold".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:32:36 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 01:10:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A BRICK will always be 12 decks. Deriving from a the obvious, a block or a single unit of a ceramic material used in masonry construction. A brick of decks is called a brick because of its width x height x length. It has nothing to do with how many decks.

If the industry must have a name for 6 decks, then just call it a BAR. As in a "BAR of soap" or a "BAR of gold".

I've always called the six-deck boxes "half-bricks", since they hold half as much as a brick...  "Bar" wouldn't exactly make sense, because the box's dimensions more closely resemble that of a masonry brick than a standard brick box does!  Brick is a known quantity, so half-brick should do fine.

Either that, or go metric already!  Everything in units of ten!  :))
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:10:59 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
A 6 deck group is more affordable (Duh) than a 12 deck group. Since they could come in a custom 6 deck box in an approximate brick shape, I could see them still being referred to as a brick. They need a cute term like "Short brick" or something like that to differentiate them for a full, traditional deck. I don't know it for a fact, but I would be that it's being done to give more people the ability to buy a standard sized grouping, but they haven't come up with a new term. Just a possibility to ponder.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I've always called the six-deck boxes "half-bricks", since they hold half as much as a brick...  "Bar" wouldn't exactly make sense, because the box's dimensions more closely resemble that of a masonry brick than a standard brick box does!  Brick is a known quantity, so half-brick should do fine.

Either that, or go metric already!  Everything in units of ten!  :))

"Half-Brick", Thats what I've always used. I guess some people cant be troubled using two words to describe things.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 12:10:14 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
And I like "half-brick" as a term for 6. I can see why a company would sell a half-brick as a "bulk" amount as well as a more affordable option as compared to a full brick. What confuses me is why Bicycle has used the term "brick" to describe 6 decks on more than one occasion now. Maybe as Legacy stated, they just don't care if they use the same term for two quantity amounts?

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
And I like "half-brick" as a term for 6. I can see why a company would sell a half-brick as a "bulk" amount as well as a more affordable option as compared to a full brick. What confuses me is why Bicycle has used the term "brick" to describe 6 decks on more than one occasion now. Maybe as Legacy stated, they just don't care if they use the same term for two quantity amounts?

Again, I think it's just lazy writing on the part of the staffer writing these things for USPC on the Club 808 site.  Someone probably told him that a box was a brick, referring to the standard dozen box, and he's simply using brick to refer to any box - it's dumb, but unfortunately believable.  Just because a particular box is a brick, that doesn't make ALL boxes a brick - only in this guy's mind...

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Again, I think it's just lazy writing on the part of the staffer writing these things for USPC on the Club 808 site.  Someone probably told him that a box was a brick, referring to the standard dozen box, and he's simply using brick to refer to any box - it's dumb, but unfortunately believable.  Just because a particular box is a brick, that doesn't make ALL boxes a brick - only in this guy's mind...

I can see that as a very probable thing to have happened. And honestly, I rather believed someone was lazy or just confused than to think a major card company like Bicycle is trying to redefine what a brick is. Not really a big deal in my mind anymore when I think it's just some guy confused and neglecting to ask what a brick meant.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I can see that as a very probable thing to have happened. And honestly, I rather believed someone was lazy or just confused than to think a major card company like Bicycle is trying to redefine what a brick is. Not really a big deal in my mind anymore when I think it's just some guy confused and neglecting to ask what a brick meant.

Hey, don't forget - this is the company that screwed up the Fontaine deck tuck box, the Bohemia deck, the Bee Coterie deck, etc., and allowed the bribing of some print staffers by two WSOP players to have the WSOP 2011 Tournament decks to be marked to indicate low-value cards...  They've shown there's as fallible as the next guy - just on a much bigger scale!