You are Here:
Eastern Blizzard

Author (Read 972 times)

Eastern Blizzard
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

How did everyone do with the eastern blizzard we got? I live on long island (20 mins from the fork) and man we got a ton of snow. Looking outside there's a good 2 feet where I am.
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: Eastern Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, I drive to work in Manhattan late at night.  We got about half what you did, and CT got your total and Manhattan's combined.

PS: 7,500th post - new rank!  Bishop of Aether.  Haven't ranked up in 2,500 posts...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Also on Long Island, got about 2 feet where I am. Everything is still fairly messy, although the major highways are somewhat decently cleared.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:39 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Seems like New England can't catch a break
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Also on Long Island, got about 2 feet where I am. Everything is still fairly messy, although the major highways are somewhat decently cleared.

There's a stretch of I-495/Long Island Expressway that's still shut down due to heavy snow - they're trying to plow it out now so it's ready for the morning rush but I have my doubts they'll finish in time.

Seems like New England can't catch a break

Not just New England.  New England is all the states north and east of New York, but New York isn't part of New England.

And that's pretty much like saying Barrow, Alaska (northernmost city in the United States) can't catch a break...  You live far enough north, you're gonna get snow, it's as simple as that.

International Falls, MN gets it much worse - the record low temperature for any given day on the calendar is held more frequently by that city than any other in the contiguous 48 states.  They typically see subzero temperatures in winter with wind chills hitting as low as -40 degrees F.  (Which coincidentally is also -40 degrees C...)  Anything near the Great Lakes gets whopping amounts of snow in winter.

I think the record in International Falls was a windchill of -70 deg. F.  TV news reporters were demonstrating just how cold that is by tossing a boiling hot cup of water into the air - the water hits the ground pretty much frozen.  At windchill factors that low, exposed skin will freeze in 30 SECONDS.  At -20 it takes about an hour, while at -200 it happens instantly.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah, my brother goes to Yale and lives in New Haven and he was basically snowed in. Being from South of the Great Lakes, he's used to snow, but they got a shit-ton for sure.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I got 30 inches of snow, lost power for over 3 days. And it just snowed again this weekend. The winter sucks...

Move to the west coast, where the sun always shines and where we have no idea what natural disasters are. Except California, but we don't talk about California.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I got 30 inches of snow, lost power for over 3 days. And it just snowed again this weekend. The winter sucks...

Move to the west coast, where the sun always shines and where we have no idea what natural disasters are. Except California, but we don't talk about California.

What about Seattle/Tacoma...?  They don't get a lot of sunshine from what I hear...  :))

I guess the West Coast is a great choice - if you only choose Oregon...

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have been told the blizzard is suppose to hit us in kansas later this week. 10 inches of snow is predicted.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »

fusionx2

• Newcomer

• last.fm:

Sounds like a good idea. Getting really sick of the cold and snow. At least it rained today instead of snow.