Bicycle Wealth Playing Cards

Author (Read 1824 times)

Bicycle Wealth Playing Cards
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
"Manufactured by the one and only Bicycle company"

Goal is set to $1,000 dollars, printed by USPCC (I suppose not to happen with $1,000)

The title of the projects names the cards "Wealth" but in the pledges the are refered to as "Majestic Deck".

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894163124/majestic-bicycle-wealth-playing-cards
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:26:14 AM by BastianBJ »

Re: Wealth/Majestic Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
$15

Recolored standard court cards.

Glaring one way back with massive potential for 2 way back.

Freakishly low goal.

Outlandish, random and out of place joker.

Mediocre design at best.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:10:20 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If he lowered the price, edited the back, and actually figured out the cost for making the deck I would be interested.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »

ParteePartee

• Newcomer
hi guys,

I am the owner of that kickstarter page. I do not mind being butchered. This will would have been my first run of a print for USPCC. I didn't have any idea how expensive it would have been to print a deck of cards. Throughout today I have been getting emails on how to help until I ran into John. He sent me to this website to get a little guidance because of my low knowledge of print runs.

Any and all advice would be muck appreciated.
Thanks,   

First USPCC Run
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »

ParteePartee

• Newcomer
Hi, I am the one that was on kickstarter with the BAD… first card project. I am looking to know anything and everything that is needed to be known when printing and shipping cards. I did not know that cards could be so expensive. I was currently help by a former Kickstarter by the name of John. He insisted on me to come to aethercards.com to seek help and end my project because I was illy prepared.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:20:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
hi guys,

I am the owner of that kickstarter page. I do not mind being butchered. This will would have been my first run of a print for USPCC. I didn't have any idea how expensive it would have been to print a deck of cards. Throughout today I have been getting emails on how to help until I ran into John. He sent me to this website to get a little guidance because of my low knowledge of print runs.

Any and all advice would be muck appreciated.
Thanks,

I suppose first and foremost to me would be "Where the hell is the project page?"  I can't find it anywhere.  If you could tell me where it is, it would be "muck appreciated."  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
I suppose first and foremost to me would be "Where the hell is the project page?"  I can't find it anywhere.  If you could tell me where it is, it would be "muck appreciated."  :))

Sorry, I forgot to add the link... here it is  :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894163124/majestic-bicycle-wealth-playing-cards

The project have been canceled though

Re: First USPCC Run
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:22:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi, I am the one that was on kickstarter with the BAD… first card project. I am looking to know anything and everything that is needed to be known when printing and shipping cards. I did not know that cards could be so expensive. I was currently help by a former Kickstarter by the name of John. He insisted on me to come to aethercards.com to seek help and end my project because I was illy prepared.

No wonder I never got to see the project's home page...

Before you attempt another Kickstarter project, bear in mind that it's a serious business venture.  Failure to follow through on your rewards can actually result in civil and criminal charges being brought against you.  It's not something you do lightheartedly with little concern for consequences.

Your deck could be summed up very easily: USPC-standard faces in black, white and green, custom one-way back design, and very little else.  What specifically brought you to designing a deck in the first place?  Because from the looks of it, at least on the surface, it appears that you simply wanted to put something together that would make lots of money for you (somehow), with very little attention paid to the actual design work.  The most successful decks here aren't so bland and cookie-cutter.  They're examples of projects where the design and art were at the top of the list of motivations for the project's creator(s).  They did what they loved and they did it well - the money just followed from there.

Before considering any deck design, think of what it is you want to accomplish with your project.  You'll probably receive no more attention to your deck than what you put into it in the first place, and possibly even less.  Many far-better designs have crashed and burned - without some heart and soul invested in it, you stand little chance, and even then there's no guarantees.

Let's look at originality - it's never mandatory that a design be completely original, but again, all those top-grossing decks were made from designs that were considered unique at the time they were made.  There's been a good number of Cthulhu/Lovecraft-based decks in recent months, but the progenitor of them all was Bicycle the Call of Cthulhu, now ranked #3 highest-grossing deck - all the others came later and had varying degrees of success.  Being the first of a kind, a trendsetter who triggers a popular theme/craze, will make it more likely (again, never guaranteed) that your deck will become very successful, even if you aren't aiming for the top three or even the top five.  The only time mediocre designs "succeed" is when the designer aims very low, using a cheap printer that allows for small print runs and lowering the bar for what's needed to succeed.  Even then, they often hit their goals with the slimmest of margins for error - or not at all.

Your design would have been practically innovative - perhaps fifteen years ago.  Today, it's more like "So what, I've seen this before and done better - what else ya got?"  Spend some time researching what came before and that might give you an idea of what hasn't come yet and interests you.  And no, a deck need not be 100% original in concept, but it needs to have something about it that makes it stand out from the crowd, or it will end up trampled and ignored.  It has to have something that will draw people to it like moths to a neon sign on a hot summer night.  If you don't do at least that, your expectations of success would be about as realistic as a freshman high school student and art neophyte becoming the next DaVinci before his senior year.

I could ramble on and on, but I think you have enough to chew on for now.  I haven't even touched upon the research required for pricing your deck and calculating your shipping costs for whatever tiers you create and add-ons you offer...

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sorry, I forgot to add the link... here it is  :)

The project have been canceled though

Since this is a deck that's literally back on the drawing board, I'm merging this with the Design/Dev topic on the same deck.

Re: Bicycle Wealth Playing Cards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:45:34 AM »

ParteePartee

• Newcomer
… I shall do… not try…

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
$15

Recolored standard court cards.

Glaring one way back with massive potential for 2 way back.

Freakishly low goal.

Outlandish, random and out of place joker.

Mediocre design at best.

Your posts are hilarious.  ;D
Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I like the color.  There you go, one positive.  :)  And Don, that's for the Business Ethics and Card Development lecture, it sounds sort of rote, do you repeat that muck?   ;)

There is room for good designers, but if you want to make money at this game, you've got to become a great designer.  You can't just be one, you have to work at it.  Thanks I'm on step 2 of my 12 step program for card designers anonymous; admitting I have a problem.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I just wanted to mention that I am not a previous kickstarter. I just have been on this end long enough to learn that its not easy on the other end.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.