You are Here:
[ISO] Ohio Arrcos, Tally Ho, Stud, RJRTC & Bee EATCT (US)

Author (Read 1965 times)

[ISO] Ohio Arrcos, Tally Ho, Stud, RJRTC & Bee EATCT (US)
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »

Benjam

• True Member
Hey there everyone! For those that don't know me, my name's Ben and I live in Australia

HOWEVER I have a friend who's going to the US very soon who I have a bit of a deal with (he brings back decks of cards for me that I send to his address in the USA).

So I figured I might as well capitalise on this opportunity and post about some decks I'm looking for, in the (possibly vain) hope that someone has some they're willing to sell at a decent price.

If you have any of these and willing to sell, please don't hesitate to contact me and we can start negotiating :)
Contact by email or PM is fine (email: benjam.on.toast@gmail.com)

- OHIO Arrco US Regulations playing cards (red/blue) (looking for a fairly substantial quantity, up to a brick, but contact me if you've got anything)
- Bee Watermelon (RJRTC) playing cards (red/blue)
- OHIO Tally Ho Circle Back playing cards (red/blue) (preferably blue seal)
- OHIO Stud playing cards (red/blue)
- Bee Expert at the Card Table playing cards (green) (v1 or v2 is fine, doesn't matter)

I'm not looking to pay HEAPS for these decks, but if I you give me a good price you will DEFINITELY have a buyer!
So yeah, thanks for reading... Contact me if you like the sound of this :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:06:59 AM by Benjam »

Re: [ISO] Ohio Arrcos, Tally Ho, Stud, RJRTC & Bee EATCT (US)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey there everyone! For those that don't know me, my name's Ben and I live in Australia

HOWEVER I have a friend who's going to the US very soon who I have a bit of a deal with (he brings back decks of cards for me that I send to his address in the USA).

So I figured I might as well capitalise on this opportunity and post about some decks I'm looking for, in the (possibly vain) hope that someone has some they're willing to sell at a decent price.

If you have any of these and willing to sell, please don't hesitate to contact me and we can start negotiating :)

- OHIO Arrco US Regulations playing cards (red/blue) (looking for a fairly substantial quantity, up to a brick, but contact me if you've got anything)
- OHIO Tally Ho Circle Back playing cards (red/blue) (doesn't matter if they have black seals, as long as they are MADE in the old Ohio factory and have that same old Ohio feel & stock)
- Bee Expert at the Card Table playing cards (green) (v1 or v2 is fine, doesn't matter)

I'm not looking to pay HEAPS for these decks, but if I you give me a good price you will DEFINITELY have a buyer.

Hey, Ben,

I should point out to you that the Tally Ho decks you're seeking really should have a blue seal on them.  Many if not most of the Ohio tuck boxes with the black seals are actually made in Erlanger when you look at the guarantee joker inside. The tucks were already printed and USPC didn't want to waste them.

But believe it or not, any deck printed after 2010 from Erlanger should be fine.  The quality control issues they were having were over by then, and a late-model KY deck could even exceed an OH deck in quality.  The tuck boxes now have copyright dating on the bottom.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »

Benjam

• True Member

- OHIO Tally Ho Circle Back playing cards (red/blue) (doesn't matter if they have black seals, as long as they are MADE in the old Ohio factory and have that same old Ohio feel & stock)

I'm not looking to pay HEAPS for these decks, but if I you give me a good price you will DEFINITELY have a buyer.

Hey, Ben,

I should point out to you that the Tally Ho decks you're seeking really should have a blue seal on them.  Many if not most of the Ohio tuck boxes with the black seals are actually made in Erlanger when you look at the guarantee joker inside. The tucks were already printed and USPC didn't want to waste them.

But believe it or not, any deck printed after 2010 from Erlanger should be fine.  The quality control issues they were having were over by then, and a late-model KY deck could even exceed an OH deck in quality.  The tuck boxes now have copyright dating on the bottom.

Thanks for the info, I modified the post :)
And yeah, I am aware of that but I've always wanted to try out an old Ohio Tally Ho deck just because they seem to have such a reputation haha but thanks anyway!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey, Ben,

And yeah, I am aware of that but I've always wanted to try out an old Ohio Tally Ho deck just because they seem to have such a reputation haha but thanks anyway!

Well, if that's the case - if you have a hard time finding a basic Ohio-made deck, try either the Gold Series or the Platinum Series decks.

The Platinum series was the green deck with the "platinum" border on the back of the cards commissioned by Tomohiro Maeda, a prominent Japanese magician.

The Gold series come in two varieties.  There's the "basic issue", available in red and blue, and there's the ones that were commissioned by Tomohiro Maeda (apparently he loves Tally Ho decks, even had a blue mini TH deck made).  The Maeda versions come in blue, red and "sky blue", a much lighter shade, and they have different jokers than the standard ones.  However, bear in mind that externally, there is NO WAY to tell the difference between the blue and red Maeda decks and the other blue and red Gold series decks - only way to know for sure is to open the box.  Every last marking on the tuck box that's visible is identical on both.

Bizarre as it sounds, you might find it easier to find one of those rare decks instead a standard-issue Circle or Fan back from the Ohio plant.  The deck is considered "regional" by USPC, much like Mavericks and Texans, which usually don't get sold outside of their region unless they appear in a card collector/magic shop - you wouldn't find it in the corner drugstore or convenience store outside of its region.  The region for TH, unfortunately, is VERY small - the city of New York and that's it.  Compared to Bicycle, Bee, etc., relatively few of those decks were made, so not many are left lying around.  Hopefully, they'll never stop making new TH decks, despite the small size of the region - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that region growing any time soon.  They argue that big national chains mostly want brands that people all over the country will recognize - which they never will if they aren't carried by big national chains...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:51:41 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »

Benjam

• True Member

Hey, Ben,

Well, if that's the case - if you have a hard time finding a basic Ohio-made deck, try either the Gold Series or the Platinum Series decks.

The Platinum series was the green deck with the "platinum" border on the back of the cards commissioned by Tomohiro Maeda, a prominent Japanese magician.

The Gold series come in two varieties.  There's the "basic issue", available in red and blue, and there's the ones that were commissioned by Tomohiro Maeda (apparently he loves Tally Ho decks, even had a blue mini TH deck made).  The Maeda versions come in blue, red and "sky blue", a much lighter shade, and they have different jokers than the standard ones.  However, bear in mind that externally, there is NO WAY to tell the difference between the blue and red Maeda decks and the other blue and red Gold series decks - only way to know for sure is to open the box.  Every last marking on the tuck box that's visible is identical on both.

Bizarre as it sounds, you might find it easier to find one of those rare decks instead a standard-issue Circle or Fan back from the Ohio plant.  The deck is considered "regional" by USPC, much like Mavericks and Texans, which usually don't get sold outside of their region unless they appear in a card collector/magic shop - you wouldn't find it in the corner drugstore or convenience store outside of its region.  The region for TH, unfortunately, is VERY small - the city of New York and that's it.  Compared to Bicycle, Bee, etc., relatively few of those decks were made, so not many are left lying around.  Hopefully, they'll never stop making new TH decks, despite the small size of the region - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that region growing any time soon.  They argue that big national chains mostly want brands that people all over the country will recognize - which they never will if they aren't carried by big national chains...

Always the best advice from Don haha I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking through ebay, because I have seen those gold trimmed Ohio TH decks on ebay before, so maybe I'll just pick those up :)

And yeah, it is kind of paradoxical isn't it? THs will only become a big national brand if the big national chains stock them, which they won't, because TH decks aren't a big national brand like Bicycle hahaha
But yeah I agree, hopefully the Tally Hos continue!

Just as a kind of general question, where would be the best online store to buy recent Tally Ho decks from 2011 onwards? Do you think Theory 11 sell the more recent ones, or would they still have stocks from 2009/2010? Because I want to make sure I'm getting new Tally Ho decks that are from AFTER the whole quality control issues!

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Just as a kind of general question, where would be the best online store to buy recent Tally Ho decks from 2011 onwards? Do you think Theory 11 sell the more recent ones, or would they still have stocks from 2009/2010? Because I want to make sure I'm getting new Tally Ho decks that are from AFTER the whole quality control issues!

Probably someone like Theory11.  They are a smallish retailer, so they won't be carrying decades worth of stock, but at the same time they're popular, insuring that their turn-over is quick.

You could also try Wingra Direct, better known as shopbicyclecards.com.  They're owned by USPC.

Another one to try would be Kardwell International.  Kardwell might not have the freshest stock, though - when I ordered the Streamlines I use at the hospital, they sent me some cheaply made decks from China instead of the newer US-made stuff.

Last decent one I could think of is Murphy's Magic Supplies, but they only deal in wholesale - not a bad bet if your friend has the proper business licenses.

Regardless of who you choose, simply ask about what year the decks were made - it's clearly marked on the bottom of the tuck box.

EDIT: did some price checking.  Wingra has the worst deal - full retail, between $4.50 and $5 a pack depending on quantity.  Kardwell is SLIGHTLY cheaper than T11, but the minimum purchase is 72 decks.  T11 is likely the best bet you have for good price and fresh stock.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:50:47 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »

Benjam

• True Member

Probably someone like Theory11.  They are a smallish retailer, so they won't be carrying decades worth of stock, but at the same time they're popular, insuring that their turn-over is quick.

You could also try Wingra Direct, better known as shopbicyclecards.com.  They're owned by USPC.

Another one to try would be Kardwell International.  Kardwell might not have the freshest stock, though - when I ordered the Streamlines I use at the hospital, they sent me some cheaply made decks from China instead of the newer US-made stuff.

Last decent one I could think of is Murphy's Magic Supplies, but they only deal in wholesale - not a bad bet if your friend has the proper business licenses.

Regardless of who you choose, simply ask about what year the decks were made - it's clearly marked on the bottom of the tuck box.

EDIT: did some price checking.  Wingra has the worst deal - full retail, between $4.50 and $5 a pack depending on quantity.  Kardwell is SLIGHTLY cheaper than T11, but the minimum purchase is 72 decks.  T11 is likely the best bet you have for good price and fresh stock.

Good to know :) thanks again! I'll probably stick with T11 then

To everyone else, I'm still open to everything on that list!