Royal Optik, from Uusi (KS)

Author (Read 6069 times)

Re: Royal Optik, from Uusi (KS)
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey P&L

Just received the latest update with the overfunding goals. I really hope you get 700% your looking for. With the 2 specific colors strictly being used for this project nothing would be more complementary then it's red counterpart.

Will there be updated rewards to help you get to your 700% goal? It looks like most of your high end rewards are gone or limited, making your goal more difficult to obtain.

That might not be an issue.  Uusi decks have become more popular with each successive release.  They did 400% on their last project, Bohemia.

BTW: Peter & Linnea - I don't know if you noticed, but we're having a tournament for "best deck of cards" chosen in a somewhat arbitrary manner by votes (OK, it's only a handful of people voting, but still...)  I started a contest when we were down to only thirty-two decks remaining - pick the winners of the remaining matches, whoever gets the most gets a prize.  (It's in the Deck Battles board.)

Of the eight contestants, four chose your Bohemia deck to be the champion and one more chose it to make it to the finals!

So, while that's hardly a good sample from which to make an analysis, I suspect this deck will have a great following!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Let me list a few things I really like about this deck.

1. Great Color selection.
So many deck designers don't realize the power of NOT picking a completely saturated color to design with. The easiest way to make any design seem unfinished or collegiate in execution is to slap some 255 red or blue on their. Great job guys.

2. Fresh Court Cards.
I don't own my own Bohemian deck, but can already feel Usi's style spanning both of the decks.

3. Extreme Readability and Functionality of the number cards.

4. Ignoring the corners of the tuck case.
I like the full wrap design.

The only crit that I would say, and it super small is that I would like to see the numbers hand drawn as well. I want to see slight imperfections in the edge quality just like is in the courts. It will even sell the fact that someone painted this.

Great work guys, can't wait to get my deck.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The only crit that I would say, and it super small is that I would like to see the numbers hand drawn as well. I want to see slight imperfections in the edge quality just like is in the courts. It will even sell the fact that someone painted this.

Actually, I think they are.  I know they were for the Bohemia deck and this deck shares many of the same design elements.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hey P&L

Just received the latest update with the overfunding goals. I really hope you get 700% your looking for. With the 2 specific colors strictly being used for this project nothing would be more complementary then it's red counterpart.

Will there be updated rewards to help you get to your 700% goal? It looks like most of your high end rewards are gone or limited, making your goal more difficult to obtain.
Hi Legacy,

Thanks for the support in hoping we reach the goal for printing a second color deck! Yeah, the design/color scheme we are working on for a second deck looks great with the black Royal Optik tuck box - and yes, it is a darkish red background with the same off white/cream pattern color as the black tuck, and of course the backs would match.

As far as adding more rewards, this is something we are working on. We have a couple designs for items that are a compliment to the deck stands and card cases, that I am currently developing in the shop/studio that should be up on our KS page soon. We would definitely do mixed bricks if we reach the second color goal (and of course there would be the red uncuts). Interestingly enough though, most of ones funding in KS card deck projects comes from 1, 2 and 3 deck pledges and also brick pledges. The extra incentive items ( T-shirts, prints, deck stands, card cases etc.) definitely add a nice boost in over funding goals though.

.....................................................................................
http://uusi.us/
http://uusi.us/blogs/gibber-ish

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Hey P&L

That might not be an issue.  Uusi decks have become more popular with each successive release.  They did 400% on their last project, Bohemia.

BTW: Peter & Linnea - I don't know if you noticed, but we're having a tournament for "best deck of cards" chosen in a somewhat arbitrary manner by votes (OK, it's only a handful of people voting, but still...)  I started a contest when we were down to only thirty-two decks remaining - pick the winners of the remaining matches, whoever gets the most gets a prize.  (It's in the Deck Battles board.)

Of the eight contestants, four chose your Bohemia deck to be the champion and one more chose it to make it to the finals!

So, while that's hardly a good sample from which to make an analysis, I suspect this deck will have a great following!  :))

Thanks for that vote of confidence Don! Even though we are off to a great start, reaching 700% is really going to be a challenge. We are hoping our backers can really spread the word and we will be posting some new rewards in the upcoming week. It would be really great to see the red Royal Optik deck get printed!

Thanks for the heads up on the Deck Battle contest! That's awesome that Bohemia's in the running.
.....................................................................................

"Opportunity is missed by people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison
....................................................................................

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
Let me list a few things I really like about this deck.

1. Great Color selection.
So many deck designers don't realize the power of NOT picking a completely saturated color to design with. The easiest way to make any design seem unfinished or collegiate in execution is to slap some 255 red or blue on their. Great job guys.

