cards95

What do card clips actually do?

Re: Card clips
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
They protect your cards.  The good ones, like Joe Porper's model, also apply pressure to the cards while they're in the box, functioning like a portable deck press to keep the cards flat.  Cardists love flat cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about clips; the general consensus is that Porper clips are the best for keeping the cards in great shape but are really hard on the tucks, which is kind of a turn off. But I haven't heard anything reliable about any of the poly/synth/plastic clips. Also I remember seeing a bamboo clip for the... Tendrils deck was it? That was supposed to be pretty good, but I heard that there were a lot of issues behind the scenes that were making people unhappy with whomever was producing them.

Is there a good thread that covers Card Clips in a kind of pro's/con's format, or just a good breakdown of clips in general? I haven't had too much luck with the search function and this seemed like a good place to ask for opinions and suggestions. The ones that keep catching my eye are DDs Classic Clips, which are Porper clips but do not have the "M" bend to even the pressure.. Is that going to be a detriment in the long run?

Also: On DD in the images for their Classic Clips they show some leather wrapped clips that look really nice but they don't offer them as a 'color option'. I contacted them a while back and they just said they "Might be getting more in"... Does anyone have one of these? Are they nice? Will DD ever get more of them in do you think?

[Edited to ammend a question]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:31:07 PM by GBTP »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about clips; the general consensus is that Porper clips are the best for keeping the cards in great shape but are really hard on the tucks, which is kind of a turn off. But I haven't heard anything reliable about any of the poly/synth/plastic clips. Also I remember seeing a bamboo clip for the... Tendrils deck was it? That was supposed to be pretty good, but I heard that there were a lot of issues behind the scenes that were making people unhappy with whomever was producing them.

Is there a good thread that covers Card Clips in a kind of pro's/con's format, or just a good breakdown of clips in general? I haven't had too much luck with the search function and this seemed like a good place to ask for opinions and suggestions. The ones that keep catching my eye are DDs Classic Clips, which are Porper clips but do not have the "M" bend to even the pressure.. Is that going to be a detriment in the long run?

I don't think we've done a clips-only thread.

Joseph Porper clips are the gold standard.  Yes, they apply good pressure to a pack of cards.  Yes, this can abuse the tuck box a bit.  But if you're a cardist or a magician who insists on perfectly flat cards, it's the best, simplest solution.

Plastic clips - haven't personally evaluated any, but I can't imagine they'd apply the same pressure as a Porper.  I'd also think they'd be less durable.  A Porper isn't bent metal - it's carved from a solid brick of aluminum.  Terribly strong.

The bamboo clips were called Eco Clips, a product of Conjuring Creations.  The inventor, Robert Butler (screen name: Robert) developed them and they were quite successful, but he over-promised a little on the supply and couldn't make them quickly enough.  He folded shop on making those, but has switched to Loop Cuts and a plastic clip design.  i have a pair of the prototypes and two Tendril clips.  They were bulkier than most clips and don't apply pressure as well as a Porper, but they were also lighter and did a better job of protecting the tuck boxes.

There are some variants on the Porper.  Dan and Dave have been doing assorted decorative clips, the most recent of which don't have the M-shaped spring in the spine.  David Blaine did his own version of leather-wrapped Porpers with his logo on the inside of the spine - he sold his most recent ones with a very rare deck of White Lions gaff cards.  Then there are the non-Porpers, mostly lightweight bent steel - Ellusionist have some with decorative designs to match their custom decks, and Zenneth Kok had some that could be used for a "blister" card prediction routine quite nicely.  Lastly, there are the cheap Porper knock-offs from China and the generic clips.

A newer category of deck protectors is the deck case - technically, it's an older category since portable leather deck cases have been around for decades if not longer.  But there are more recent innovations, such as a flip-open model that can be worn on a belt and made with a custom design on them - they've been popular on a number of KS projects.  Ellusionist has their "straight-jacket" case - canvas and leather, designed to look like a Houdini-era straightjacket; I'm told there's some tricks that can be done using them.  Lastly, there's CARC's newest entry in the category, the card jacket - a thick paperboard box that encloses an entire tuck box.  They look kind of nice and do provide a bit of protection to the tuck, but they won't apply an iota of pressure to keep the cards flat, as will none of the other models I mentioned in this paragraph.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:05:28 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Joseph Porper clips are the gold standard.  Yes, they apply good pressure to a pack of cards.  Yes, this can abuse the tuck box a bit.  But if you're a cardist or a magician who insists on perfectly flat cards, it's the best, simplest solution.
There are some variants on the Porper.  Dan and Dave have been doing assorted decorative clips, the most recent of which don't have the M-shaped spring in the spine.

Thanks Don, I appreciate the info.
In your personal opinion do you think the M bend offers better hold (i.e. a more even pressure) to a degree that makes them worth getting over the 'straight backed' Porpers like DD offers?

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
also there is the vault by Jamie D Grant. Its a clip and a trick.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
There are some variants on the Porper.  Dan and Dave have been doing assorted decorative clips, the most recent of which don't have the M-shaped spring in the spine.

Thanks Don, I appreciate the info.
In your personal opinion do you think the M bend offers better hold (i.e. a more even pressure) to a degree that makes them worth getting over the 'straight backed' Porpers like DD offers?

One the one hand, the M spring does provide tension.  But on the other hand, since his clips are still carved from solid aluminum, I'm thinking they're pretty firm to start with.  The major drawback to the D&D clips is the huge price tag.

You're right - I forgot about that one.  It hasn't received much discussion in recent months.  Also, it's less of a clip, more of a case, due to the way it's constructed.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
The Vault is not a trick. But it helps to do one of Jamie's trick easier without the need of removing it from the card case, In this case the Vault.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
My bad, industrial revolution.  :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I haven't had too much luck with the search function and this seemed like a good place to ask for opinions and suggestions.

[Edited to ammend a question]

Quick tip on the search function...
It only searches the board you are in so make sure you search from the home page for the widest variety of hits.  Took me a while to figure this out but I thought it might be limiting your searches unbeknownst to you.  This of course doesn't mean you can't ask the question I just thought this may help in the future.  If you already knew this then carry on.   :)

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
It only searches the board you are in so make sure you search from the home page for the widest variety of hits.  Took me a while to figure this out but I thought it might be limiting your searches unbeknownst to you.  This of course doesn't mean you can't ask the question I just thought this may help in the future.  If you already knew this then carry on.   :)

I didn't know that!! That's really good to know! Thanks kdklown! I will definitely keep that in mind; I would have never known...  :karrit:

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I didn't know that!! That's really good to know! Thanks kdklown! I will definitely keep that in mind; I would have never known...  :karrit:

To perform a search of the entire forum, do it from the home page of the site.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I have one of the d&d clasic clips and they do the job just fine. One thing to remember is that they are only made for 52 cards and you will have to "break it in". It will be extremely tight at first so DO NOT out a nice tuck in it. Put a crapy deck in and leave it for a while. You might have to destroy the tuck getting it out.
have you heard the word???