Author (Read 14481 times)

Re: White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So does anyone else think the custom decks market is oversaturated with new stuff? When I joined the community we had one deck, maybe two, every months. A new release from E would be a huuuuge deal. Now I completely lost track of the decks they've released.

On one hand it makes the community grow as more people enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, I gave up collecting new decks because it's impossible to keep up. Even with millions of dollars, I can't even comprehend how I would store everything.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
So does anyone else think the custom decks market is oversaturated with new stuff? When I joined the community we had one deck, maybe two, every months. A new release from E would be a huuuuge deal. Now I completely lost track of the decks they've released.

On one hand it makes the community grow as more people enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, I gave up collecting new decks because it's impossible to keep up. Even with millions of dollars, I can't even comprehend how I would store everything.

I agree with you. I mean what's nice is that we don't have to buy all the new releases. I mean I've only purchased maybe five of the most recent releases from this year (not counting the few I back from Kickstarter). But with millions dollars I'd buy plenty and plenty of display cases and frames for decks and uncuts, respectively. :))
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Thank you... Well said... Not that kickstarter is solely to blame, but it certainly has helped to bastardize my once beloved hobby... I, for one am thinking of consolidating and unloading some of my collection... But the problem there, where there was once a few places to pick up decks, every Tom, Dick & Harry has their own store both here and on United trying to unload their bricks and bricks of worthless (oops, I mean valuable limited edition) decks...

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I just find it so sad.  Ellusionist's originality has gone right out the window, with the baby and the bathwater.  They were the innovators, and now they look like also-rans.  Fathom was "Artifice Wet" (nearly identical courts when you take away the bubble effect), this is "Artifice Ghost", the Limited Decks were "Artifice w/USPC standard faces"...  Even the Sultan Republic decks had the same indices as the LTD. - you could call them "Artifice on the Road to Morocco"...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I love the art work but I think it should no longer be a custom deck, just say hey guys if these sell we will make more. Don't make a big deal. Also I will say this is the 7th edition right? so blue,red,green,purple,black,white, and 2 of those have borderless edition. I just don't see the point. I like red,blue,and green. I love how they look in different colors but they are taking it to far.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I love the art work but I think it should no longer be a custom deck, just say hey guys if these sell we will make more. Don't make a big deal. Also I will say this is the 7th edition right? so blue,red,green,purple,black,white, and 2 of those have borderless edition. I just don't see the point. I like red,blue,and green. I love how they look in different colors but they are taking it to far.

I have no idea what you're talking about...  There's been two editions total, with two 1st Edition colors and five 2nd Edition colors.  "It should no longer be a custom deck?"  What does that even mean?  USPC will make this the new standard face or something?  How does one make a deck "no longer custom?"

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Sorry Don, I guess what i mean is 7th version. as in the 7th type of artifice they have sold. and as far as the custom deck comment, they make a big deal out of each one as if its a brand new custom deck. they should say we are now carrying artifice deck:insert color.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sorry Don, I guess what i mean is 7th version. as in the 7th type of artifice they have sold. and as far as the custom deck comment, they make a big deal out of each one as if its a brand new custom deck. they should say we are now carrying artifice deck:insert color.

The "big deal" you're thinking of is hype.  Theory11 used to have the hype machine cranked up to 11, but customers got fed up with it, it had a negative impact on the company's image and they appear to have dialed it back a bit.  Ellusionist is starting to look the same now as T11 did before.  All this buildup and fanfare for a deck that rips off two previous models at the same time?  Bah.  I'm still trying to figure out what they hell they were thinking...

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Fathom was "Artifice Wet" (nearly identical courts when you take away the bubble effect)

I have NO problem with E using and reusing artifice faces on their decks. The artifice court cards are beautiful. I thought it was tastefully used on the fathom deck. You can make the argument that the Fathom design changed the functionality of the cards. However they were unique. In the case of the Tundra, with all the alternative options available to us in custom designs, the deck is useless to me. The Black Ghost concept today belongs on a shelf, not being reapplied to newer decks.

The "big deal" you're thinking of is hype.  Theory11 used to have the hype machine cranked up to 11, but customers got fed up with it, it had a negative impact on the company's image and they appear to have dialed it back a bit.  Ellusionist is starting to look the same now as T11 did before.  All this buildup and fanfare for a deck that rips off two previous models at the same time?  Bah.  I'm still trying to figure out what they hell they were thinking...

I don't agree with this. If simply posting pictures of a product about to be released is cranking of the hype machine, then every company in America is guilty of that. I don't believe E thought we would have such a negative opinion of this design.  They're not marketing a deck that they are ashamed of. They obviously believe in their product and they are going to market it that way. Not every deck has to push the boundaries of design. E simply is giving customers another option. Am I disappointed with that option? Yes. Oh well, I just don't buy it, others will. On to the next design.

