White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist

Author (Read 14476 times)

Re: White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is looking very clean. As Don had mentioned prior, this is an inverse back design. As you all know the Artifice tuck boxes (Border or no Border) show the back design as it appears on the cards. This latest teaser of the box back I see no border. Hopefully that's only the box design. Maybe they fade to a white border on the actual cards. Based on what I see and the fact they are white cards, Ellusionist might not have seen any reason to have borders on this Tundra design. We will see... The no borders will make or break buying the decks for me. I'm a little more picky then most.

It's looking like a white deck with a white border - you should be very happy with it.

Is it me or are you stressing a lot over this deck?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »

magimago

My favorite are still the red artifice, black and red seems to be a great combination.
I like white playing cards a lot, just for the artifice -series i find the backs a little bit boring, when compared to the other colors.
I m actualy curious if the faces will be strictly black and white as well, with red and black pips.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
My favorite are still the red artifice, black and red seems to be a great combination.
I like white playing cards a lot, just for the artifice -series i find the backs a little bit boring, when compared to the other colors.
I m actualy curious if the faces will be strictly black and white as well, with red and black pips.

So kind of like their Ghosts? And I personally think the backs wouldn't be boring in white if the design isn't simply black ink but maybe metallic gray or maybe even that black with gold sparkled in (it escapes me which deck actually had that.... a Blaine deck?). I'm actually hoping that the pips would be done like the blue LTDs with red as usual but that steely gray color. That's what I'd like to see.... probably not what they'd actually do though. :))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:44:12 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
The backs are borderless and the best part of it all... they aren't black  :bosswalk:
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

So kind of like their Ghosts? And I personally think the backs wouldn't be boring in white if the design isn't simply black ink but maybe metallic gray or maybe even that black with gold sparkled in (it escapes me which deck actually had that.... a Blaine deck?). I'm actually hoping that the pips would be done like the blue LTDs with red as usual but that steely gray color. That's what I'd like to see.... probably not what they'd actually do though. :))

I'm thinking maybe an icy blue-gray or a metallic silver for the reds - but definitely not a "Ghost"-style all-black with black-and-red indices.  There's no point in simply copying the concept.  As much as the "gunmetal blue" of the Titanium decks at T11 weren't as well received (they looked more gray than blue), they'd be perfect for this deck's red pips.

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

I'm thinking maybe an icy blue-gray or a metallic silver for the reds - but definitely not a "Ghost"-style all-black with black-and-red indices.  There's no point in simply copying the concept.  As much as the "gunmetal blue" of the Titanium decks at T11 weren't as well received (they looked more gray than blue), they'd be perfect for this deck's red pips.

That would actually work as well so that the colors wouldn't be confusing like the purple Artifices. I like a steely gray or metallic silver or some similar shade for the reds as well. I actually liked the Titanium Bikes that T11 put out. But as much as I liked them, do you think the *gunmetal blue" be fitting of "tundra"? I guess I can see blue being in there for cold or something like that maybe.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:08:10 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:46 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
that back is so beautiful. Thats what I said when I saw it. My friend was surprised when I said it was the deck not the girl that walked by.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That would actually work as well so that the colors wouldn't be confusing like the purple Artifices. I like a steely gray or metallic silver or some similar shade for the reds as well. I actually liked the Titanium Bikes that T11 put out. But as much as I liked them, do you think the *gunmetal blue" be fitting of "tundra"? I guess I can see blue being in there for cold or something like that maybe.

The gunmetal blue was more gray than blue and reflective like ice - it would look right at home on an icy tundra.

that back is so beautiful. Thats what I said when I saw it. My friend was surprised when I said it was the deck not the girl that walked by.

It is pretty sweet...  But nicer than a girl??  :))

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

The gunmetal blue was more gray than blue and reflective like ice - it would look right at home on an icy tundra.

It is pretty sweet...  But nicer than a girl??  :))

She was not ok, plus as far as girls goes there was another on my mind.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
This is looking very clean. As Don had mentioned prior, this is an inverse back design. As you all know the Artifice tuck boxes (Border or no Border) show the back design as it appears on the cards. This latest teaser of the box back I see no border. Hopefully that's only the box design. Maybe they fade to a white border on the actual cards. Based on what I see and the fact they are white cards, Ellusionist might not have seen any reason to have borders on this Tundra design. We will see... The no borders will make or break buying the decks for me. I'm a little more picky then most.

It's looking like a white deck with a white border - you should be very happy with it.

Nope, I'm not stressing. You might be coming to that conclusion based on my combined comments here and on the Fed52. It's simple... I either buy it, or I don't.

I don't know we're your seeing a boarder from this tuck design? It looks to be following suit with v1 and the purple v3 tuck box design (no border).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:14:25 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Nope, I'm not stressing. You might be coming to that conclusion based on my combined comments here and on the Fed52. It's simple... I either buy it, or I don't.

I don't know we're your seeing a boarder from this tuck design? It looks to be following suit with v1 and the purple v3 tuck box design (no border).

With a white design, a white border is the same as no border isn't it? I mean assuming the stock is white of course and not made to look "vintage" like some of the D&D decks. But I guess those cards don't count as being "white".

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On a white deck, unless it's got a design printed into the bleed, "borderless" actually is a white border!

If the background of the back has a color and everything else applies, the deck's border is the background color.

A design going into the bleed (like Bee Diamond Backs or Texan Palmettos) are truly borderless.

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
all of the v1 styled decks have a black border. or did people miss the black rim around the deck?
have you heard the word???

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
With a white design, a white border is the same as no border isn't it? I mean assuming the stock is white of course and not made to look "vintage" like some of the D&D decks. But I guess those cards don't count as being "white".

True... That's really what I meant prior when I wrote Ellusionist not having the need to have a (defined clean white) border like v2 because the design itself is white. That also could meet my playing card preferred style. We will wait a see... The teaser is doing its job.

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Here we are : front and back.

I guess they looks the same like others artifice decks. ( I'm still waiting for my order  ::) )

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Here we are : front and back.

I guess they looks the same like others artifice decks. ( I'm still waiting for my order  ::) )

They are very thin fade to white borders. Well played Ellusionist. That works for me!

You are right though, looking at the V1's, those fade to Black.

Questioning the choice to minimize the color RED for the Diamond and Heart Pips and Suits (Ghost Style). That's New for the Artifice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:25:31 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yep! Ghost pips. Anyway, I'm liking the look of the deck overall. Just hope they don't put out a rainbow of colors. Ugh.

What makes you think the design will not look like an Artifice deck?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Honestly, though they look nice, I'm disappointed.  Bastard child of Artifice and Ghost.  Where's the originality?

Let me guess - there will be a black-and-white version named "Lunar" with black background, white pips, etc. like the Black Ghost deck...

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Well, it looks like a white ghost deck with a diff back design, thats all.

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Ugh I'm extremely disappointed with the pip coloring. Too bad cause I was looking forward to something fresh and different. Oh well. My wallet will be a little heavier at the end of the day than I expected.

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:47 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
What sort of pip colouring were you guys looking for?

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
What sort of pip colouring were you guys looking for?

I think we just didn't want to see the faces of the cards looking like their Ghost deck where it's just a minimalistic red and standard black. I personally was looking and hoping the red to be replaced with a gray or a metallic gray just to give it a little life/character separate from their other decks. I know the LTDs were kind of like that but I mean standard red and black? Not bad. But the Ghosts look exactly the same. All we have here is a white Artifice with Artifice courts and Ghost pips.

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Ahh I see. Fair enough point. I guess from one perspective the colours make it a bit more practical for performing magic, however I can definitely see the idea behind the silver and metallic inks.

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Honestly, this deck isn't "Artifice Tundra" - it's "Artifice Ghost".  They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.  This is really a letdown.  They're nice looking, but so devoid of originality - it's like they came up with it during a 420 session while watching Adult Swim for too long...  "Hey, man - the Artifice is a really popular deck, and so is the Ghost - what if we put them together?  That's like, twice as good, right?"  I would have preferred a whole new deck over this, really.

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Ugh I'm extremely disappointed with the pip coloring. Too bad cause I was looking forward to something fresh and different. Oh well. My wallet will be a little heavier at the end of the day than I expected.

I have to agree with you. I'm going to pass on this deck.

The back design in white (fade borders) works so well. I'm almost surprised they did not create a white deck a long time ago. The Pips kill it for me. In my opinion, design should never interfere with function (Color changes, Poker table eye recognition). There is a little bit of red but not enough. Using the ghost concept and calling it something entirely different (tundra) is also disappointing. They could have done something very cool with the white artifice decks and still kept the pips and court cards true to the artifice brand.

Honestly, this deck isn't "Artifice Tundra" - it's "Artifice Ghost".  They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.  This is really a letdown.  They're nice looking, but so devoid of originality - it's like they came up with it during a 420 session while watching Adult Swim for too long...  "Hey, man - the Artifice is a really popular deck, and so is the Ghost - what if we put them together?  That's like, twice as good, right?"  I would have preferred a whole new deck over this, really.

Exactly!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:33:51 AM by Don Boyer »