2. Fresh Court Cards.
I don't own my own Bohemian deck, but can already feel Usi's style spanning both of the decks.

3. Extreme Readability and Functionality of the number cards.

4. Ignoring the corners of the tuck case.
I like the full wrap design.

Hey Jackson,
Thanks for the call out on those design points - pretty much spot on. As for the numeric and lettered indices, our thinking is that ever since they have been in use on playing cards they have pretty much been typeset ( with maybe some rare exceptions) so to us that seems consistent, but we do and try to add some hand feel to them by filling their form with hand painted color fields.
Thanks again!
BTW - those uncuts you sent out in your update look awesome!

Thomas Edison

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Project Update #7:

Thanks for the teaser "Royal Optik Red"

I really wish there was more I could do to help make it happen (bump)  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:25:23 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Project Update #7:

To say nothing of a fine, handcrafted wooden box that holds at least a half-dozen decks...  :))

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Project Update #7:

To say nothing of a fine, handcrafted wooden box that holds at least a half-dozen decks...  :))

No doubt the box is beautiful. They were already gone by the time I got the email that five more had been added. Do you know if these boxes will be branded with the Uusi name? That would be a nice touch. I think what ended up happening is instead of new backers of the project, existing backers ended up upgrading their current pledge to get the box.

Let's speak hypothetically for a moment. What happens if the project does not get back over 700%? Is that the end of the red deck discussion? Or will they consider creating another Kickstarter project to fund the red deck?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:29:22 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Project Update #7:

No doubt the box is beautiful. They were already gone by the time I got the email that five more had been added. Do you know if these boxes will be branded with the Uusi name? That would be a nice touch. I think what ended up happening is instead of new backers of the project, existing backers ended up upgrading their current pledge to get the box.

Let's speak hypothetically for a moment. What happens if the project does not get back over 700%? Is that the end of the red deck discussion? Or will they consider creating another Kickstarter project to fund the red deck?

I got a closer look at that box - a brick of cards in a beautiful wooden case.  Nice.

I don't know if they will be Uusi-branded, but I'd be surprised if they weren't identified in some manner as being from Uusi's studio.  And as long as the money comes in, so what if it's from an existing backer?  He likely has added as much to the project as any new investor to upgrade, because in most cases whatever goodies they may have pledged for already they would still want!

As far as the red deck, I can't speak with utter authority, but having some idea of what Peter and Linnea are doing overall, I'd say no, if 700% isn't reached, no red deck, period and they'd be moving on to the next deck project.  Remember, they're a design company first - they intend to release exactly six designs and no more.  Is it possible they'd change their minds?  Anything is possible, but I wouldn't call it probable.

So what that means is that you need to drum up word about this awesome deck and get more people on the bandwagon if you want that cool red deck!

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
So excited to get these! The red looks amazing. Pleasant surprise when I saw this update sitting in my email. To be honest, the custom brick boxes are nice, but the red deck was a necessity of completeness.

THE RED DECK IS HERE!! - Project Update #8
Hi Everyone!

We promised you that if we got 700% of our goal that we'd introduce a red Royal Optik deck and make it available to you – but we, like you, just couldn't wait! We're making that deck available NOW! As a trade-off, in order to make this happen, we've had to make a few little changes, none of which I think you'll be entirely unhappy about.

The first change is that the custom brick box is now an overfunding goal at 700% instead of the red deck. The second change is that, rather than promising that exactly 5,000 Black decks will be made, we will make NO MORE than 5,000 – and quite possibly less, depending in part on the demands of the people pledging. The more black decks you pledge for, the more we'll make, up to the 5,000 deck limit. The red deck will be printed in whatever quantities are needed though it is very unlikely that we'll be ordering more than 5,000 of that deck as well.

Please note that the red deck will be offered ONLY AS AN ADD-ON. Any orders for decks in the reward tiers are for the black deck only. If you simply want to addd red decks to your existing reward tier, just add the required amount for the quantity you want. If you have more than one deck in your reward tier and want to swap out some black decks for red ones you can message us your changes to your reward tier. We will get back to you only if there is a problem with your swap, (ie, you've added more decks to your pledge than you have funding for).

The Add-On Chart below will also be appearing on the project home page and will be made as clear as possible. You'll be able to add other items as well, including black decks. In order to comply with Kickstarter rules, only 12 decks total per backer please.

Hope you enjoy the new red deck and please keep spreading the word on Royal Optik!