What's amazing to me is the way some of these companies design decks like a blind person feeling their way around a room with a walking cane. The problem is they produce decks trying to figure out what we (customer) want. Truth is, E should be designing decks for themselves. What does Brad like? What would Brad use for magic or at a poker game. Most customers don't know what they want until they see it being released by a company. People love the Madison Rounders. Why? It's what Madison likes. It's what Madison would use. It works for us functionally. What works for them is sure to work for us and our needs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:21:47 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What's amazing to me is the way some of these companies design decks like a blind person feeling their way around a room with a walking cane. The problem is they produce decks trying to figure out what we (customer) want. Truth is, E should be designing decks for themselves. What does Brad like? What would Brad use for magic or at a poker game. Most customers don't know what they want until they see it being released by a company. People love the Madison Rounders. Why? It's what Madison likes. It's what Madison would use. It works for us functionally. What works for them is sure to work for us and our needs.

Now this I agree with.  But what if Brad liked the idea of a Ghost Artifice...?

Functionality should be the most important criteria in a deck, particularly one that's meant for magic, cardistry and poker.  Frills, design quirks and gimmicks are the shell on the M&M candy, functionality is the chocolate inside - without which you don't have much of a deck.

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »

magimago

No matter how much i love Artifice, seeing the 7th versio of the same deck, feels like ive been eating my fav dish every day, it starts getting boring. They got so much designtalent, its time for a new series to keep customers interested, or at least me.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.

I agree with Don. I expected myself to this kind of colors.

True...

Opinions are divided and but all of you are right in one way or another. I will buy a few Tundra Artifice decks because I have all the others and it would be nice to have all 7 decks. E will definitely stop here with this series after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck. It was expected to bring out a white version deck of this Artifice series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work; they are a company and must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future (what people said) and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders is nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::) Just kidding :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:32:43 AM by mirciusx »
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.

I give up before I started after more than 2000$ spend on cards, most on E shop. I will definitely buy, but not in the near future.

Opinions are divided and somewhat all you're right. I will buy a few decks that I have all the others and it would be nice to have it all. E will definitely stop here after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck, even is somehow beautiful (for me). Was somehow expected to bring out a white version of this series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work, even they are a company and they must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders are nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::)

Guys, I don't want to sound rude, but I did not understand a single word he said...not one...  Did any of you?  It strongly resembled English but I'm not entirely certain...  :))

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

True...

Opinions are divided and but all of you are right in one way or another. I will buy a few Tundra Artifice decks because I have all the others and it would be nice to have all 7 decks. E will definitely stop here with this series after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck. It was expected to bring out a white version deck of this Artifice series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work; they are a company and must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future (what people said) and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders is nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::) Just kidding :)

Don, now it's better?! I am sorry about my English.

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

True...

Don, now it's better?! I am sorry about my English.

It now makes more sense, yes - thanks.  It's not perfect, but at least I can muddle through it!  :))

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I am glad :) You are so funny, you know?! :))

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
tomorrow is the release of the artifice tundra !!!

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Ellusionist...
What are you doing....
Please... my wallet...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I get a kick out of how they're giving away freebies for this one - for each BRICK you buy...

There's four hunks of swag.
Artifice iPhone 5 case
Artifice iPhone 4/4S case
"Silver" Luggage Tag
"Silver" Keychain

Buy a brick, get a hunk o' swag.  Limit three hunks.

I tell ya, now that I know I can get a free piece o' plastic to slap on my suitcase, I'm 0.7% more interested in getting a brick of Ellusionist's most lazy deck design to date...  And that's only because I couldn't possibly be LESS interested...

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If I had the money I would do it for the Iphone case. I am about to get an Iphone.

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If I had the money I would do it for the Iphone case. I am about to get an Iphone.

...because that would be soooooo much cheaper than simply buying the case...  :))

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I would get the case, and get to sell the decks to my friends. :) and I can't buy it since I am not a black club member. Do you want to get it for me? it would be a great early birthday present. :) lol
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:32:29 PM by John B. »

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
It's still a damn shame every time I think of this deck. The design is just so disappointing. I really was intending to buy this deck as well because it had potential with a stunning back design, sweet jokers, and a good following. If this is the last (which after many colors it should be), it'll be a sad way to end the series.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
this is, to me, is the most practical artifice in the series. I always love the back design, hated the white border ones, I guess this is the one for everyday use. But creativity and collection wise, yup, 0 interest value.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:53:17 PM by twiscold »

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
this is, to me, is the most practical artifice in the series. I always love the back design, hated the white border ones, I guess this is the one for everyday use. But creativity and collection wise, yup, 0 interest value.

I can see how a white backed one is more practical than the black backed ones (really don't like the black backs with white borders). I still like the white back as it is as well, there's no doubt about that. The apparent lack of creativity that went to the backs makes me not want these on principle. Oh well, if I end up finding these on eBay or something later down the road for cheap I'll pick one up. Or... Maybe not :)