You are Here:
Bēhance: Playing card designs

Author (Read 13098 times)

Bēhance: Playing card designs
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:37:06 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

Re: Bēhance: Playing card designs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:35:03 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:37:46 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm really diggin' the Mythical Gods deck.  I hope it gets produced.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm just surprised that more of these folks aren't either hitting up HOPC or Kickstarter.  Some of these decks deserve to see the light of day.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I'm just surprised that more of these folks aren't either hitting up HOPC or Kickstarter.  Some of these decks deserve to see the light of day.

Because not all are so involved in playing card issues as we are :). Also artists can be good in art but not in business - different  talents.

Marci now knows about HOPC and Kickstarter, about an interest in her project. She promised to try to find their way to print the deck  ;)

HOPC also knows about her deck  ;)

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Someone should PM these folks about this forum + Kickstarter. Lives could be changed!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Someone should PM these folks about this forum + Kickstarter. Lives could be changed!

Did you read this? http://playingcardcollector.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/this-blog-about-this-blog-1st-month-on-wordpress/
Lives are changed (a little ;) )

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:38:12 PM by Collector »

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:32:35 AM by Collector »

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:38:38 PM by Collector »

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I wish I thought up the Spirograph deck.  I have a vintage 1979 ultra deluxe spirograph with the pens and I've been itching to spiro it up.  Guess I'll just do a Light Bright deck.  (and don't steal my idea)  :P
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wish I thought up the Spirograph deck.  I have a vintage 1979 ultra deluxe spirograph with the pens and I've been itching to spiro it up.  Guess I'll just do a Light Bright deck.  (and don't steal my idea)  :P

I don't have to - Hasbro already did...  sort of "pre-stole" it...  :))

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Is there really a Light Bright deck?
I can't find it anywhere.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Is there really a Light Bright deck?
I can't find it anywhere.

Yikes...  I was referring to the idea of Lite Brite being pre-stolen.  No LB deck I know of! But if you try making one, let me know what kind of stationery Hasbro's lawyers type the cease-and-desist letter on, OK?  :))

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Yikes...  I was referring to the idea of Lite Brite being pre-stolen.  No LB deck I know of! But if you try making one, let me know what kind of stationery Hasbro's lawyers type the cease-and-desist letter on, OK?  :))

The light bright itself can be used a tool for creating art without any legal infringement from Hasbro.  Check out my King of hearts, I'm not sure I can do this it takes forever to make one image?

If Hasbro comes after me theirs wouldn't be the first cease and desist order.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The light bright itself can be used a tool for creating art without any legal infringement from Hasbro.  Check out my King of hearts, I'm not sure I can do this it takes forever to make one image?

If Hasbro comes after me theirs wouldn't be the first cease and desist order.

It would definitely be an infringement if you call it the Lite Brite deck!  And some deck designers spend a LOT of time on their art - go look up the story behind the WhiteKnuckle decks.  Every bit of his art is freehand, and every single card has unique pip designs, in addition to court cards modeled after his friends and using depth of field techniques to make the images more realistic than anything I've seen from David Blaine, CARC or Lawrence Sullivan.  I think he took a couple of years making it and it nearly ruined his sanity...

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
[It would definitely be an infringement if you call it the Lite Brite deck! 

Ah yes, don't call it a light brite deck.  However, you can call it a Bright Light deck with no worries, if you went with Brite Lite there could be some argument for infringement. As for the time to create every card on one of my 8 lite brites, I don't know if I have enough sanity left to handle it.  However, I intend to forge on.  The challenge is that pixellating an image to fit a standard 44 x 39 peg board is never going to work for face cards. The numbered cards are no issue at all.  So I have to be creative while allowing for print at 2.5 x 3.5 without making it look like just a pixel image.  I still think a 'Lite Brite' deck is a good idea.   
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Ah yes, don't call it a light brite deck.  However, you can call it a Bright Light deck with no worries, if you went with Brite Lite there could be some argument for infringement. As for the time to create every card on one of my 8 lite brites, I don't know if I have enough sanity left to handle it.  However, I intend to forge on.  The challenge is that pixellating an image to fit a standard 44 x 39 peg board is never going to work for face cards. The numbered cards are no issue at all.  So I have to be creative while allowing for print at 2.5 x 3.5 without making it look like just a pixel image.  I still think a 'Lite Brite' deck is a good idea.

Hasbro might still take a shot at it, claiming it's too similar to their product's name.  If you called it something like "Color Dots" you'd have a better leg to stand on.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hasbro might still take a shot at it, claiming it's too similar to their product's name.  If you called it something like "Color Dots" you'd have a better leg to stand on.

Just spoke  to the really sweet people at Hasbro, they are quite friendly in customer service.  The legal department, not so much.  We had a 10 minute "we can take this in front of a judge" conversation, but admittedly they have no rights around the term Bright Lights, Bright Lights Big City and so on.  I cannot show the product, product box... in any way.  However the pegs being lit up they have no exclusivity to, they lost that years ago and the folks who create digital boards with LEDs already won the right to create pixelated art with light.  I asked them if they wanted to hire me to design the deck on their behalf to help promote the product, they transferred me to R&D.  The answer, "If we wanted to do it, we would do it in house."  They apparently have Lite Brite expert level designers who can do this so much better than me.  Oh well.  Again, I put a lot of effort into something I'm not really sure I want to take on, but I so enjoy calling my friends over at Hasbro.  Now I need to call PB to see if they want to join the 21st century and publish non-lame games. :)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Now I need to call PB to see if they want to join the 21st century and publish non-lame games. :)

Yeah, good luck with that one...  I think board games as a category peaked about 30-40 years ago...

Just be careful about the pitfalls of not checking.  Adam Clarkson could tell you first-hand, were it not for the pesky cease-and-desist he got over the Bicycle Army Men deck...  According to what he's telling everyone, he's not even permitted to discuss what's happening until a full settlement can be reached.  And there's hardly an experienced deck designer here that hasn't run into one issue or another with USPC Legal over some niggling detail.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
And there's hardly an experienced deck designer here that hasn't run into one issue or another with USPC Legal over some niggling detail.

Now there's the real issue, while you can do the legwork necessary to ensure you are not infringing on Patents, TM and Copyright, the manufacturer sometimes comes in to validate your findings and that's where the red tape begins.  I spent 3 years just pursuing a TM, which became a bust as the product we were patenting was rejected by the patent office because someone had previously presented and was approved for a patent based on a 'drawing' without even a working prototype. 

Well, if I do end up making these it'll probably just be for fun.  Just a novelty art deck. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter: