• Forum Regular

Re: Wired.com story about Playing Cards & Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
They should do a write up on Lance, as well, who basically got us all started on KS!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well look at that. Sweet.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I think it's funny that there needs to be an article about this. As if card collecting is new. Maybe more popular but it isn't new. Most hobbies have wanes and waxes of people being interested and disinterested.

It is good to know that our hobby is getting more popular (let's just hope it doesn't make it harder to get new releases :) ).
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think it's funny that there needs to be an article about this. As if card collecting is new. Maybe more popular but it isn't new. Most hobbies have wanes and waxes of people being interested and disinterested.

It is good to know that our hobby is getting more popular (let's just hope it doesn't make it harder to get new releases :) ).

Actually, the Wired article was less about the hobby of card collecting and more about the synergy that's developed between Kickstarter and USPC to get custom decks made.

Wired estimated that about $600,000 was raised by successful KS projects printing with USPC.  They probably make that much in a full print run of Bike Standards and Bees for retailers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:30:57 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!

Actually, the Wired article was less about the hobby of card collecting and more about the synergy that's developed between Kickstarter and USPC to get custom decks made.

Wired estimated that about $600,000 was raised by successful KS projects printing with USPC.  They probably make that much in a full print run of Bike Standards and Bees for retailers.

How embarrassing. I have always tended to pride myself in my reading comprehension but I guess I can boast about that no more.  ;) with that said, I've never really been a fan of the decks that gain exposure through Kickstarter but I do see how it can be an amazing vessel for designers to get their decks printed.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."