Linnea & Peter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:36:32 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 01:39:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So excited to get these! The red looks amazing. Pleasant surprise when I saw this update sitting in my email. To be honest, the custom brick boxes are nice, but the red deck was a necessity of completeness.

THE RED DECK IS HERE!! - Project Update #8
Hi Everyone!

We promised you that if we got 700% of our goal that we'd introduce a red Royal Optik deck and make it available to you – but we, like you, just couldn't wait! We're making that deck available NOW! As a trade-off, in order to make this happen, we've had to make a few little changes, none of which I think you'll be entirely unhappy about.

The first change is that the custom brick box is now an overfunding goal at 700% instead of the red deck. The second change is that, rather than promising that exactly 5,000 Black decks will be made, we will make NO MORE than 5,000 – and quite possibly less, depending in part on the demands of the people pledging. The more black decks you pledge for, the more we'll make, up to the 5,000 deck limit. The red deck will be printed in whatever quantities are needed though it is very unlikely that we'll be ordering more than 5,000 of that deck as well.

Please note that the red deck will be offered ONLY AS AN ADD-ON. Any orders for decks in the reward tiers are for the black deck only. If you simply want to addd red decks to your existing reward tier, just add the required amount for the quantity you want. If you have more than one deck in your reward tier and want to swap out some black decks for red ones you can message us your changes to your reward tier. We will get back to you only if there is a problem with your swap, (ie, you've added more decks to your pledge than you have funding for).

The Add-On Chart below will also be appearing on the project home page and will be made as clear as possible. You'll be able to add other items as well, including black decks. In order to comply with Kickstarter rules, only 12 decks total per backer please.

Hope you enjoy the new red deck and please keep spreading the word on Royal Optik!

Linnea & Peter

I wrote most of the copy you see in that update!  I take pride in my work!  :))

I'm very happy that Peter and Linnea opted to go for the red deck earlier than planned.  It's been barely more than a half-day and the pledges shot up by close to $5,000!

Deck designers - take note!  A second deck color, timed correctly, can really goose the bottom line.

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I love that shade of red that they used, gorgeous deck all around :)

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Deck designers - take note!  A second deck color, timed correctly, can really goose the bottom line.

Not taking anything away from the timing but this had more to do with the design and the project. Adding another deck before getting the overfunding is a calculated risk for any Kickstarter. One that I'm sure will payoff in this particular example.

The original stretch goal of 700% would have put Royal Optik at $63,000. We are not quite there yet. I hope everything works out in the end numbers wise for Uusi. This project deserves the support.

With the early release of the Red Deck, this project has that Labor of Love Tag written all over it.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:05:03 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Not taking anything away from the timing but this had more to do with the design and the project. Adding another deck before getting the overfunding is a calculated risk for any Kickstarter. One that I'm sure will payoff in this particular example.

The original stretch goal of 700% would have put Royal Optik at $63,000. We are not quite there yet. I hope everything works out in the end numbers wise for Uusi. This project deserves the support.

With the early release of the Red Deck, this project has that Labor of Love Tag written all over it.

I know...

What I meant by the timing was waiting until they were into overfunding and could clearly cover the costs of the second color deck without cramping the profits.  We're saying the same thing in different ways.

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member

Hi Legacy,

I just read your post and yes, these decks pretty much are a "Labor of Love". For some reason we really do not catch fire with the KS playing card backers. I think it is partly that we are very different from the vast majority of decks being made – our tuck boxes in particular do not follow the traditional look or template – and partly that we are not offering more popular, unlimited over funding items like dice or poker chips. It seems like Backers who seek our decks out, like yourself, are looking for something different and are extremely supportive and a pleasure to work with.  Success for us is creating something that matters and that feels complete, which is exactly why we brought out the red deck. Over funding is awesome at any level and obviously the more funding we get the more we can produce for this market. Though it would be sweet to see larger amounts of backers, it is wonderful to know the decks will be made. We can't wait to send them on to everyone!

Thomas Edison

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
You guys are doing an awesome job! So many projects now are like flea markets. I love that you guys are focusing on the quality of your decks as apposed to the visual vomit of rewards and trinkets. You guys have already established yourselves as one of the top designers when it comes to quality, awesome work keep it up. The shear number of projects out right now will only serve as a crucible for the peoples standards and expectations, a situation in which you guys will come out on top of when the bubble bursts.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
You guys are doing an awesome job! So many projects now are like flea markets. I love that you guys are focusing on the quality of your decks as apposed to the visual vomit of rewards and trinkets.

Agreed, amen and hallelujah to that. Way, way too many projects these days set tiny goals and then throw a dozen products at you hoping to make up the difference. It is a breath of fresh air to see thoughtful, complete design and just a couple highly-relevant items in a campaign. Maybe it won't break "records" but at least it makes the project easy to understand and deliver.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Agreed with everything said. Quality always trumps quantity.

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
First off I want to thank Jackson for posting our deck in an update to his backers today. It was an incredibly generous gesture that we greatly appreciated and is an awesome role model for other project creators. I suspect you are building up some mighty good karma there, Jackson!  Plan on being overwhelmed by your upcoming project :o  (I don't know what the hell that emoticon means, but I am using it as a super-rabid fan face who is dying to see more of that limited black deck!!)

Paul, your contribution to these discussions and your support of our projects from the beginning means so much to us!

We also agree with everyone that the bigger topic here is staying true to your design beliefs and not trying to pander and exploit a market that is having a moment. The second you give in to the chase for dollars over content you lose whatever was worth having about your idea. Its a one and done model that I don't think any of us want to participate in. We are honored to be included in such great company, to learn and share with everyone here and are looking forward to seeing how the custom deck market and your work in particular, evolves over the next few years.  Super exciting!!

Linnea

Thomas Edison

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I just read your post and yes, these decks pretty much are a "Labor of Love". For some reason we really do not catch fire with the KS playing card backers. I think it is partly that we are very different from the vast majority of decks being made – our tuck boxes in particular do not follow the traditional look or template – and partly that we are not offering more popular, unlimited over funding items like dice or poker chips...

Pop will be always more popular but... Uusi, please, stay Jazz.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just read your post and yes, these decks pretty much are a "Labor of Love". For some reason we really do not catch fire with the KS playing card backers. I think it is partly that we are very different from the vast majority of decks being made – our tuck boxes in particular do not follow the traditional look or template – and partly that we are not offering more popular, unlimited over funding items like dice or poker chips. It seems like Backers who seek our decks out, like yourself, are looking for something different and are extremely supportive and a pleasure to work with.  Success for us is creating something that matters and that feels complete, which is exactly why we brought out the red deck. Over funding is awesome at any level and obviously the more funding we get the more we can produce for this market. Though it would be sweet to see larger amounts of backers, it is wonderful to know the decks will be made. We can't wait to send them on to everyone!

My friends, while your deck might not be the blazing inferno of a Pedale Design or a Federal 52 (and now, Name of the Wind), you're indeed on fire.  Even in the early days of this Kickstarter trend for creating custom playing card decks, earning the kind of numbers that you guys are earning was considered pretty remarkable - and really, it still is.  As of this moment, you're funded at just over 475% of your goal, with over a week remaining - and it's not like you chose some low-ball goal to start with, either.  Considering that most projects that are big successes often receive a big ramp-up in funding towards the end of the campaign, you're on track now to easily surpass what you earned on the Bohemia project, and possibly by a significant number.  I'm predicting you'll close somewhere between 600-700% of you goal, minimum.  That's $54-63K, folks!

Don't sell this success short by any means - your project is a hit, plain and simple, and yet another milestone in a proven track record of success.  I can show you countless projects whose backers would give you their vital organs to have numbers as good as yours!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:43:00 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »

uusikissa1

• True Member
I just read your post and yes, these decks pretty much are a "Labor of Love". For some reason we really do not catch fire with the KS playing card backers. I think it is partly that we are very different from the vast majority of decks being made – our tuck boxes in particular do not follow the traditional look or template – and partly that we are not offering more popular, unlimited over funding items like dice or poker chips...

Pop will be always more popular but... Uusi, please, stay Jazz.

Ha! love that line, but I'm probably a little more metal than jazz...

Thomas Edison

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I received my mixed brick of Royal Optik decks on Thursday. I had an opportunity to open the package today. So happy I backed this deck. I've really enjoyed watching the transition that many designers are making from design first to attention to function details. This deck embodies Uusi more then any deck they have created to date. The pips have a Uusi style of their own. I really like how Uusi's wood working was incorporated in the line work of the Pips. The court cards are simply amazing!! Awesome that Uusi decided to stay with the RO Limited Seal for both decks. It does not get more perfect of a Kickstarter project then this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:15:53 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I just went to pick up my decks from he post office. Man, times like this I wished I lived in America because customs is a bitch. On this occasion, it's worh it though - Uusi, your decks r some of me favourite. I love the way you package the decks too, so neat and tightly boxed and then put in an envelope, not just crammed in like most companies do. Hats off to you, congratulations again on another successful deck. I look forward to the rest of the series.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)